What about the Marines in WWII? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Pretty sharp for an army guy.

Appreciate it.

Being a reservist in college, I don't think kids give a crap enough about their past. I have noticed a pretty strong lack of nationalism, not because people are ashamed of the U.S, but because I am part of the MTV generation that doesn't actually care about what is going on in the world around them, or what their country has given them, only what celebrities are doing. It's sad, but unfortunately true.

I can only help by telling people to read certain books or up on certain material, even to watch movies and documentaries. Hopefully teachers will continue to teach our history, but if not it is a my generations responsibility to pass your story down. I know when I have kids they and their friends will never hear the end of it.

Mike

Talking Here's what I think !

In my part of the world , most of the guys in the Legion / VFW are members who were drafted and there are few of us inductee Marines . I know of a another one during WW2 who was an inductee Marine ( since died ) , besides myself ( Nam Vet ) .

There is little talk about the wars that we served in as there is a duty on what we can do to benefit our community today and doing other things that are what these organizations do !

Talking about our experiences is not brought up much , but I don't have to look hard to find good storiess amongest my peers there !

Even if it is about the Army / Navy / Air Force !

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    In my part of the world , most of the guys in the Legion / VFW are members who were drafted and there are few of us inductee Marines . I know of a another one during WW2 who was an inductee Marine ( since died ) , besides myself ( Nam Vet ) .

There is little talk about the wars that we served in as there is a duty on what we can do to benefit our community today and doing other things that are what these organizations do !

Talking about our experiences is not brought up much , but I don't have to look hard to find good storiess amongest my peers there !

Even if it is about the Army / Navy / Air Force !
    Marine...This sort of brings back things full circle, because growing up in South Ozone Park, Queens, New York, we had a VFW hall...and it was full of drunken Great War veterans. To us kids, it was not a matter of respecting them or not - instead we wanted to stay away from them because they were scary men. They didn't look or act liek the average Joe on the streets. Sure, a few of us took some jibes at them, in their drunken state; and they turned around and gave us what's for.

To this day, I don't think anyone did right by them...even us kids. And so it goes, I never joined a veterans organization, chiefly because I remember those days. It didn't matter though. I still had my fair share of drink when I returned home.

On another note, my old eyes read your name as "crapshooter." I was thinking i'd met a kindred spirit in the art of crap games. Brother, that brings a lot of Queens memories back.

Sterling G. Mace

God Bless you Sterling. You are my hero. MY war was built on the back of you and the rest of our Corps. Your tactics and brave victories inspired me and encouraged me when thime were tough.

Thnak you for the service you so willingly gave.

God Bless

Doug

Fox 2/5 RVN 67-69

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Mr. Mace, I would like to say thank you and I would like to then offer a small introduction. My name is Aaron and I am a seventeen-year-old high school senior from Pennsylvania. I seek to one day join the United States Marine Corps, either as an officer or as an enlisted Marine. Perhaps both, whatever is according to the needs of the Corps and God's will.

I want to thank you, sir, for asking this question: "How do kids view us older vets?"

If you don't mind, I would like to first write for myself.

As soon as my Dad hooked up the satelite television and turned on the History Channel when I was just a little kid, I was utterly fascinated by World War II. It's hard for me to describe it now since I now have a slight understanding of the fear and terror of war, but I remember being drawn in by the combat footage of Marines running across a battered Pacific landscape with flamethrowers and some Sherman tanks in the background. I believe that it was that first television viewing that led me to where I am today. I moved on from television to books a while ago and after all of that reading, I am at the point now where I have developed a firm belief in myself, my family, and everything America stands for. I have a hunger for learning and every book I read, from General Krulak's First to Fight to even non-USMC related books, only seems to solidify my determination to become a Marine.

I believe young people like me, while still numerous, are becoming more and more rare in America today. I feel a respect for you, sir, so tremendous that it is hard for me to put it into words. I have wanted to honor what you did and what all service members still do since I was old enough to know what "honor" meant. I suspect I am in the minority of American teenagers - and even adults. I hold this view for a number of reasons: the history textbooks in many schools are horribly lacking on even the most basic facts, American popular culture has been far too vapid for far too long, and last but not least, we have fewer and fewer adult role models in the country.

It's getting late and I've struggled to articulate my feelings correctly for nearly an hour now, so I will try to end with this:

Those who know about World War II hold immense respect for everyone who served. Those who don't know are just as ignorant about many other aspects of life. I don't think they are intentionally disrespectful, they just don't know any better.

