CFT question.
Create Post

Thread: CFT question.

CFT question.

What size are the ammo boxes used in the CFT? Is it a 30 Cal. ammo box?

Im not sure of the exact size, I believe that it is the standard 800rnd 5.56 can, but I do know that it is 30lbs. Hope that helps

I believe it's the larger size, yes. Probably doesn't matter as long as it's 30 pounds, but I could be wrong there. It would make sense for it to be the larger size, might be difficult to get 30 pounds of crud/sand/rock into the smaller ones.

I'm pretty sure we used the 50 cal ammo cans filled to weight

I know this, if it hasn't been watered down or 'normed' it seems like an SOB to do. Those of you doing it, by all means your thoughts are appreciated.

I ordered one to help myself prepare for a CFT, how should i go about getting it to 30 pounds? I was thinking of taking the lead weight off my race car and melting it down to fit in the box perfectly.

Sand, dirt, rocks. Whatever you can evenly distribute inside the box.

I don't remember if the order specifies the type of can. I'm not sure if it was the 50 cal size or not but I've always used the same size can. Since the grip can affect how well you do (one thing I've noticed is that actually gripping the thing instead of letting it merely rest on your hands engages more muscles and results in a better score) it may be standardized.

Doing 92 of them - seriously, why is it 90-something and not simply 100? - isn't fun but since you can stop, put it down and rest as much as needed it's not really that bad.

robby, it's not really worth it to make the can the right weight or anything. A better idea would be to simply get a 35 or 40 pound dumbbell. That way when the actual CFT comes around and you're lifting a few pounds less than what you've trained for you'll give yourself a bit of an edge.

You really don't need an ammo can to train for the event. I use various dumbbells when I am preparing for the CFT. I will start off with 30lb dumbbells then move up in 5lb increments until i get to 55 or 60lbs.

If you can do 60-70 "ammo can" lifts with a 60lb dumbbell then doing 100 with a 30lb can is nothing. Last year for the CFT I was to the point where I was getting 120-140 with a 30lb can in 2 minutes.

Point is, be creative and save your money.

not all cans weigh the same as they are supposed to. I have had ones that felt like 20lbs and others that feel like 40lbs. depends if the sand on the inside gets wet

Thread Information