Improve Running
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improve Running

Improve Running

I want to improve my running and want feedback on my running exercises. I will Run 3 to 6 miles every morning, each mile at a steady 10 mins.
    Then every other day i will sprint at 10 mph as long as i can, take a 2 min break and repeat it, varying from 1.5 miles to 3 miles. I consider my self a good runner but i am overweight and need to loose fat to improve my pull-ups as well as my running.

Sprint work is great but dont take a 2 min break. Sprint out a half a mile then jog the next half or even sprint out a quarter then jog a quarter sprint the third quarter then jog the end of the mile. It just shoots that heart rate up there then lets it drop then shoots it back up.

That'll build your cardiovasular up and help you recover faster ie catching your wind back quicker.

Cardio and light lifting helped me lose a tremendous amount of my weight. I'm stronger up top so my pullups shot up once I dropped weight.

Thats the best advice I can give you. You dont need to kill yourself but push yourself though.

Also, change that diet. If your flash your body by dramatically changing your diet your body will respond quickly. Cut out those carbs and drink plenty of water. I try to drink a gal or gal and a half of water a day when I work out. If you can just eat fiber in, lean protien, and salad/fruits. You'll see the weight drop off quick!

Well of course silly, less weight you have to pull up to get your chin over the bar.

Bruh.....Im 230 pulling up more then most kids there.......

Plus I know that.....If I was 180 man I could possibly do 30-40 pull ups

I would worry more on those pull-ups Rojas. You're failing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles097 View Post
    I would worry more on those pull-ups Rojas. You're failing right now.
    And you are a piece of **** civilian that has nothing better to do

Hey Rojas, I wasn't being rude in any part of my post, I was being honest with you. 2 Pull-ups is a failing score. You may do OKAY in running and crunches, but if you fail any part of the IST/PFT, it is considered failing, and 4 pull ups is the minimum. If you show up to boot camp that way (not saying you will), you will be put in the PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon). I'm sorry but I'm helping you out by letting you know that. I'm not saying you won't show up to boot camp doing only 2, but that is an area judging on your signature that you need to improve significantly upon. I would recommend, if you haven't already, buying an Iron Gym pull-up bar. It is built in a way so that not only can you do pull-ups (overhand wide-grip and underhand), but dips, sit-ups, and has a grip that allows for better pushups. It helped me out a lot in a month. I was doing 4 (the minimum) when I DEP'd in February and now I am at 15, (13 at my last IST).

Hey Rojas, I wasn't being rude in any part of my post, I was being honest with you. 2 Pull-ups is a failing score. You may do OKAY in running and crunches, but if you fail any part of the IST/PFT, it is considered failing, and 4 pull ups is the minimum. If you show up to boot camp that way (not saying you will), you will be put in the PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon). I'm sorry but I'm helping you out by letting you know that. I'm not saying you won't show up to boot camp doing only 2, but that is an area judging on your signature that you need to improve significantly upon. I would recommend, if you haven't already, buying an Iron Gym pull-up bar. It is built in a way so that not only can you do pull-ups (overhand wide-grip and underhand), but dips, sit-ups, and has a grip that allows for better pushups. It helped me out a lot in a month. I was doing 4 (the minimum) when I DEP'd in February and now I am at 15, (13 at my last IST).
    Im not going to waste my time with you. Your just Ignorant.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RojasM View Post
    I want to improve my running and want feedback on my running exercises. I will Run 3 to 6 miles every morning, each mile at a steady 10 mins.
    Then every other day i will sprint at 10 mph as long as i can, take a 2 min break and repeat it, varying from 1.5 miles to 3 miles. I consider my self a good runner but i am overweight and need to loose fat to improve my pull-ups as well as my running.
    Sounds good. And for pullups, try doing pyramids. For crunches, do 100 every other day at your own pace. Then do speed crunches which involve you doing at least 30 very fast with good form. Rest a minute, and repeat 10-15 times.

If you think I am being ignorant, that's your opinion.

I am going to try one last time to put this in easier terms since written words are sometimes difficult to perceive online.I am trying to help you out. That is not being ignorant or being a stupid civilian. Your pull-up numbers are currently failing! That is not an opinion, but a fact. The Marine Corps is currently downsizing and standards for enlistment are constantly being raised! While in Boot Camp you will take the PFT (Physical fitness test) at least twice, once in the first phase and then in the third phase. If you fail either of these you will be dropped into the Physical Conditioning Platoon!

Second-hand experience tells me that during the initial IST you will be worn out and tired. 10 pull ups may be 5 or 6, 20 may be 15, and so on. I don't know when you DEP'd in, but those numbers overall is not a first-class (what you want to shoot for). Whether you DEP'd in recently or not, a good PFT helps you get promoted faster.

I am not doing this to scare you, but these are the facts! I am sorry if you perceive this as hostile and not what you want to hear, but sometimes it's what has to be said. You have a long time for improvement, all I am trying to say is make it count in all areas, not just running.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    If you think I am being ignorant, that's your opinion.

I am going to try one last time to put this in easier terms since written words are sometimes difficult to perceive online.I am trying to help you out. That is not being ignorant or being a stupid civilian. Your pull-up numbers are currently failing! That is not an opinion, but a fact! The Marine Corps is currently downsizing and standards for enlistment are constantly being raised! While in Boot Camp you will take the PFT (Physical fitness test) at least twice, once in the first phase and then in the third phase. If you fail either of these you will be dropped into the Physical Conditioning Platoon!

Second-hand experience tells me that during the initial IST you will be worn out and tired . 10 pull ups may be 5 or 6, 20 may be 15, and so on. I don't know when you DEP'd in, but those numbers overall is not a first-class (what you want to shoot for). Whether you DEP'd in recently or not, a good PFT helps you get promoted faster.

I am not doing this to scare you, but these are the facts! I am sorry if you perceive this as hostile and not what you want to hear, but sometimes it's what has to be said. You have a long time for improvement, all I am trying to say is make it count in all areas, not just running.
    You are stating the truth. I don't think we will be pting during receiving, so you will be worn out for the IST. My 20 pullups could go down to 12-15 by the end of the week, and so on for my run and crunches. You must exceed the minimum standards.

There were Poolees who got sent off just doing 3 or 5 pull ups. They haven't returned yet so atleast they haven't been kicked out.

While you're at home try to do as much as you can. I don't know about you but when I first started and couldn't lift my own weight I was embarressed as hell. Let that motivate you to do more. Don't be that guy in dead last in the run or only doing 22 crunches or even just hanging from the pull up bar.

**** looks sorry

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    The Marine Corps needs quality, not quantity. Meeting only the minimum standards is not the right thing to do. The Marine Corps would like to see poolees exceed the minimum standards and go beyond. That shows dedication.

Right now I am trying to knock out 150+ crunches and eventually beat my station record of 163. That might not happen so though since I got 2 months until I ship. My pullups are good for now even though I would love to reach 30. My run time I could deal with, I will see how that ends up by then.

What the **** is up with Ro? lol calm down man we are here to help. How is it ignorant to say you need to focus on pull ups? Your running is decent enough it seems so no need to ignore other problems.

Thread Information