Learning something from the Marines
Create Post

Learning something from the Marines

I graduate college in May, and will hopefully ship out by the end of the year and go active. I want to do 4 years and start a career as a police officer.

I've always wanted infantry, but I figure I might as well pick something that will teach me something useful and will help me in the civilian world. If I do become a cop, are there any MOS's that will help my career as a cop? Infantry and MP seem like the obvious ones, but just seeing if anyone has any ideas of any others.

Go read at http://www.phillypolice.com/careers/...ry-experience/ . I used Philly since that seems to be your current residence. It does not state any specific MOS requirement but brownie points for honorable completion of military service.

Hope that helps.

If you live in a large metro area, being bi-lingual always helps. Intel, analyst, or interogater are also good choices. i know 3 guys who were/are analysts that work for the DEA

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    And if looking to go Federal here's a list of critical skills needed in the FBI

FBI SPECIAL AGENT CRITICAL SKILLS

After qualifying for one of the Entry Programs, Special Agent candidates with one or more Critical Skills will be prioritized in the hiring process.

From my somewhat limited perspective, I've found that most police organizations would prefer that you have some MOS other than MP.

Cops tend to like to hire infantry folks because of the diversity of experiences and the leadership, judgment, and decision making abilities gained being a grunt. Sure, other MOSs bring those skills too - I'm just stating my experience dealing with several police recruiters.

Likewise, they want you to bring other "non-cop" skills in with you. They'll teach you how to be a police officer, but they want you to bring more to the table - as posted above: Finance and/or Accounting experience, IT experience, Languages and Cultural skills, Analytic skills, or a Science or Business background. These are all skills that will help the police force understand and figure out the entangling network of crime beyond just street crime.

What is your undergrad degree?

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    From my somewhat limited perspective, I've found that most police organizations would prefer that you have some MOS other than MP.

Cops tend to like to hire infantry folks because of the diversity of experiences and the leadership, judgment, and decision making abilities gained being a grunt. Sure, other MOSs bring those skills too - I'm just stating my experience dealing with several police recruiters.

Likewise, they want you to bring other "non-cop" skills in with you. They'll teach you how to be a police officer, but they want you to bring more to the table - as posted above: Finance and/or Accounting experience, IT experience, Languages and Cultural skills, Analytic skills, or a Science or Business background. These are all skills that will help the police force understand and figure out the entangling network of crime beyond just street crime.

What is your undergrad degree?
    political science with a minor in criminal justice

I think you'll be fine - as others mentioned above, it's more about completing honorable service than anything else. I have a neighbor who recruits for the Fairfax County Police Department (VA) and he prefers to hire veterans, and especially those that bring life experience and training (beyond being an MP).

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    I think you'll be fine - as others mentioned above, it's more about completing honorable service than anything else. I have a neighbor who recruits for the Fairfax County Police Department (VA) and he prefers to hire veterans, and especially those that bring life experience and training (beyond being an MP).
    Yeah, every department I looked into just said military service gives an advantage, the type of job I had in service does not matter. But for myself, I'd rather get a job that will teach me something other than be a grunt, but nothing else really appeals to me. I don't want Intel or Signal or anything like that. I'll probably end up going infantry anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrowley23 View Post
    Yeah, every department I looked into just said military service gives an advantage, the type of job I had in service does not matter. But for myself, I'd rather get a job that will teach me something other than be a grunt, but nothing else really appeals to me. I don't want Intel or Signal or anything like that. I'll probably end up going infantry anyways.

I think you need to rethink what you learn in the grunts. These men are considerably more than just brain dead bang bang killers that so many think. They learn tactics, planning, how to station their men for an effective battle zone and so damn much more.

Boils down to this...makes no damn difference what you do while you are in .... you will learn new things plus learn to be a leader. Just do whatever you are assigned to do and if you become a grunt.... be the best and know that for each grunt...there is a huge team of non-grunts out there supporting you.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    FBI SPECIAL AGENT CRITICAL SKILLS

After qualifying for one of the Entry Programs, Special Agent candidates with one or more Critical Skills will be prioritized in the hiring process.
    Probably not the 'sexy' or 'high speed' field/answer your looking for, but...

...cyber and financial crime is definitely the AO of the future (if its not already). (Check out the book 'Global Financial Warriors' to get an idea of the work being done at State and Treasury to freeze terrorist and enemy assets in order to degrade their capabilities.)

Thread Information