getting ready to do 50lb ruck. any advice? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    I'm still a bit surprised that what you'all were shod with in this photo are some of the best all purpose work/hiking boots i've ever worn. Including custom handmade boots that cost nine times the amount and never did feel quite right.

It was Time or U.S. News and Reports that published a review in the early 80's; the black full grain military issue rated the third best style of hiking boot.

#1 and #2 each had a wide assortment of models within those styles that all rated higher than #3, but they didn't cost anywhere near $40, and most were made in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    I'm still a bit surprised that what you'all were shod with in this photo are some of the best all purpose work/hiking boots i've ever worn. Including custom handmade boots that cost nine times the amount and never did feel quite right.

It was Time or U.S. News and Reports that published a review in the early 80's; the black full grain military issue rated the third best style of hiking boot.

#1 and #2 each had a wide assortment of models within those styles that all rated higher than #3, but they didn't cost anywhere near $40, and most were made in Europe
    '82-'86 And yes, those were the best boots ever made. I still have a pair, have had them resoled once since I got out.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post

And Slinger... it Ya'll

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The grunts in Hawaii were also allowed to wear the green jungle boots with the steel tang. I also thought those were a pretty good boot. I think the current regs as boots go is much more relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    The grunts in Hawaii were also allowed to wear the green jungle boots with the steel tang. I also thought those were a pretty good boot. I think the current regs as boots go is much more relaxed.
    Did not like the canvas tops, if that is what you call jungle boots. May as well wear high top sneakers; no support at all. But, that's just my opinion.

Have not tried the current reg boots.

Rolled sole, steel toe, other than that they look fine by the specs. Would have to try a pair to say one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcombs View Post
    Alright Marines, I can't lie. Never done this before lol. I used an ALICE type pack. It HURT, but I refused to quit and I humped it out. Shoulders, neck, and back is sore... but I sweat a storm and it was a great workout and confidence boost.
    Take ISO mat and cut it to the size of the pack width wise and double it length wise, then all you have to do is fold it and shove it between your frame and your pack. That is by far the best thing to do, I used that all through BRC with easily 100+ pounds and it felt fine. Try running that course instead of walking it next time, it's a better work out.

Are you a bigger or smaller guy?

Also, the best advice, is know the difference between sore and hurt. If you're hurt (injured), stop immediately. You have no idea how fast and how far you can set yourself back due to over use. Hydrate, stretch, and build up.

Running certainly is a better workout, but running with gear is hell on your joints and can cause you to damage things. If you were training for a recon indoc, I'd say go for it but do it safely, but given that you are just trying to get to boot, take it easy and work on the hikes at a good pace, but don't hurt yourself.

Mike

Thread Information