Mr. Mace, you are the first World War II veteran I've spoken to in some time. It's truly an honor to live in the same country as you and every other Marine. Thank you all and may God bless you all forever.

A few days ago I ran across a WWII message forum, so I decided to talk to ome of the fellas in there...and while a few seem interested in what happened in the Pacific, I was shocked to find they were more interested in some German private's war memoirs.

What's more, there is a section of their message forum where they dress up in German uniforms and take photographs of themselves. These are men in their 20s and 30s dressing up like Germans! They have the German rifles and everything.

I can't friggin believe something like this happens. The last time I checked we had thousands of American boys died at the hands of the Germans - and while nobody should hate a people for what they did 60 or 70 years ago, still, you don't friggin worship what they did, do you?

To me, this is not only an extension of how the war in Europe takes center stage...but this is taking it one step further in the wrong direction.

Or maybe I'm just a crabby old man and I don't know any better.

Sterling G. Mace

Credits
    Savings
    We're all getting old. I'm not crazy about the other option.

I don't think much of the jerks who get into the nazi role playing either. They murdered millions of innocent people and sure don't deserve any praise.

Good luck with your book. If it's a success maybe you can take a trip back to the islands and look around. I've read that a lot of guys are doing that now. A lot of Nam guys are going back too. I thhought about it but passed when I heard there's still a lot of live ordinance laying around. I'd hate to get wacked by a booby trap I set in 67.

Sempre Fidelis Sterling.

I've just read your platform here, and i'd like to say, Thank You for the ordeal you experienced, to make it possible for all of us, to be free to express our opinions here as free men.

I had a Cousin named Jack Owen, who told me a lot, about Guadal Canal, and a friend named Glenn Pasho, Who told me the parts that jack missed. They were my reason for joining the Corps.

In my opinion, The battle for Iwo Jima, was famous, more for the casualties suffered than any other reason. The losses at Tarowa werewhat made that battle memorable. The families of the veterans who fought those battles remember They remember, but they don't necessarily under stand. Remembering all alone is not easy. That's why we have Organizations like the VFW. They are for the guys who remember what Shrapnel and bullets sound like as they, thankfully, fly past your ears. What's bee written here is worth reading, Thank You Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Mace View Post
    Mike,
    That's very interesting and it brings up something I touched upon in my book a little.

How do kids view us older vets? Honestly, I don't put much thought into whether they care or not. I know that us winning the war still has tremendous ramifications in the world today; yet I believe it took most of us a long time to see that for ourselves.

Those of us who fought Japan, Germany and Italy couldn't see much more than our current circumstances and how much combat hurt. Coming home I didn't have the feeling that we saved the world. I only had the good feeling that I was alive and that we won. Winning always feels good (and I'm a sore loser) - so having a whole nation infused with that winning feeling was a something else.

The thing is, me and most of my buddies didn't know what Japan and Germany had planned for the rest of the world, and we only had an inkling what they did to China and the Jews. So, in that regard the "big picture" could only be seen as far as I could aim my weapon.

I've killed men. Living, breathing men. And I never felt bad about it either.

On the other hand, I can stand before God and country and state in all truthfulness that I never killed a man with hate in my heart. The only hate was that I'd sure hate for this guy to kill me first!

So, if it took that long for those guys who were there to see what we really did, then those kids today probably don't have a chance. But if a person wants to learn about WWII...? Then I just think it's damned sorry for what we did in the Pacific to always play seconds to what they did in Europe.

Sterling G. Mace
    It would be a shame for them to not learn about some of the most intense fighting and most important especially with regard to American interest and ability to project power.

I can say that growing up even when I was in 2cnd and 3rd grade I was reading books about WWII and I always wondered why the campaigns in N Afrika and the Pacific Islands weren't covered and then you realize that there wasn't as much money. I honestly think it came down to the very nature of our country which feeds on whatever brings wealth the quickest and movies, books, etc about the action in Europe was by in large far more well known and also much more accepted. Even stall-worth isolationist would have a hard time denouncing the destruction of the Nazi regime but selling the American public on the war in the Pacific that posed the greater military and economic threat(albeit longterm) was probably a lot harder , so people published what was easy because unlike what the Greatest Generation did which was not easy they did not see the value in sharing the experiences of the Marines fighting in some ****ty hell hole because it wasn't as glorious as liberating France and because maybe sometimes people don't want to know just how gritty things get.

I have the utmost respect for your service and for the legacy I was able to follow in and I look forward to reading your book.

