Leadership
Create Post

Thread: Leadership

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Exclamation Leadership

Hello Marines,
    Im 16 and i really want to become an officer in the United States Marine Corps. I want to do this through the PLC program my sophomore and junior years of college. Other than staying in shape, and getting good grades, what can i do to become a leader? I cant be a club leader because elections are already over. Is it wise to apply for the PLC without any prior leadership experience. This all almost just makes me wonder if i should enlist. I know, you cant be both but heres the thing. Im very responsible and usually get around on my own. However, im also very self disciplined, i dont complain, and i can get things done that others request upon me. Please help me on this!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by eak123 View Post
    Hello Marines,
    Im 16 and i really want to become an officer in the United States Marine Corps. I want to do this through the PLC program my sophomore and junior years of college. Other than staying in shape, and getting good grades, what can i do to become a leader? I cant be a club leader because elections are already over. Is it wise to apply for the PLC without any prior leadership experience. This all almost just makes me wonder if i should enlist. I know, you cant be both but heres the thing. Im very responsible and usually get around on my own. However, im also very self disciplined, i dont complain, and i can get things done that others request upon me. Please help me on this!

Ethan you've asked a very similar question on this matter a few days ago and not only did I respond but two Marine officers responded as well. I gave you two links to read, did you read them?

Just concentrate on finishing HS first. As I said in the other post, go talk to a recruiter when you have the time. He'll be able to help you out

Don't worry about leadership, you'll find out if you have it soon enough. But before you can lead you have to learn how to follow orders. Also, being an officer isn't the same process as being enlisted. OCS is a selection process, just because you get selected to attend doesn't mean you'll earn your commission.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Ethan you've asked a very similar question on this matter a few days ago and not only did I respond but two Marine officers responded as well. I gave you two links to read, did you read them?

Just concentrate on finishing HS first. As I said in the other post, go talk to a recruiter when you have the time. He'll be able to help you out.

Don't worry about leadership, you'll find out if you have it soon enough. But before you can lead you have to learn how to follow orders. Also, being an officer isn't the same process as being enlisted. OCS is a selection process, just because you get selected to attend doesn't mean you'll earn your commission.

Sir, I have to apologize to you. I did read the two links you had and they were VERY helpful. I actually put them under my favorites. There just some guy who claims to trian Marines thats been talking to me. I told him that i wanted to take the PLC program. I told him i was 16 and he kept asking me what i have done for leadership. My reply was that i hadnt done really anything. He said that i better get to it and he said something like "how the hell are you gonna be able to lead Marines into combat if you cant even be a "leader" now. Him saying that just really got to me. I really do question on whether or not he "trains Marines"... a while back before i ever spoke to him, he sent me a msg saying are you pumped for boot? I responded, that i was gonna try to become an officer. Thinking he was a poolee, i responded back asking if he was pumped. He said something like "lol, i did that along time ago" next thing i notice he ends up saying "btw im not a Marine". So then i got really ****ed off at him for pretending to be something hes not just so he could get respect. He then goes on saying that he isnt a Marine but trains Marines. I find that complete bull ****.

Credits
    Savings
    Sir, I have to apologize to you. I did read the two links you had and they were VERY helpful. I actually put them under my favorites. There just some guy who claims to trian Marines thats been talking to me. I told him that i wanted to take the PLC program. I told him i was 16 and he kept asking me what i have done for leadership. My reply was that i hadnt done really anything. He said that i better get to it and he said something like "how the hell are you gonna be able to lead Marines into combat if you cant even be a "leader" now. Him saying that just really got to me. I really do question on whether or not he "trains Marines"... a while back before i ever spoke to him, he sent me a msg saying are you pumped for boot? I responded, that i was gonna try to become an officer. Thinking he was a poolee, i responded back asking if he was pumped. He said something like "lol, i did that along time ago" next thing i notice he ends up saying "btw im not a Marine". So then i got really ****ed off at him for pretending to be something hes not just so he could get respect. He then goes on saying that he isnt a Marine but trains Marines. I find that complete bull ****.
    Ethan no problems with what I told you but I'm concerned about this guy you're talking about. About a month ago, we had another young man in a similar circumstance. Did he tell you he trained Marines in North Carolina??

