Do i need to bring my pillow to SOI? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Not sure why we are giving this new Marine such a hard time about his question?....

No disrespect is meant to those of you who responded but why respond if you have nothing constructive to answer with. Is the question a little stupid?...yes but that doesn't mean it rates a stupid response. Especially considering he is fresh out of boot camp and is still used to having everything answered and directed for him by a DI.

To answer the question at hand...Yes I would suggest taking your pillow and everything else that was "issued" to you at boot camp. It might suck packing it and if you don't end up needing it you can throw it out but I wouldn't want you to be the one to not have it when you are supposed to have it or you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    To answer the question at hand...Yes I would suggest taking your pillow and everything else that was "issued" to you at boot camp. It might suck packing it and if you don't end up needing it you can throw it out but I wouldn't want you to be the one to not have it when you are supposed to have it or you need it.
    While I did laugh pretty good at the other responses here, this one above is the best to take out of this topic.

There is one thing that will always stick with Marines, "When in doubt, bring it", "Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it".

Now I highly doubt the pillow will be needed, I've never heard of Marines these days being "issued" pillows to take around the fleet with them, but it's good to get that mentality going to ensure you keep track of your gear and are always prepared. I would wage that there's a 99.99999% chance you'd need that pillow (it really should have been left at the depot anyway) but there's no harm in taking it. I know the instructors at SOI have seen far weirder things brought to SOI before.

If I remember properly, We were in fact FORCED to take our boot camp pillow with us. First thing to get dumped in a dumpster outside the Depot.

Now, I recommend leaving that one and just purchase a new ( and better and comfier) one once you get settled. It's not like you are going to use it much at SOI anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Not sure why we are giving this new Marine such a hard time about his question?....

No disrespect is meant to those of you who responded but why respond if you have nothing constructive to answer with. Is the question a little stupid?...yes but that doesn't mean it rates a stupid response. Especially considering he is fresh out of boot camp and is still used to having everything answered and directed for him by a DI.

Yep, now, its your turn to take him under your wing, wipe his nose, wash his ears, send him for a haircut and fluff his pillow for him.

No disrespect for all you Marines out there in the fleet.

Don't take your boot camp pillow. They make you take it b/c they dont want your nasty azz pillow to stay at the recruit depot.

I have never heard of getting a pillow issued to you. Everytime I reported somewhere it came with the rest of the linen, and I had to turn it in when I left.

This has got to be a fake post.

dude, ignore the haterz

sometimes they have enough pillows for you at soi, sometimes they don't. the pillow you got in boot camp sucks anyways, toss that piece of trash. worst case if the school doesn't have one then wrap up some clothes in a pillow case and enjoy

threw mine away at the hotel after graduation along with the torn up running shoes and pretty much everything else that wasn't a uniform item

Here's something constructive: About 10% need to take their pack off and relax. After all this is cyber space, and anything that is said is done in a joking manner.

There is much more to worry about than where your next pillow is coming from.

Marines really do leave MCRD with an issued pillow!?
    Ok then i savvy the seabag dilemma so lets work on efficiency here. Cut the thing open and pull out whatever it's stuffed with so it's now about 1/3 the original size, just wide and thick enough to keep your Jarhead off the cold deck. Break out the sewing kit (duct tape) and cobble it back together

I say burn the pillow. Fire is awesome.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    With all the other crap I left boot camp with, and had to stuff into a sea bag I can't picture a pillow fitting in there. I too thought it was a joke post and had no idea recruits leave boot camp with a pillow. If they do then why just the pillow? Why not all the linen and two blankets as well?

It's simply a lot cheaper to purchase new pillows than washing all of that.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    With all the other crap I left boot camp with, and had to stuff into a sea bag I can't picture a pillow fitting in there. I too thought it was a joke post and had no idea recruits leave boot camp with a pillow. If they do then why just the pillow? Why not all the linen and two blankets as well?
    Well said Sergeant Bulkyker.

I guess i did boot at the right time. Prettymuch everything except the clothes on our back fit into the one issue seabag when we left. "Rolled and pounded" and as tight as three elephants in an Oil and Thong case.

As A Corpman With Soi And Mct I Didnt See The Students Spend Much Time In The Barracks Most Of The Time We Were Out In The Field Unless Things Have Changed I Was There .1990-1992

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    Well said Sergeant Bulkyker.

I guess i did boot at the right time. Prettymuch everything except the clothes on our back fit into the one issue seabag when we left. "Rolled and pounded" and as tight as three elephants in an Oil and Thong case.
    Funny thing about that...Now we get 2 sea bags.

Thread Information