Enlisted not to be an officer
Create Post

Enlisted not to be an officer

Evening all, I posted a thread a couple months ago, because I had a dilemma on what to do after I graduate from the University. I didn't know if I should enlist or apply for OCS. I thought I have made up my mind, but I am almost done with school and now I am re-evaluating my situation. I was wondering if there are any enlisted Marines who had the opportunity to go through the officer route but decided to go through the enlisted route instead. I am asking this, because I would like to find out the pros and cons of being an officer or an enlisted Marine. I would most appreciate any advice given. Thank you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I was an officer candidate once upon a time, the only advice I can really give is this...

If you truly want to lead, mentor, and take care of Marines then get your package started for OCS. If in any way you question whether or not you want the responsibility of leading, mentoring, and taking care of a platoon of Marines then I would suggest enlisting. Obviously the lifestyle of an officer is a bit easier but also understand that it is much much more responsibility and can be more stressful. The lifestyle of an enlisted Marine can be much harsher but while you are considered a "junior" Marine as long as you know/do your job and do as your told you don't have much on your shoulders until you make the NCO ranks of Cpl and Sgt.

Enlisted can always put in a package to go officer, not the other way around. You can always make the leap later on after you get a good feel for the Corps. From my experiences, I enjoyed working with prior enlisted officers more so then someone who just got out of college. You'll find the officer side of the house is a far more difficult thing to experience at first, you'll be wet behind the ears with no experience except for your formal school and be expected to lead from day 1. Starting off enlisted gives you a chance to get that first hand look at the guy on the ground, the guy in the ditch, the one filling sand bags and burning ****ters. It may not sound like a glorious job but later on you'll see that those who have to burn **** and dig holes will respect their officers more after learning that they too were once enlisted and doing the tasks they are doing.

And who knows, you may end up enjoying enlisted so much that you decide to stick it out. Now I wouldn't really recommend that if you have a degree but you may find a nitch that you feel you wish to stick with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    Enlisted can always put in a package to go officer, not the other way around. You can always make the leap later on after you get a good feel for the Corps. From my experiences, I enjoyed working with prior enlisted officers more so then someone who just got out of college. You'll find the officer side of the house is a far more difficult thing to experience at first, you'll be wet behind the ears with no experience except for your formal school and be expected to lead from day 1. Starting off enlisted gives you a chance to get that first hand look at the guy on the ground, the guy in the ditch, the one filling sand bags and burning ****ters. It may not sound like a glorious job but later on you'll see that those who have to burn **** and dig holes will respect their officers more after learning that they too were once enlisted and doing the tasks they are doing.

And who knows, you may end up enjoying enlisted so much that you decide to stick it out. Now I wouldn't really recommend that if you have a degree but you may find a nitch that you feel you wish to stick with.
    Those are valid points, but I wouldn't expect a brand new 2nd Lt. to lead right away, wouldnt the Senior enlisted guys mentor them?

Quote Originally Posted by johnpsmith84 View Post
    Those are valid points, but I wouldn't expect a brand new 2nd Lt. to lead right away, wouldnt the Senior enlisted guys mentor them?
    Correct. The point is that at any time during a enlistment you could drop a package for OCS. That is saying of course that you meet the requirements (tattoos, etc.).

I went to boot camp with a guy who had a MA. By the time I picked up Lance he was already a 2nd Lt. One random day at the armory while cleaning weapons I bumped into the guy, completely different MOS and everything so I never even thought I'd see him again but it was funny to see him wearing bars less then a year or so after we graduated.

I worked with a 1st Lt years ago (female) who was prior. She pinned on Lance and had a little over a year in the fleet when she put in her package.

Had a Company Commander when I first came in, he stayed until he pinned on Cpl and then went to OCS, he's a Major now looking at LtCol.

Had a Sgt who mentored me while I was enlisting through a youth program. I later ran into him in boot camp while he was a DI and a SSgt. I later ran into him 5 years down the road when I was a Sgt and he was my Company Commander as a 1st Lt in zone for Captain and heading out to recruiting. He is also a Major now.

