law enforcement officers who run into posers on a daily basis - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I must say that I have you all beat. I am a cop in Dallas, and roll two man everyday with another Marine on the deep nights shift. On three different occassions now we have found cars parked out on the side of the street or in a park, blacked out, and ignition off. As we move closer we find two males (sometimes you can only tell one is a male until you get real close and see the adam's apple) in the car, two out of three times the passenger is pulling his pants back up as we approach. Annnnddddd as we investigate further we find that to no suprise the passenger all three times has a long record of prostitution charges. All three times as we ask the driver for id the first thing he pulls out is his Retired U.S. Army Military Identification Card and lets us know he is Retired Army!!!!!!! My disclaimer is that these are three different people. So I don't know what the Army is teaching during their retirement and transition courses, but something isn't working! Although this is not really a poser situation, I thought you would enjoy...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Hopefully, he is appropriately charged.

And informed...LOL. Used to LOVE to do that. Of course most of them know already...just pretending.

Sick puppies...

Oh we always throw in there at the end "you know that was a dude right????" and we always hear back "we were just talkin....." Yeah I bet you were....

I get a lot of second-hand information from people who are friends and friends of friends. If someone will try to put some BS past someone he knows is/was military, think of what they will tell your girlfriend/sister, etc.

I know everyone here has to have had those experiences where you're at a party or other gathering and someone who knows you are/were in the military will start off with a story about how their friend/relative was the coolest thing since sliced bread and when you correct them on the mistakes in their story, they think you're the one who is full of it.

I also like it when someone from a different branch tries to tell me something about the Marine Corps.

I had one Army captain at a veterans' function who was convinced that the Marine Corps has neither an officer's sword or an NCO sword.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Ive posted this before. This has to be a classic. I heard a group of men talking about Viet Nam one day. So I got close enough to hear everything. This one guy, about my age. Was telling these idiots he was a sgt. in Nam. He said he was a fighter pilot. Said that when they flew missions off the carrier. They had to fly under the radar. He said he flew so low over the China Sea. He would put the canopy back on his aircraft and hang his arm over the side and put his hand in the water.

Mongoose, I would have died laughing at that. Sounds like the guy was watching too many cartoons while he hid out in Canada....

honestly i had gotten off a plane after my deployment... driving my mom's car. I get a phone call about my grandma and she made a turn for the worst. so i went 60 in a 55.... this cop pulls me over she asked why i was speeding i told her the short version... she told me i was lying about being deployed, made fake orders, and made a fake ID. lol she gave me a hand full of tickets and called for back up. idk wtf goes on in the little town i use to live in but HOLY SH!T!! But I def was ****ed. so i called my command they talked to the police and all this other bull****... i got a "oh my bad here's your speeding ticket" lol. and this 2009 brand new mustang was speeding past us and the one cop said he was too lazy to go back to his car to get him. lol. boyyyy i was ****ed. Should have showed them my illuminati tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by Meserole08orah View Post
    honestly i had gotten off a plane after my deployment... driving my mom's car. I get a phone call about my grandma and she made a turn for the worst. so i went 60 in a 55.... this cop pulls me over she asked why i was speeding i told her the short version... she told me i was lying about being deployed, made fake orders, and made a fake ID. lol she gave me a hand full of tickets and called for back up. idk wtf goes on in the little town i use to live in but HOLY SH!T!! But I def was ****ed. so i called my command they talked to the police and all this other bull****... i got a "oh my bad here's your speeding ticket" lol. and this 2009 brand new mustang was speeding past us and the one cop said he was too lazy to go back to his car to get him. lol. boyyyy i was ****ed. Should have showed them my illuminati tattoo
    The only time I ever got that kind of treatment was in those speed trap towns in East Texas along I-59, but that had nothing to do with military service. Usually, I get good treatment from police.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    As often as I can. Depends on the violation, and the 'customers' attitude at the time of the stop, truth be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Meserole08orah View Post
    Most times , you stop someone to cite them, you're mind was made up already.
    (it aint easy to snow a snowman)
    rarely do you go any easier on them from my experience.
    "Attitude" like lep said , does make "THE" difference.
    "Citizen" comes off like a hard ass - just makes matters worse.

well it was a female so i think she was mad that i was skinny lol. i dont thin i was rude... more in a panic because of my grandma. by my god... 5 MILES??? she lied and said i was going 74... then claimed i was going 71. lol then said i was going to slow. that was while she was giving me a lecture on my speeding issues. lol she's just jealous ::::flips hair out of face ever so nicely:::: lmao

She probably just wanted your number LOL.

