Navy SEALS not MARSOC?
Closed Thread
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Navy SEALS not MARSOC?

Hello Marines I have a question relating to the mission which killed Osama Bin Laden. Why is it that they sent in the Navy SEALS and not MARSOC? I know this may seem like a dumb question but I don't see why MARSOC couldn't have been used. Any answers are appreciated. Thank you and sorry if this has been posted already.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
    Hello Marines I have a question relating to the mission which killed Osama Bin Laden. Why is it that they sent in the Navy SEALS and not MARSOC? I know this may seem like a dumb question but I don't see why MARSOC couldn't have been used. Any answers are appreciated. Thank you and sorry if this has been posted already.
    Why do you think MARSOC would have done a better job? Isn't that what you're implying?. I think the SEAL's did an outstanding job

But if you call this number they might be able to help 202-456-1414. It's the White House

Quote Originally Posted by BauerBrat View Post
    But if you call this number they might be able to help 202-456-1414. It's the White House

That's great. HAHAHA

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BauerBrat View Post
    Why do you think MARSOC would have done a better job? Isn't that what you're implying?. I think the SEAL's did an outstanding job

I'm not implying anything actually. I'm just asking why they didn't use MARSOC since they can be used for the same thing and both travel by the same means. And yes I do agree they did an outstanding job. And also I'm not saying either is better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
    Why is it that they sent in the Navy SEALS and not MARSOC?
    Because the theater commander felt that the SEALS were the best available forces for the job. "Best Available" is the key phrase -- why SEALS and not MARSOC or DELTA -- I guess that depends on the situation - what other missions were the MARSOC or DELTA assets assigned to?

Many of the skills between these groups are redundant - nonetheless, some teams show better capabilities - just a fraction better in this or that, or perhaps the commander of the SEAL team had more time on station, or perhaps the MARSOC guys just got back from (or were committed to another mission).

It isn't a competition - we're all part of the same team, working on the same goal.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    Because the theater commander felt that the SEALS were the best available forces for the job. "Best Available" is the key phrase -- why SEALS and not MARSOC or DELTA -- I guess that depends on the situation - what other missions were the MARSOC or DELTA assets assigned to?

Many of the skills between these groups are redundant - nonetheless, some teams show better capabilities - just a fraction better in this or that, or perhaps the commander of the SEAL team had more time on station, or perhaps the MARSOC guys just got back from (or were committed to another mission).

It isn't a competition - we're all part of the same team, working on the same goal.

Great points Mike. The assignments are theater and asset based. Who knows how many ops all our super secret forces have gone on. This one made headlines because of the target

Brat is that he direct line to the WH or will I get put on hold? I want to ask about getting a parking ticket I got in D.C. taken care of

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post

Because the SOCOM CO was a SEAL. MARSOC have been taking missions away from the SEALS recently, because of an incident the SEALS had in Afghanistan. In all reality MARSOC operators are all around better than the SEALS.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    The coin flip.. Head's or Tail's...

MARSOC is still young, and they sure as chit ain't DEVGRU... DEVGRU is basically the Delta Force of the Navy.

Would've been great publicity for the MARSOC. The SEALS sure are the darlings of the nation right now (and deservedly so).

IF MARSOC is all that, they'll have their opportunity some day so we'll see then. I'm sure they'll make us all proud.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Would've been great publicity for the MARSOC. The SEALS sure are the darlings of the nation right now (and deservedly so).

IF MARSOC is all that, they'll have their opportunity some day so we'll see then. I'm sure they'll make us all proud.

Top, to be honest before I can on LN I never heard of MARSOC. Perhaps that's a good thing, to keep as low a profile as possible

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Top, to be honest before I can on LN I never heard of MARSOC. Perhaps that's a good thing, to keep as low a profile as possible
    They are a very relatively new SOCOM asset, they only just got stood up in 2005. But they are very quickly making a name for themselves.

Last edited by martinj; 05-09-11 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Seapelling

And while interesting, and we can debate this one forever, (and some good information posted by ALL, thank you) I think this one has the ability to derail waaaaaay too fast and get the kids off track while 'we' throw monkey poop at each other. LOL.

Closed for the good of the order.

Thread Information