AFQT Score
Closed Thread

Thread: AFQT Score

AFQT Score

I got a 142 "raw" score on the ASVAB via Military[dot]com.

I used the formula "AFQT = 2VE + AR + MK" to get the 142.

Would this be an acceptable score? I didn't study at all, but I feel I could do quite a bit better if I were to take it again. I go to Michigan State University (Go Green!) and I really want to serve my country. I'd probably join the reserves and then go to OTC once I graduate.

I've looked online and I see some people say 100 is really good, and some say 100 or so is really bad.

I'm really worried that this is not a good score. I have friends in the Marines, Army and Air Force that I know I'm smarter than, so I just want to clear this up. I know this question has been answered, because I've searched for it, but I still don't quite have a clear understanding of this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagiology View Post
    I got a 142 "raw" score on the ASVAB via Military[dot]com.

I used the formula "AFQT = 2VE + AR + MK" to get the 142.

Would this be an acceptable score? I didn't study at all, but I feel I could do quite a bit better if I were to take it again. I go to Michigan State University (Go Green!) and I really want to serve my country. I'd probably join the reserves and then go to OTC once I graduate.

I've looked online and I see some people say 100 is really good, and some say 100 or so is really bad.

I'm really worried that this is not a good score. I have friends in the Marines, Army and Air Force that I know I'm smarter than, so I just want to clear this up. I know this question has been answered, because I've searched for it, but I still don't quite have a clear understanding of this.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Talk to a recruiter...a Marine recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianhipwell View Post
    Talk to a recruiter...a Marine recruiter.
    Already done. I scheduled a meeting for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagiology View Post
    Already done. I scheduled a meeting for next week.
    Well go back to the recruiter, kick the hatch open, throw a Bud at him (don't miss), squat on his desk and take a dump at the same time you're yelling. "I WANT TO MEET NOW"!

That will at least get his attention, especially if you got him on his 'grape' with the beer can.

He He, you'll make it kid. I hope.

HIP

Last edited by Brianhipwell; 03-16-11 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spilled my drink

Thank you!

To be specific, I got:

Arithmetic Reasoning: 25 / 30
    World Knowledge: 33 / 35
    Paragraph Comprehension: 14 / 15
    Mathematics Knowledge: 23 / 25

I took World Knowledge, and Paragraph Comprehension and times them both by 2, which is 94, and added Mathematics Knowledge and Arithmetic Reasoning for 23 and 25, respectively. That's how I got an AFQT score of 142.

142 would be an 8th percentile, which is failing by a lot. (Need a min of 31 for any Armed Forces IIRC). However, since you didn't take the real ASVAB, that score isn't accurate anyway.

When you see someone mention their ASVAB score they're usually referring to their percentile.

Here's a breakdown of how the real ASVAB scores would break down into percentiles.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...lafqtscore.htm

Alright, thank you.

I was going to say, the lowest 8th percentile can't line up with that practice test correctly, I only got 10 answers wrong ( 95 / 105 ).

Is there any online place that has a REAL, practice ASVAB?

Your best bet for that would probably be hitting a library or bookstore and grabbing one of the ASVAB study guides. I'm fairly certain they have practice tests as well.

Honestly though, if you're scoring pretty high on a practice test, even if it is shorter, you're probably going to do fine. The ASVAB is really just a ton of the same type of question, haha.

When you talk to the recruiter, you can take a practice ASVAB right there at the recruiting office. This will give you a general idea about where you are in relation to the service branch minimums, 32 being the minimum for the Marine Corps. Now the AFQT score (which is what you got) is matched to a table that will show what percentile you are at for people who took the test, so yes, a 142 AFQT corresponds to an 8th percentile on the ASVAB, which is not very good. I think your calculations may be screwed up somewhere, so it's probably just easier to wait 'til you talk to a recruiter. At the office the practice test will be on a computer, and the computer will give you your score.

No profile, no further answers. Will be reopened if/when completed and you send me a PM.

Thread Information