Semper Fidelis.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    A well meaning kid (from the philippines of all places) sent me a message on my face book today asking me if I knew a Richard Winters. I don't know who he was talking about, and I said as much...so I asked him who this guy is. The kid replied that this fellow was an Army guy, a paratrooper in Easy Company.
    This doesn't surprise me at all, Sir, but I would have thought that that young man, from the Philippines no less, would have known a little bit more about his countries history during WWII. Buzz words like Corregidor, Philippine Scouts, Bataan, General McArthur, "Huks", let alone the US Navy and US Marines involvement in the liberation of his country from the occupying forces of Japan...but then again, ask some of America's youth if they even know where the Philippines are located and you might get a blank stare. I'm thinking, though, that at least he asked you. No harm, no foul. Maybe, he learned something even though it wasn't something he expected.
    Thank you for your service to your Country.
    All the best to you.
    Gary

Credits
    Savings

How 'bout those WWII guys!

Sterling,

I come from a long line of military folk. My grandfather was a Marine during WWII. My birth father was a Marine. My father was in the Army for 10, then retired in the Navy. He served during the Vietnam War. My mother was in the Navy. My uncles all served in one branch or the other. My brother was in the Navy. I almost went in, but didn't want to sign over my little girl... so instead she just married a marine!

That said... I don't know a lot about war. My grandfather was a very special man to me... probably more special then anyone ever. He passed away when I was 7 years old. My mother just passed away at the age of 59 in 2008. She had full disability from the Navy... seems they think they had something to do with her contracting Multiple Sclerosis.

I say I don't know much about war because my grandfather never talked too much about it to me... course I was a little one then. He did teach me many things, however. He taught me how to love people. I mean really love them. Example: He and I would take walks downtown. I remember stopping to chat with an ole fella and his toy poodle who was sitting on a porch stoop. I remember one day, stopping behind the bushes in the big yard of the Baptist Church and sittin down a while to share a can of pork-n-beans with a homeless fella who lived back there. He also taught me alot about nature and how to walk in the woods without making a sound with my feet.

See, he didn't talk too much about war. He talked a lot about love and taught me to say my prayers at night and bless my loved ones, and he always sang me to sleep. He sang songs like My Old Kentucky Home, Ole Black Joe, Carry Me Back To Ole Virginny... stuff like that which I now sing to my 1 year old grandson.

I only remember a few stories about the "war". He said something about living in holes and eating potatoes. That man could peel some potatoes... and he taught me how to do it without wasting the potato. Other than that, the only clue I have is that he seemed to hate a "jap", which I always found strange since he was so loving and kindhearted and well respected by all who knew him.

My grandmother said he had a purple heart. Back then, I didn't know what a "purple" heart was... to me he was a magical man who could walk out in the backyard and simply bend down and pick me up a 4 leaf clover.

I just wish he was around a little longer, when I would have been old enough to ask questions and learn more about what made him so compassionate. This is why I want to know where he served.

You see, I run a dementia unit for those who have Alzheimers Disease... and one of my residents (I love them all dearly) was actually at Iwo Jima when the real flag was raised, not the photo shoot. He had decreased veterans benefits because he refused to go to any old meeting to collect his own purple heart. He thought they oughta bring it to him... anyhow, when he goes back in time... guess where he goes? Right back there to Iwo Jima and demands the nurses lay down on the ground and guard the parameters. And if they refuse, he says he'll shoot them. ha ha. I really love this fella too! He's doing much better now than when he first moved in to the facility.

So.... if any of this gives you a clue to where my grandfather might have spent a few years of his life, only a few, but enough to forever change him.... I would love to know so I can read about his experiences. I believe he received something called "shell shock" from an explosion on his boat... ?

So... I say.... for what it's worth, start talking to those you love, because they might be afraid to ask you for fear that it is a hurtful memory, but they might really want to know about your time over there.

From one strong survivor to another, Love Tanya.

Credits
    Savings

Pacific

Sterling, If I had to guess, I'd say my grandfather served in the Pacific, but I don't know for sure. I did send for info with the help of the Veterans Administration, but all I got back was a paper showing me my grandfathers enlistment date and his occupation before he went in, and then where he came out. They left out all the middle, go figure. Tanya

Credits
    Savings
    Looking for my grandfather's friends. His name was Claude T. Abney. I think people called him C.T. back then.

Thank you for your post Tahya.

Gung Ho,

Ray

Thread Information