MOST of the time, yeah, when I decided to stop someone, my mind was already made up.

Esp. if I was working an overtime assignment where I was specifically out there to WRITE cites.

There WERE exceptions, however....

1: If the person had a great story that I hadn't heard before.
    2: If the person made me laugh.
    3: If the person was sooo cheerful (not drunk/stoned LOL) even after I stopped them.

Credits
    Savings
    Correct me if I am wrong, LEO's, but I believe you have a right to see the radar gun readout.

I have asked on occasion and have never been refused. Generally the officer would apologize, saying the gun had been reset/turned off. 'Hmmm, seems it would be bit of me vs you', and we would part company.

One other thing, an LEO friend advised, never give your speed as OVER the speed limit, when asked, 'just how fast do you think you were going'.

Having Marine stickers on my Jeep never hurt a thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, LEO's, but I believe you have a right to see the radar gun readout.

I have asked on occasion and have never been refused. Generally the officer would apologize, saying the gun had been reset/turned off. 'Hmmm, seems it would be bit of me vs you', and we would part company.

One other thing, an LEO friend advised, never give your speed as OVER the speed limit, when asked, 'just how fast do you think you were going'.

I've never thought to ask to see the radar gun. When I'm pulled over, I was usually speeding and the few tickets I do get, I consider that a tax for driving as fast as I do.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post

Seeing the radar is determined by law in each state. Most do not allow citizens to see the radar simply because most radars are manufactured to no longer lock.

In Michigan this is so. Not only wouldn't you see your speed, but officers also don't have to let you even see the radar unit due to roadside hazards. Most people don't know what they're looking at and see the speed number of a passing car and assume that was their "real" speed and are being screwed over. Also, locking radars are illegal for PDs to use in Michigan and have been for over 30-years that I'm aware of.

Why no speed locks? It keeps lazy police officers (in the days when you had to show the radar if requested) from locking one car then using that speed for all of the rest of their stops. Or, having a speed lock in and not have visually observed the violation (i.e., they stop the wrong car as a result).

Most states require officers to visually observe a speeding violation and only use the radar to confirm it. Additionally, traffic radar units have an audio function that allows the officer to actually hear the Doppler return to the radar unit. In other words, I can also hear you speeding too.

A well experienced traffic radar operator can visually estimate your speed to the exact mile per hour most of the time before even looking at the speed display. I could do this, no problem.

So, seeing the radar unit does you no good since none of your data will be there anyway.

Also, a lot of people complain that an officer running radar on one side of a divided highway can't stop them for speeding on the other side because of the large angle difference. True, there is an angle difference and in traffic radar it is know as the "cosine error." Yes, it does cause an error in the speed display - in the violator's favor. The error will show you going slower than you actually were.

However, the actual error is small and may not even cause a one MPH shift. B*tching in court about the "error" proving radars are per se defective does you no good because traffic judges know how traffic radars work.

Not admitting your speed is always a good idea. Not that it will help then on the street, but it darned sure won't hurt later in court.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LIDAR is used here in Florida, and so is RADAR. Michigan as well.

Like any mature electronic device, 99% of the problems will stem from operator error. Proper training takes care of most of those.

So many people think that judges can't smell a rat if an officer keeps having identical shaky cases come to court. Despite all of the dumb lawyer jokes, I know most lawyers are not stupid. Azzholes maybe, but not stupid. Sooner or later, those funny cases have a way of falling like a bomb on that officer. I just never saw the need to write bogus or even shaky tickets. Wait a few minutes and a rock solid one would come along. We didn't have quotas anyway. The chief let us write as many as we wanted to.

In Michigan, officers do not have to write skids for the exact speed they stopped the car for. Most of the time, I wrote only for five over. But there was a block on the ticket where you wrote the actual radar speed (plus in your written comments). The judges used that info too when it came to "giving a break."

Over the years I've learned that way too many Americans really do not know the extent of their rights, or the extent of law enforcement authority (vague Constitutional arguments aside, I'm talking reality). It can be an awfully hard brick wall, that reality thing.

Did you know it is a false arrest if you don't read the arrested person their Miranda Rights? That one always tickled me.

Thread Information