There's many options out there, I just wanted to stress the fact that the enlisted always have the upper hand because officers cannot put in a package to go enlisted. There is also the Warrant Officer route. Infact, my current CEO for my company is a retired Major, he started enlisted and went WO and then on up to a 2nd Lt. Another guy in my office is a retired LtCol, he started enslited as well. Not saying that one is better then the other but rather that one has more options then the other. You may find enlisted be more suited for your career option or you may want to bump it up and move into the commissioned area. Who knows, you may spend a few years in and decide it's just not for you and that you want to get out. Never know but I would recommend you get a feel for it if you are having trouble making a decision.

When I joined all I wanted to do was be a Grunt and a DI and then retire after 30. Before I joined I wanted to be a pilot. After 9 years all I wanted to do was get out.

Maybe this is a biased opinion, but the enlisted side is a side that lives more in practicality. The officer side is a side that lives more in policy. That's my .02. You can decide what it means to you.

Before we continue to post and give you thr pros/cons to this, I would see a recruiter or ask your recruiter if you can speak to the OSA (officer selection Assistant). It's usualy a GySgt who works for a Captain. They are both on recruiting duty. It is VERY VERY tough to become an officer. i'm not saying you cant do it, but the selection process is tough. yes, a degree is part of it, but there is so much more. When I was on recruitng duty I knew the OSA pretty well and he would send me young men to enlist because they couldn't be officers at that time. Most of the reasons were waiver related, i.e. drug use, or they couldnt score high enough on the PFT. The applicants that want to be officers actually run a PFT, not an IST as enlisted recruits do. The officer and OSA on recuiting duty would ALWAYS exceed their yearly goals. I'm talking sometimes at close to 200%. They have a huge group to choose from, so if you have a ton of previous drug use or require a medical waiver it might not happen. I could go on and on, but MOST people assume all the need is a degree, but there is so much more to even being selected than that. I would call the OSA and see if your even qualified. If you are, come back and I'm sure plenty of Marines will have great advice for you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by slimmy07 View Post
    Before we continue to post and give you thr pros/cons to this, I would see a recruiter or ask your recruiter if you can speak to the OSA (officer selection Assistant). It's usualy a GySgt who works for a Captain. They are both on recruiting duty. It is VERY VERY tough to become an officer. i'm not saying you cant do it, but the selection process is tough. yes, a degree is part of it, but there is so much more. When I was on recruitng duty I knew the OSA pretty well and he would send me young men to enlist because they couldn't be officers at that time. Most of the reasons were waiver related, i.e. drug use, or they couldnt score high enough on the PFT. The applicants that want to be officers actually run a PFT, not an IST as enlisted recruits do. The officer and OSA on recuiting duty would ALWAYS exceed their yearly goals. I'm talking sometimes at close to 200%. They have a huge group to choose from, so if you have a ton of previous drug use or require a medical waiver it might not happen. I could go on and on, but MOST people assume all the need is a degree, but there is so much more to even being selected than that. I would call the OSA and see if your even qualified. If you are, come back and I'm sure plenty of Marines will have great advice for you. Good luck.
    Thats not a bad idea.Ill go ahead and do that. Thanks for the help everyone. Much obliged.

It's extremely competitive for enlisted trying to go to the O side of things. You have to be an E-5 to apply, so it's not a matter of "just doing it".

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Maybe this is a biased opinion, but the enlisted side is a side that lives more in practicality. The officer side is a side that lives more in policy. That's my .02. You can decide what it means to you.
    I'd agree that policy is a major playing arena on the dark side.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Devil1087 View Post
    It's extremely competitive for enlisted trying to go to the O side of things. You have to be an E-5 to apply, so it's not a matter of "just doing it".
    Not sure where you heard that from but that's not true. I posted several personal examples of that. Unless something major changed since I got out in 09.

There are different roads to jumping over to OCS and they all differ.

Warrant Officer selection is different however, you DO need to be at least an E-5 and your MOS has to have WO's.

Thread Information