Parent want me to get comission, I want to enlist. Advice?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Parent want me to get comission, I want to enlist. Advice?

Hello, this is my first post here. My name is Sam and I am 15 years old, and I wish to join the United States Marine Corps when I come of age. I run daily, I workout daily. I feel I'm prepared physically for boot camp, but mentally, I don't think I have any idea. I lift weights, but I also focus on bodyweight exercises such as pull-ups, push-ups, etc. I can do about 18 dead hang pull ups right now, I can do 100-ish crunches in 2 minutes, and I have something around a 7min mile, need an official time.

But that's not what my question is about. My question regards choosing between Enlisted and Officer. I've thought long and hard about it and I feel that I have no real leadership responsibility. I've never been the leader of anything significant. I feel if thrown into a position of leadership, I could manage, but I don't think I need to be risking the lives of other men. It doesn't have to do with my confidence or motivation, I just feel I could be far more useful as an enlistee than an officer. But since my parent expect me to be college bound in two years, my dad assumes that I need to get my commission. I've read extensively about the training. I definitely want combat arms. Specifically infantry, something in the 03's. From all I've read and heard from other Marines is that when you go into train as an officer, you aren't guaranteed the MOS of your choice, and the only one I'm interested in is 0302 (Infantry Officer). So I feel between the fact that I lack leadership skills and not being sure I'd get the MOS I want, I've chosen enlisted is my best bet. I know that your MOS is not guaranteed there either, but I'm more likely to get one of the 03's since there's quite a few of them.

Sorry if that was long, thanks for reading. Any advice on this would be great. What's the likelihood of getting an 03 if I go enlisted?

Thanks to all current and former Marines for giving me the ability to live a free life.

If you have the opportunity (i.e. good grades, test scores, etc.) you should go to college. You can make your decision once you graduate.

Don't think for a minute that you would not be a leader if you were to go enlisted.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    If you have the opportunity (i.e. good grades, test scores, etc.) you should go to college. You can make your decision once you graduate.
    Exactly.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Don't think for a minute that you would not be a leader if you were to go enlisted.
    Exactly x's 2.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Go to college, get a degree. If by that time you still want to be Marine and don't feel as if the officer route is for you, enlist.

But don't think for a minute there aren't leaders in the enlisted ranks. Maybe some day you'll get to be one

When you come of age. You are the one who signs the contract. I tell everyone who considers joining the military the same thing. Do not go into it blindly. Research the **** out of everything. You would be surprised at the amount of kids who are moto to go, but they didn't know what to expect. Half of them become terminal lances, or get kicked out, because they apparentlt just thought it would be a party.

You are right. Officers arn't guaranteed a mos. Depending on there rankings after they finish training. They are put into a field that can be a variety of differant MOS's. Do not quote me on this one. But its something along the lines of there are three differant brackets. Depending on where you place in that bracket and what you pick is where you might go. So the first guy who scores in the third bracket might get a desired field over the second guy in the first bracket. Even though he scored higher. I guess its done like that so they don't just have the best(if that should be the term to descibe) all put into the most desired fields.

Don't be discourage because you havn't had much leadership experience. Enlisted or Officer. Leadership comes with experience. You will learn it from those who lead you. I believe a good leader is the guy who over time. Took things into consideration on what he seen work, and not work with his peers. Then decides weather or not to approach things in ways previous experienced. Then there are guys who are narrow minded, and just don't flat out care.

You've got alot of time before you. So use it to research. I have turned people away and attracted people to the Marine Corps from saying this. Not from things I have told them, but because they looked for what interested them the most. No one can tell you, that you are better off going to college then officer, or going enlisted. I do however recomend college at some point in your life. It only betters you, and if you do not retire from the military. You have to have a foundation to start a cavilian life. Weather it be before the military or after. College is almost a must to get a decent job.

Credits
    Savings
    With the exception of those 2nd Lieutenants who arrive at TBS with Aviation or Jag contracts, all initial Marine Officer Mos's are assigned at TBS. The academic major of the degree is not relevant. Chances depend on class rank at TBS based on performance at TBS. The 2nd Lieutenants at TBS make up a dream list ranking the available MOS's. The class is split into thirds according to class rank: top third, middle third, bottom third. Each Mos is assigned equally from each third to achieve an even quality spread across Mos's. There are typically not enough Intelligence slots for a 2nd Lieutenant to be assigned who does not rank highly in one of the thirds. The only way to be somewhat assured is to rank highly in the top third. It is always possible to lateral transfer into Intelligence down the road. The process is described on pages 2-5 of the Mos Handbook available at the following link:

http://www.dcmarineofficer.com/welcomeab…

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    With the exception of those 2nd Lieutenants who arrive at TBS with Aviation or Jag contracts, all initial Marine Officer Mos's are assigned at TBS. The academic major of the degree is not relevant. Chances depend on class rank at TBS based on performance at TBS. The 2nd Lieutenants at TBS make up a dream list ranking the available MOS's. The class is split into thirds according to class rank: top third, middle third, bottom third. Each Mos is assigned equally from each third to achieve an even quality spread across Mos's. There are typically not enough Intelligence slots for a 2nd Lieutenant to be assigned who does not rank highly in one of the thirds. The only way to be somewhat assured is to rank highly in the top third. It is always possible to lateral transfer into Intelligence down the road. The process is described on pages 2-5 of the Mos Handbook available at the following link:

http://www.dcmarineofficer.com/welcomeab…
    FYI- I had a brand new 2nd LT as an MP Operations Officer and in less than a year he was assigned to flight training.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    FYI- I had a brand new 2nd LT as an MP Operations Officer and in less than a year he was assigned to flight training.
    Joe, that's because he knew me.

Credits
    Savings

Question

Quick question. Say I enlist for after high school, I live 30 miles WEST of St. Louis, Missouri. Since I'm west of the Mississippi, would I go to San Diego to train?

The Mississippi isn't the dividing line. Generally yes but it's more accurately done by recruiting district.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_...mand#Structure

Depends on what RS you go through.

It is natural for a 15 year-old to not have any leadership experience. You can gain some leadership skills by being on an athletic team at school, in band, student council, etc. Try to seek positions of responsibility or something you can be in charge of.

Leadership traits and characteristics are taught in the military (both enlisted and officer). As you progress in rank and experience, you will be afforded more opportunities to serve in leadership positions. Everyone develops their own leadership style and what works for one individual may not work for another.

I needed a break after high school so I joined the Marine Corps Reserves, took some time off, and now I'm starting my first semester as a Junior, and spending next year in Afghanistan. Something to consider if you want to go to school. It will also give you a good taste before going the officer route, which is very available. Some people insist the reserves are crap, don't listen to them, and if you do have a shot at college but are itching to get into the Corps this is certainly not a bad route to go.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Okay so I think I found a middle ground with my parents that makes us both happy. I've decided that I'll attend college and get my bachelor's degree. Then following graduation I'll enlist in the Marine Corps.

I'm wondering about DEP. What can I do to get a spot in Boot Camp for soon after I graduate college? I really don't wanna spend 6 months or something waiting to ship out. Thanks again.

Thread Information