Dependents
Create Post

Thread: Dependents

Dependents

Greetings Marines. I am in the process of enlisting in the Marine Corps as a reserve and I have 2 kids and a fiance (shes mother to both my children). When I initially visited my recruiter, I was interested in going AD and they said that I could with 2 kids, but advised me to not get married before shipping off. They also told me that if I got married, that I would have to enlist as a reserve.

My fiance is turning 26 and is now being dropped from her mother's benefits, so we decided that we would go ahead and get married before signing, that way she can have benefits while I'm away at Recruit Training, MCT and MOS school. I gave the news to my recruiter and now he is telling me that I can not enlist as a reserve with 3 dependents, without getting a waiver and the chances of receiving a waiver are slim to none. He told me if I want to become a Marine, to get married after recruit training.

Ultimately, I will do what I gotta do, but I want to make sure my family is squared away before shipping, because you never know what can happen.

US Military Enlistment Standards
    Dependents

The military has regulations that actually *REQUIRE* you to provide adequate financial support for your dependents. Because of this, the military limits the number of dependents an applicant can have. Those who exceed the stated number of dependents require a waiver. Before a dependency waiver is granted for any of the services, the recruiting service will conduct a financial eligibility determination (i.e., they will look closely at your household bills and the income of your spouse).

Marine Corps: In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent under the age of 18.

Who is a Dependent?

For enlistment purposes, a "dependent" is defined as:

a. A spouse, to include a common law spouse if the state recognizes such; or

b. Any natural child (legitimate or illegitimate) or child adopted by the applicant, if the child is under 18 years of age and unmarried, regardless of whether or not the applicant has custody of the child. The term natural child includes any illegitimate child when: the applicant claims the child as theirs, or the applicant's name is listed on the birth certificate as the parent, or a court order establishes paternity; or if any person makes an allegation of paternity that has not been finally adjudicated by a court; or

c. A stepchild of the applicant who resides with the applicant if the stepchild is under 18 years of age; or

d. Any parent or other person(s) who is/are, in fact, dependent on the applicant for more than one-half of their support.

When a Spouse is not Considered a Dependent

In general, for enlistment purposes, an applicant is considered to be without a spouse (unmarried), if:

a. Common law marriage has not been recognized by a civil court, or state law.

b. Spouse incarcerated.

c. Spouse deceased.

d. Spouse has deserted the applicant.

e. Spouse legally separated from the applicant. (For the Army, separation by "mutual consent" is sufficient.)

f. Applicant or spouse has filed for divorce. (Note: If the divorce action is "contested," the service may deny enlistment until after the dispute is resolved in family court).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/enldep.htm

Thank you for your response PFC Lisa. Your post seems to be the official precedence, but then why would my recruiter tell me I need a waiver for 3 dependents and not need one for 2 dependents? At first he told me I could enlist as a reserve with 3 dependents and then he changed on me after I told him I was going to get married before signing.

soon2b27, I can't answer your question for you. You're either going to have to talk more about this with your recruiter, or there is a recruiter or 2 who frequent this site, who can help you out much better than I can.

Afternoon Marines,

I am currently in C school at CNATT MARDET here in Camp Pendleton and soon I will be receiving orders to my permanent duty station. My fiance and I were curious, if we waited until I am stationed to get married, would the Marine Corps pay for her to her things out to me or does she have to already be included in my orders as a dependant for that to happen?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drubdu View Post
    Afternoon Marines,

I am currently in C school at CNATT MARDET here in Camp Pendleton and soon I will be receiving orders to my permanent duty station. My fiance and I were curious, if we waited until I am stationed to get married, would the Marine Corps pay for her to her things out to me or does she have to already be included in my orders as a dependant for that to happen?
    start your own thread!!....why dig up an old one that has no similarities to what you are asking??

Thread Information