Mock Boot Camp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mock Boot Camp

Sounds neato. We had a field meet in Camp Pendleton last weekend. We got third place out of all the RSS's that were there (RSS Clairemont! Zoot!), got a mean sunburn which I still have lingering, and had 3 D.I's chew my azz out at once simply because they can. Don't even get me started on the MRE's. Still fun nonetheless, so I think your boot camp thingy will be vaguely similar to our field meet, just longer.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I got back from the mock boot camp last night, and I gotta tell you, it was sick. the first day, from the time we arrived to the time we went to bed we were in formation with our platoon doing close order drill with a DI (the other platoons were with other DI's doing other stuff, I didn't really get to see), PTing, basically getting a taste of what boot camp was gonna be like. At the end of the day we all slept on a concrete floor of some warehouse in sleeping bags with 2 people pulling 30 minute firewatches. On top of that, DI's were going around just ripping people apart for stuff like talking in their sleep, having their hair too long, looking at the DI's, not saying "good evening sir/ma'am/gentlemen" correctly, just anything they could possibly rip you a new one for. There was one kid who gave a DI attitude and had to do squats inside his sleeping bag while holding a full cooler at like 2:30 in the morning. The next day we got an MRE for breakfast, marched to the Army arsenal in Albany while shouting knowledge and cadence and stuff like that, and then competed against all the other RSS's in pullups, a relay run with the platoon guide-on, square pushups (which is like 4 poolees with each of their ankles on another poolee's back), fireman's carry, knowledge, and tug of war. After all the competitions were over, the winners got those warrior bags, and we got another MRE.

That was pretty much it lol, I left out a lot of details, but if you wanna know more or if you have one coming up feel free to ask and I'll fill you guys in lol. But overall it was an awesome experience and all the poolees at my station are really tight now because of it.

thats sounds really cool, im jealous, i dont think my RSS would've done that great on some of those competitions but still would've loved to do it, but i get to taste the real thing in about 30 days, i cant wait

Where did you guys end up going? Was it somewhere near the RSS?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    No it was about a 3-4 hour drive from our RSS, up near the actual recruiting station (not substation).

But there were some RSS's that didn't win any of the competitions and it didn't really matter, the whole point of the exercise was to get a taste of what boot camp would be like, and to develop a bond between all the poolees in your platoon.

Just an FYI, visitors were welcome there, and it seemed like a good way to get referrals. So if you have one in your area bring people!!

Any other information you can impart?

My RSS is going to Springfield Mass. this Saturday comming up. Alls I was told theres going to be alot other RSS's going up and were going to be eating MRE's. Ill let you guys know next monday what it was.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah you get an MRE every 12 hours or so up there with about 5-6 hours of sleep. Two words that'll help you get through: speed and intensity. Everything you do has to be done w/ speed and intensity or else you're in for some special attention from the DI's.

Also when you go up, know your knowledge!! There were so many kids who knew absolutely none of the stuff in that little book they give you, and it was just sad. Just make sure you know all your general orders, JJDIDTIEBUCKLE and your rank structure cause you'll be reciting it alot.

It's not necessary, but also make sure you bring a small compact sleeping bag and a backpack cause it'll make marching a lot easier.

Last tip: MARK EVERYTHING!! And make sure you keep it all together whenever your platoon moves!! There were a lot of kids who had to steal other platoon's water bottles because htey had theirs stolen from them cause they didn't keep it with their gear.

I just got back from one of these as well, and all i could think through the whole thing was, "Wow, if he moved faster he wouldn't be running in place for half an hour." or "Wow, if he was louder, he wouldn't be doing planks right now" or "Ugh, we really should be alot louder so we don't keep having to get on our faces." Take home lesson? As said earlier, speed and intensity. Also, be confident, but not cocky, and DON'T LOOK THEM IN THE EYE. I only made that mistake once. hahaha

Do you have to be the Michael Phelps of PT while you are there? I know there are some people who arent that great at PT that still graduate but i am not the greatest at PT right now.

^^^Bro, I known you have seen some of the Poolees there that look like they shouldn't even be trying but you know what, many of those same ones that dont have the look but have the heart graduate and at times take honor grad.

You WILL come out in shape. I stressed to my recruiter that I want to be able to complete 3 miles without walking. He told me ,"Dont worry......you WILL be able to do 3 or more miles once you complete boot camp. By the first time you run your PFT you will be able to do 3 miles so dont sweat it."

Really didn't boost my confidence but I'm sure he's right. Many Poolees have left and come back Marines that couldn't even do 3 proper pull ups. 1 guy got sent off who couldn't even finish the 1.5 WITHOUT walking portion of it. He hasn't been sent back so I assume all is well.

If you have the heart and push man you WILL graduate. Boot camp will get you in shape but its up to you to have the heart.

I hear you there, im sure im going to get raped but im guessing as long as I keep moving and keep fighting ill graduate.

With respect to the running I was reading in the Ask a Marine section they dont care if you walk during the IST at boot as long as you finish on time I hear they dont care if you walk the entire thing if you can walk 3 miles in 20 min. cant find the post but it was the one with the kid who had a club foot or something like that.

You mean 3 miles in 28 min?

I call bs on walking at ANYTIME during the IST/PFT.

To tell you the truth unless you haul ass for the first mile and can do a 6 minute mile then you can walk the last part.

If I run and walk it in intervals I make it in 1430-1500. If they want you to sprint every damn where during boot then why would it be acceptable to walk during the IST/PFT.

Please dont go in thinking that or you will be IT'd until your ******* comes through your mouth.

Atleast shuffle your feet......It makes it LOOK like youre putting out when you're actually trying to get your breath back

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Buhler, I was at the same event you were. RSS Poughkeepsie here. It was a greatg event and a good sample of boot camp. If you can't take the roughly 24 hours of bootcamp they give you at events like these, there is no way you can survive 3 months of it. So anyone who has a event like this coming up for there RS, keep in mind what I just said.

A few weeks ago we had a mock boot camp in Albany. It was pretty cool but I'm sure its nothing close to the real deal.

Thread Information