Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Dying Vet discharged by VA

Report: Vet on Death Bed Ejected by VA

April 02, 2011
    The Virginian-Pilot

HAMPTON -- The Hampton VA Medical Center inappropriately discharged a terminally ill veteran from its emergency room and failed to provide him hospice care requested by his wife, a federal investigation has found.

Investigators from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs' Office of Inspector General found that staff members at the Hampton center were unaware of a VA policy requiring that end-of-life care be provided when veterans and their families ask for it.

Over three successive visits to the emergency room, the man's condition steadily deteriorated. By the third visit, he was weak, confused, incontinent and required help from VA staff to get out of his car.

His wife told the staff she was having difficulty managing him and could no longer care for him at home.

Nevertheless, the emergency room doctor discharged him, saying he did not meet the hospital's criteria for acute-care admission. When his wife asked about hospice care -- which focuses on allowing patients to die with dignity, pain-free -- she was told no hospice beds were available.

She took him home but, even with the help of a family member, was unable to get him out of the car. She called 911 and paramedics took him to a local private hospital, where he was admitted.

His doctor there contacted the VA and requested hospice care. The veteran was scheduled for admission to the VA's hospice unit five days later.Two days before the scheduled transfer date, he died.

The investigators found that the VA emergency room doctor did not do a complete evaluation of the veteran before discharging him, failing to document the significant decline in his condition the past three weeks. They also found that the VA staff missed numerous opportunities to initiate hospice care.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

USNAviator

A friend of mine and fellow Marine died when he was turned away with internal injuries less that two years ago. HHS secretary investigated and alledgely made suggestions and changes. He doesn't sound like it to me. The insodent I am refering to the ER doctor was a either a former Major or Capt USA and a nurser Capt or Maj (former. Same facility. I thought these (professionals) were on our side..

As A Health Care Proffessional I Cant Believe That The V.a These Morons I Had My Share Of Arguments With These Idiots I Feel Bad For The Wife.

Semper Fi My Brothers And Sisters

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

I posted in the war room today a personal story in which the VA told me I can't be considered for any treatment because I died approximately 6 months ago. So these stories really do not amaze or surprise me at all!

Guess I need to remember the VA is part of the federal government.

I too have had my challenges with the VA. Every time I have needed them which has not been often they have turned me away stating they have no beds.

The VA is as useless as the IRS.

Thread Information