Credits
    Savings
    Ethan no problems with what I told you but I'm concerned about this guy you're talking about. About a month ago, we had another young man in a similar circumstance. Did he tell you he trained Marines in North Carolina??
    He never mentioned. I did not talk to him on this website.. I spoke with him via facebook. Hes actually on facebook right now...I'll ask him where he trains Marines. I just find it very wierd and hard to believe that a non-Marine is training Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    He just told me that he trains "everywhere"
    This is the exact conversation:
    me: where do you train Marines
    him: everywhere
    me: but your not a Marine?
    him: yep, never going to be one
    private contractor
    travel around to instructor
    thats why i can travel, because i have no base of opporation
    get to meet a lot of cool people

Credits
    Savings
    He just told me that he trains "everywhere"
    This is the exact conversation:
    me: where do you train Marines
    him: everywhere
    me: but your not a Marine?
    him: yep, never going to be one
    private contractor
    travel around to instructor
    thats why i can travel, because i have no base of opporation
    get to meet a lot of cool people
    Ethan thanks for doing that. And he's on this site as well? If don't mind PM me his name on here and we'll look into this matter.

We had a young man who was told by someone he trained Marines, also a private contractor....lol

Sounds as if it's the same idiot. BTW, best not to listen to his advice. Lots of good honest people on here more than willing to help out

Credits
    Savings
    His facebook name is: Azian Turner-Au. I dont know whether or not he is on this page. He just went offline, When he next comes on i'll ask him. However, this might take a while. This is very interesting. I deffinately will not and can not trust him. If you want you can visit his facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/azian?ref=ts
    He definately does not look like his at all qualified or in the shape to train Marines. Keep me updated.

Credits
    Savings
    Ethan thanks for doing that. And he's on this site as well? If don't mind PM me his name on here and we'll look into this matter.

We had a young man who was told by someone he trained Marines, also a private contractor....lol

Sounds as if it's the same idiot. BTW, best not to listen to his advice. Lots of good honest people on here more than willing to help out

His facebook name is: Azian Turner-Au. I dont know whether or not he is on this page. He just went offline, When he next comes on i'll ask him. However, this might take a while. This is very interesting. I deffinately will not and can not trust him. If you want you can visit his facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/azian?ref=ts
    He definately does not look like his at all qualified or in the shape to train Marines. Keep me updated.

Credits
    Savings
    I just looked at his page, he's not the same person. Be careful of who you listen to. Still your best bet is to talk to a recruiter when you feel comfortable.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your help! I'll contact a recruiter when i get a little older. If i still want to become an officer then, i will make sure that i contact an OSO when i get into college. Again, thank you so much for your help! By the way, i removed that guy from my facebook.

Sounds like the typical facebook wannabee poser trashmouth idiot to me. Don't believe everything you read on the 'net. THIS is why we REQUIRE people to have profiles and be 'vetted' around here. You can be sure that you are really talking to a retired Pilot, Naval Officer, Commander when you speak with Cmdr O'Shea.

I can go on f/b right now and claim to be the King of Asscrakistan and people would likely fall for it LOL.

Maybe, on the other hand, he IS training Marines. We have people training us at the moment in the repeal of DADT....or maybe he is the 'before' photo in some of our recruiting material.....

Jus' sayin.

Thanks for posting the link.

I can't help you with your questions, but if you ever want to become a Marine Officer some day, try using punctuation marks were needed, capitalizing the letter "I".....and stop using text abbreviations as a shortcut. There's a time for abbreviations and there's a time not to use abbreviations.

Ask 100 people what you need to do to grow as a leader and you're going to get 100 different answers. As I said before, you have to find you're own leadership style.

The Marine Corps certainly has excellent guidelines to help its officers develop their leadership -- JJDIDTIEBUCKLE. If you (no kidding) follow and live by the Marine Corps' leadership principles and traits, believe me, you will be an excellent leader!

We do not all follow the same path to becoming effective, good, or even great leaders. And the last thing we need are automatons in leadership positions. The Marine Corps needs leaders that can use creativity and critical thinking skills to identify problems, develop solutions, and inspire/motivate/lead Marines to mission accomplishment. So again, you have to use the guidelines the Marine Corps has codified over the 235 years of our existence, coupled with what you know about yourself. ('Know yourself and seek improvement' is one of those principles by the way.)

I could go on at length; but I'd just be contributing to you skipping the first step -- do well in high school and college, be a good person, and stay out of trouble! If you do this, you'll be well on your way to OCS to prove your mettle.

Outstanding answer skipper!

Thread Information