The Date
    June 4-7-1942

THE PLACE
    1,135 miles west-northwest of Pearl Harbor
    - a tiny atoll,
    barely six miles in diameter

THE EVENT
    The Battle of Midway - the scene of
    America's first real victory over the Japanese.

THE MEMORIES
    The fight-to-the death slugfest
    that saw our carrier, the Yorktown, and Japan's
    Hiryu both so badly damaged they had to be abandoned.

.....Memories of WW II - Reader's Digest

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Ray, I was thinking we broke the Jap code. As a result, was ready for them, and more or less destroyed their main fleet. After Midway, they were ineffective as a Naval force. I could be wrong.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Ray, I was thinking we broke the Jap code. As a result, was ready for them, and more or less destroyed their main fleet. After Midway, they were ineffective as a Naval force. I could be wrong.
    No you are correct Billy. We did break their code which allowed us to know that they were heading for Midway and not the West coast. They lost 4 of their 6 fleet carriers, which pretty much derailed their expansion plans. After Midway the Japs went into a defensive mode

Good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Show Off - You saw the movie to.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Russ he told me he read a book about it. Man that did sound a little fishy come to think about it

A massive Japanese fleet was streaming toward Midway: 8 carriers, 11 battleships, 22 cruisers, 65 destroyers and 21 submarines. Waiting to confront this powerful armada lay part of America's Pacific Fleet- three carriers with 233 planes but NO battleships.

But the Japanese admirals had miscalculated. They didn't know we'd broken the Japanese code and didn't think the U.S. fleet would even be at sea. And the Marines already stationed on Miway Island were ready, too. Their commanding officer had ordered so much barbed wire strung that one Marine complained:
    "Barbed wire, barbed wire! Cripes, the old man thinks we can stop planes with barbed wire!"

But stop them they did. As the Japanese approached Midway, the Americans wreaked havoc on their fleet from the air. In two days, four Japanese carriers would be sunk, and the tides of war had begun to turn.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Russ, knowledge is a wonderful thing to have. Ill sit down with you and explain what its like to carry on a conversation with people in the know, one day.

Credits
    Savings
    Russ, Billy made up this chart and sent it to me. Said he didn't want to show off his vast knowledge on this subject so he asked me to post it. Russ you really should sit down and talk with him some day, he'll amaze you

Imperial Japanese Navy Ship Type United States Navy
    Hiryu | Kaga | Soryu | Akagi CV Enterprise | Hornet | Yorktown
    Zuiho CVL None
    Kamikawa Maru | Chiyoda | Nisshin CVS None
    Fuso | Haruna | Hiei | Hyuga | Ise | Kirishima | Kongo | Mutsu | Nagato | Yamashiro | Yamato BB None
    Chikuma | Chokai | Haguro | Jintsu | Kitagami | Kumano | Mikuma | Mogami | Myoko | Nagara | Oi | Suyuza | Tone CA Minneapolis | New Orleans | Northampton | Pensacola | Portland | Vincennes Light Cruiser: Atlanta
    Amagiri | Amatsukaze | Arare | Arashi | Arashio | Asagiri | Asashio | Asagumo | Ayanami | Fubuki | Hagikaze | Hamakaze | Harusame | Hatsukaze | Hatsuyuki | Hayashio | Isokaze | Isonami | Kagero | Kasumi | Kazagumo | Kuroshio | Maikaze | Makigumo | Minegumo | Marazuki | Murakumo Murasame | Natsugumo | Nowake | Oyashio | Samidare | Shikinami | Shiranuhi | Shirakumo | Shirayuki | Tanikaze | Tokitsukaze | Urakaze | Uranami | Yudachi | Yugiri | Yugumo | Yukaze | Yukikaze
    DD Anderson | Balch | Benham | Blue | Clark | Conyngham | Dewey | Ellet | Gwin| Hammann | Hughes | Maury | Monaghan | Monssen | Morris | Phelps | Russell | Ralph | Talbot | Worden
    I-122 | I-123 | I-156 | I-157 | I-158 | I-159 | I-162 | I-164 | I-165 | I-166 | I-168 | I-169 | I-171 | I-174 | I-175 | Submarine Cuttlefish | Dolphin | Finback | Flying Fish | Gato | Grayling | Grenadier | Grouper | Growler | Grudgeon | Narwhal | Nautilus | Pike | Plunger | Tambor | Tarpon | Trigger | Trout
    Genyo | Kenyo | Kukoyu | Kyokuto | Naruto | Nichiei | Nippon | San Clemente | Sata | Shnikoku | Toa | Toei | Tohu | Tsurumi AO Guadalupe | Platt
    No. 2 | No. 34 | No. 35 PT PT-21 | PT-22 | PT-24 | PT-25 | PT-26 | PT-27 | PT-28 | PT-29 | PT-30
    Meiyo | Yamafuku AE None
    Tama Maru No. 5 | Showa Maru No. 7 | Showa Maru No. 8 AMS None
    No. 17 | No. 18 SC None
    Akashi RS None
    97 x Aichi D3A "Val" | 101 x Nakajima B5N "Kate" A/C 129 x Douglas SBD-3 "Dauntless" | 42 x Douglas TBD-1 "Devastator" | 32 x PBY-5/A "Catalina" | 6 x Grumman TBF "Avenger" | 4 x Martin B-26 "Marauder" | 19 x Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress"

I lived on Midway for 3 1/2 years January 2004 to June 2005 and from Feb 2006- May 2008. I was a airport firefighter/emt/airport operations officer and airport manager out there.

The first Medal of Honor was won by a Marine in WWII was on Midway December 7th 1941 by 1st Lt. George Cannon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._Cannon

It is on my bucket list to fly an airplane, (co-pilot is fine) land, finish some unfinished business get on my airplane and leave.

Thread Information