Improve Running - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improve Running

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles097 View Post
    Our family is good friends with a 100 yr old down the block and I tell you...he's in amazing shape. Running everyday, lean, you wouldn't guess he was a day over 65. My mom voluntold me to run with him and this guy was a monster. I was faster but his endurance was insane. This guy runs the Marine Corps marathon which runs through my town every year. Not everyday you say you got beat by a 100 yr old on a run.
    Is that even true? That is fricking amazing and motivating.

youtube.com/watch?v=y_nbkwFR5AU

^ put www in front of that link and check that out, 64 year old is doing 27 pull-ups and all of it combined is a 297 PFT!

But yes, my story is 100% true. I ran 5 miles with him and he said that was a warm-up for him. Superhuman all the way. He doesn't have a family so we invite him over for dinner sometimes.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles097 View Post
    youtube.com/watch?v=y_nbkwFR5AU

^ put www in front of that link and check that out, 64 year old is doing 27 pull-ups and all of it combined is a 297 PFT!

But yes, my story is 100% true. I ran 5 miles with him and he said that was a warm-up for him. Superhuman all the way. He doesn't have a family so we invite him over for dinner sometimes.
    That youtube vid I had seen many times and it is still amazing. I believe your story, but to me it is just to amazing that a 100 year old man is in better shape than most teens today.

Quote Originally Posted by PooleeGewarges View Post
    That youtube vid I had seen many times and it is still amazing. I believe your story, but to me it is just to amazing that a 100 year old man is in better shape than most teens today.
    why do you have two accounts on leatherneck?

That's his brother...

Seriously hit the treadmill for speed work and the streets for pace distance running.

I ran 1.5-2 miles yesterday at a steady pace, controlled my breathing the whole time, and near the end sped up a bit. I wasn't even tired until I sprint the final stretch.

I thought I would be tired before I got to a certain point and with the doubt I had in my head I held myself back but when I did it with ease I really fell great about it. I was more motivated then anything else.

Throw the pace up on the treadmill and hold it there until you feel yourself hitting your max and slow it down but finish out the 1.5-2 miles.

I also found out my run time was WAY faster then what I thought it was. Just do it man.....I'm getting to the point of actually enjoying a nice run during these mild afternoons.

I second what Soon2Have says. I have been jumping on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes at a time. Be sure you stretch out then do a warm up of about 5 minutes then set it to a good clip and go.

Yesterday I did that and went just about 4 miles in 30 minutes. I was shocked.

Another trick (and sorry if I repeat anything someone else said here) is to get on an elliptical machine. They help build up your muscles.

Don't forget doing some squats or leg presses to build your leg muscles up to help. I have found that by doing squats for sets of 15 and the same for the leg press my legs have gotten stronger enabling me to run more. And they help strengthen the core for crunches.

Stay motivated.

Yessir, the eliptical does wonders on those hamstrings and calves!

I do 30 min of interval *4 min intervals* eliptical training. I do high resistance maximum height and then medium resistance and medium height. It works the hell out of your legs.

I can't speak on squats or any leg weight lifting techniques since I don't do them.

I like doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) on the elliptical. You go a 2 minute warm up, then burn it for a minute, 1 minute nice pace, then repeat until you hit 20 mins. Works real good after a weight training session to burn fat because when you lift you use up your glycogen stores so then you use fat stores for energy.

Try using a dumbell and hold it mid chest and do squats for sets of 15. I can do a 50lb dumbell comfortably. It works your leg muscles AND replicates what we will do in sandbag PT

Jump Rope is another good one to build them leg muscles AND get a good cardio workout. They all will help with the running. But nothing works better than just running in itself.

Do Work Poolees.

This whole running and getting back into shape sucks lol. I seriously hope I am relatively ready for boot come November.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    This whole running and getting back into shape sucks lol. I seriously hope I am relatively ready for boot come November.
    hahahahahahaha We all feel this way man. I was just thinking about this yesterday that was long as i can move my legs ill push through it.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post

Starting out was the worst part especially thinking running was actually easy. I remember just running around a corner would already have me burnt the **** out. Now I kinda enjoy it, its a great way to just clear your mind and once I'm done I have tons of energy built up.

I can now run and if I wanted to walk the 1.5 and STILL make it to pass the run time. Now its on to atleast getting 4-5 miles in starting from a 2 mile starting point. It will suck but I want to be able to run it and not be dead from it.

Also, anyone every start running the some how your mind thinks you're running to slow and you speed up but notice you're actually going faster then you thought you was?

Itll start out paced right then think I slowed down for some reason then speed up then get back on pace then think I'm slowing down again then speed up. Its funny

Thats kinda what I am hoping is that it gets easier. To be perfectly honest my 13:48 mile and a half thats the first time I have ever run a mile and a half.

I try to run as little as possible right now i hate it I feel like I am breathing heavy too early into my runs and my legs get all sore, I also think im starting to get shin splints again because the muscles in my shins are weakend from having stopped working out, after my runs too i get that coughing sensation when i breathe in not a fan of that.

But thems is definately the breaks when it comes to getting back into shape. Something that Ill have to break through if I want to earn the title.

To deal with your breathing problems you're going to have to train yourself to breath slowly in your nose and slowly out of your mouth. Keep doing it and try to run while saying cadence some times. Start out slow man, run a mile then add a half then go to 2 miles. I had to do that and once I got use to running a mile I bumped it up.

Shin splints could also be due to you're legs not being able to support your upper body weight. I had that problem and my knees would always hurt but once I lost weight it went away.

You'll get better over time and once you can finally start running more distance do speed work. The treadmill works wonders for that because you can never really set your own pace, either its to slow or to fast.

Thread Information