motivation help
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: motivation help

motivation help

Hey guys needed some help from motivated poolees. For you guys who have been in DEP for months, how do you stay motivated? I waited 7 months for waivers and have been in DEP for 3 months. Don’t get me wrong I'm still dedicated to becoming a Marine, still going over knowledge and training physically 5-6 times a week. I Guess I feel like my routines getting old, and I don’t want to get off track now with only 2 and 1/2 months to go (maybe less). I wish i had a D.I yelling at me, that'd work. I always hear the same thing, stay motivated, and keep your eyes on the prize, and all that good stuff, but how? What are some things you guys do to keep your eyes on the prize? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.>>

Quote Originally Posted by holey336 View Post
    Hey guys needed some help from motivated poolees. For you guys who have been in DEP for months, how do you stay motivated? I waited 7 months for waivers and have been in DEP for 3 months. Don’t get me wrong I'm still dedicated to becoming a Marine, still going over knowledge and training physically 5-6 times a week. I Guess I feel like my routines getting old, and I don’t want to get off track now with only 2 and 1/2 months to go (maybe less). I wish i had a D.I yelling at me, that'd work. I always hear the same thing, stay motivated, and keep your eyes on the prize, and all that good stuff, but how? What are some things you guys do to keep your eyes on the prize? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.>>
    Watch movies about the Marine Corps. That always helps.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    I have been pting in my station, with no breaks, since April 2010. I DEPed in on 20100803. This means I have been pting for a year now with the recruiting station, and have been in the DEP for 8 months. Yes, the routine gets very old, but you learn many things in the DEP and have a chance to improve.

How do I stay motivated until June 27th? Keep telling yourself that soon you will be on the yellow footprints. Or, keep telling yourself that the more you are in the DEP pting and what not, the better chance of success you have in boot even though us poolees lack the mental training. Always remember why you are joining, and always remember that your family awaits seeing you in dress blues.

Last edited by PooleeGewarges; 03-14-11 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Edit: Also watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFeHoMhuz7A

good idea, thank you. i also talked to my recruiter and he's going to "motivate" at the office 3 times a week.... in hind sight never tell a Marine you want to be pushed harder to train.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Also, watch this to stay moto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFeHoMhuz7A

ive been mostly training on my own except for 2 saturdays a month when we train at the office, hopefully that'll help..... great vid too

Quote Originally Posted by achilles097 View Post
    Watch movies about the Marine Corps. That always helps.
    any suggestions? beside full metal jacket, i think i can recite that movie from memory, lol

Just think about how all those smiles and hearing "I'm proud of you son, you've really shown me a part of you that I never saw and it made me look back and say to myself I've raised a great son who is going to be a great Marine."

That is be the biggest motivator right there. It doesn't have to be the "high" you get after a good work out or those famous dress blues the Corps is known for but the thought of your family looking at you as a grown adult who is on the path of life going in the right direction. You've could've followed the "cool" kids and do what they were doing but you choose to do something to better yourself. Think about the rewards of actually becoming the adult you want to be and having the title Marine also.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    JARHEAD! Soem peopel say that this movie and book is suppose to be anti-military, but whatever, I loved this movie and really motivates me too.

Also, watch this moto commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dudoq...eature=related

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    Just think about how all those smiles and hearing "I'm proud of you son, you've really shown me a part of you that I never saw and it made me look back and say to myself I've raised a great son who is going to be a great Marine."

That is be the biggest motivator right there. It doesn't have to be the "high" you get after a good work out or those famous dress blues the Corps is known for but the thought of your family looking at you as a grown adult who is on the path of life going in the right direction. You've could've followed the "cool" kids and do what they were doing but you choose to do something to better yourself. Think about the rewards of actually becoming the adult you want to be and having the title Marine also.
    Agreed. I wanted to chose the path that is much more difficult to pass. I want to see if I have what it takes to be a Marine. to me it will be worth it to become a Marine because you become stronger mentally and physically and will be able to accomplish anything in life thereafter.

I think everybody becomes a little "de-moto" sometime during the DEP experience have it be dealing with weight issues *was my de-motivator*, not being able to do the minimum and actually trying to do more in PT, or just waiting until you ship and seeing others ship out before you when you THINK they shouldn't have.

Life will throw you all types of challenges that will tear you down but all you can do is learn how to cope with it and rebuild yourself from what ever damage it has done to you. Wait it out bro, the better you equip yourself with the knowledge and streght the better you'll float on through in Recruit Training. If you want a challenge just push harder. Put out.....anybody can do the IST and pass but shoot for that 8 minute 1.5 run or those 20 pull ups. Trust me.....if theres room to improve then improve, your body will thank you later when its telling you, "That wasn't ****.....glad I'm conditioned for this though"

Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.

any suggestions? beside full metal jacket, i think i can recite that movie from memory, lol
    Recently I watched Battle: Los Angeles... by itself an OK movie, not bad or good, but motivating. The Pacific (HBO series) is pretty good. The title is probably a dead give-away..it's about the Pacific Theater during WWII with the Marine Corps; it has Chesty Puller, John Basiline, Eugene Sledger, Robert Leckie played by actors. Generation Kill is another HBO series, and pretty good I thought...(based on a book), not a lot of action, but gives the opinions of 1'st Recon Bn Marines throughout the series about the initial phases of OIF. If you like documentaries, I highly recommend watching Ears Open, Eyeballs Click, it's filmed with no narration and simply leaves the experiences of the recruits in the footage. Definitely one of the most motivating. That would probably set your eye on the prize. I don't know what your MOS is, but I was told by my recruiter who is a grunt that The Battle of Marjah documentary is very accurate in its depiction of what Afghanistan is like right now. I watched it, but of course I cannot comment on its accuracy.

There are other Marine movies out there, Flags of our Fathers, Jarhead, etc, but it's up to you to see what you like. I'd definitely recommend Ears Open, Eyeballs Click though.

There are plenty of other ways to motivate yourself, this is just one aspect that helps.

thank you all so much, this helps a lot, i probably wont have family there supporting me at graduation but thats ok, ill be proud of myself, lol. i've seen jarhead and loved it, but a lot of those other movies sound great im deff. going to check them out. im no where near perfect on the pysical fitness aspect but i haven't had an issue with motivation there, still pushing my hardest. hopefully my time will come sooner than later i just hate waiting.

oh and i just remembered a good documentary I've recently watched about Marines in afghanistan is "Restrepo"nicely done, touching, but also shows the realties of war, made me remember what i want to fight for, and if you have netflix its on watch it now

oh and i just remembered a good documentary I've recently watched about Marines in afghanistan is "Restrepo"nicely done, touching, but also shows the realties of war, made me remember what i want to fight for, and if you have netflix its on watch it now
    Restrepo is another good documentary, however that's based on the 173rd Airborne, an Army unit.

Thread Information