Criminal record?
Closed Thread
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Criminal record?

In the military, specifically the Marine Corps, is having an arrest record a hindrance to any MOS's. I am asking because I have been arrested before in the past, but was never convicted in court, but still shows up on my arrest record. The reason I ask is because I am looking to becoming an MP or other MOS's that require me to obtain a secret security clearance. It sounds cliche, but I was one of those who were literally at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people. The courts found me not guilty and my charges were all dismissed, but unfortunately records still show me as having been arrested before. Is there any way to receive a waiver of some sort in order for me to still be an MP? Again I was never convicted and was found innocent of all charges. Thank you for your time and any help that you may offer.

I've known guys who had arrests on their records and they still got a clearance. If you got a verdict of not-guilty, that's a good thing, even if the arrest still shows up. I don't know if it would stop you from being in a specific MOS or not, but I would doubt it.

The one thing I would advise is to be honest about it when you're asked about it during any security interview because they're going to do a records check anyway and lying about it just makes it that much more suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by CrockettJW View Post
    I've known guys who had arrests on their records and they still got a clearance. If you got a verdict of not-guilty, that's a good thing, even if the arrest still shows up. I don't know if it would stop you from being in a specific MOS or not, but I would doubt it.

The one thing I would advise is to be honest about it when you're asked about it during any security interview because they're going to do a records check anyway and lying about it just makes it that much more suspicious.
    All depends on the degree of your security clearance. I had a "secret" clearance and FBI went back to my hometown, and interviewed my neighbors, and checked my record before I was cleared.

Typically if you have ever been arrested it will ALWAYS show up until the day you die. You can pettion the courts to have your record exponged, but even if they do that it still may show up.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTYPIG View Post
    Typically if you have ever been arrested it will ALWAYS show up until the day you die. You can pettion the courts to have your record exponged, but even if they do that it still may show up.
    I agree, only thing I would say is if you were a minor, and the original charge was not a felony chances are it won't show.

In my experience in L/E, even the misdemeanors always show up as well. That way when one continues to step on their johnson, they can show the "pattern" of being a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTYPIG View Post
    In my experience in L/E, even the misdemeanors always show up as well. That way when one continues to step on their johnson, they can show the "pattern" of being a criminal.
    I was thinking the same thing - whether it's a misdemeanor or felony, it's still going to show up.

And, when we're talking about clearances and investigations, more than just the record of arrests/convictions will be looked at. The government wants to know if you're a security risk. That means they will look at anything they can to give them an idea of whether or not someone poses a risk. That means credit, employment history, family relationships, drinking and drug use, and a lot of other things. The pattern you mentioned can include all of that.

1: Closed until I see a profile.

2: As stated (and I can state this is correct, being a background investigator...) that no matter what, once you are 'in the system' as being arrested...it shows up.

Thread Information