How can I get a spot to leave early to boot?
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

How can I get a spot to leave early to boot?

Ok, so I've told my recruiter a thousand times over that I want to leave ASAP. My IST scores are more than perfect, and I've memorized all the **** I should about a month ago. I've been in the DEP for about 7 or 8 weeks now. I took the DLAB 4 weeks ago for my job contract, 02XX/26XX, and then signed it, so I'm good to go. I asked him again, today, that I want to leave early. But he told me that because my contract is hard to get, I will lose it and have to sign another if I leave before my set date. 20110411.

I know its only a month, but I want to go now. Waiting around here is a waste of my time. Sorry if I sound like an impatient child, but I'm starting to get cabin fever.

So I want to know is he is saying this just because he doesn't want to do more paperwork or to try to pull strings for me? I've haven't been convinced that he cares too much about his job, so I'm wondering if there's any way I can go around him or something I can say that can get my ass on the accelerated track.

One frustrated recruit,

Alex Visor

The yellow footprints will come soon enough, The Pride is Forever,Semper Fidelis.

According to your profile, your ship date is 11 April, 2011. That's only another 4 weeks.
    There are many others in the DEP a lot longer than you, you're turn to go to MCRD will come soon enough.
    And I would believe what your recruiter is telling you.
    Also......unless you know everything that a recruiter has to go through day in and day out, don't say that your recruiter doesn't care about his job.

Oh, and you're not no recruit yet.

I understand you want to begin your journey but four weeks is not that long.

Trust your recruiter (just as you'll have to trust your DI's). Try to understand he is juggling a lot of other poolees besides just yourself. He sees the big picture of the recruiting district and all you're looking at is you which is understandable. I defenitely would not recommend trying to go around him unless you want to cause problems for yourself.

Some day, after you pick up some rank and become responsible for other people besides yourself, you'll understand. That day will come sooner than you think. In the meantime, just do what you're told to the best of your ability every day. Learning patience is a part of growing up.

I agree with Top, I wouldn't recommend trying to go around your recruiter unless you want to cause problems for yourself.

Just a thought.......you wannabes and poolees might want to be more careful on what you're saying about your recruiters. This is a public site, and you never know, your recruiter just might be a member, or even a lurker.

You will learn to be patient one way or the other as in all of government service there is the game of hurry up and wait.You will be told to be some where at a certain time and you will get there and the wait will begin.

My fault I should have labeled myself as a "poolee". And don't get me wrong, Staff Sergeant Therrien is a cool guy, and I like him a lot, but he's an 0300 at heart. He's just about done with his recruitment job, he's reenlisted Infantry and leaves in June, and I get the feeling that he's pretty sick of dealing with poolees. I didn't mean to bash him, I just want to stop wasting my time.

And your right, I don't care about my recruitment district, Tennessee Top. Why should I? If there's two different kinds of poolees, Sir, the kind that get recruited, and the kind that know what they want, and only see recruiters as a way to get paperwork done, I'm the latter.

I'm at the recruitment station everyday, PTing every morning at 0800.

I dropped out this semester as a sophomore in College, because I KNOW that the Marine Corps will be good for me, and I will have plenty of time to finish my degree later.

I was ready to leave the second I swore in.

And now, almost a semester later, a semester that I could have been in school, I'm still waiting to leave. If I had known it would take this long, I would have pushed my ship date back to May, so I could have gotten another semester under my belt.

I don't want to cause trouble for myself. But I don't believe the best course of action is inaction, no matter what the case is. All I did was post a question, hoping someone might know something about how recruitment offices work. And all people say is be patient and then go on to reprimand me for not trusting my recruiter? It makes it seem like I was wrong to assume that my recruiter doesn't have my best interests at heart. Where at the same time, on this very website, I've read many cases where the recruiters either by carelessness, or stupidness, have screwed their recruits out of jobs. My recruiter is nice guy, but only I have my best interests at heart.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hope someone dies??

How bad do you want to go, bad enough to to lose your job contract ? That's what you need to ask yourself.

Visor15, your Recruiter is looking out for you more than you know. Yes, the INTEL program is one of the quickest programs to go in the recruiting field. You should feel lucky that you have been assigned one. If you leave early to rectruit training, you will fall under another recruiting ship period and you lose that program. Stay the course. Also be glad you have a ship date at all, many do not yet. Your Mission is to ship on the prescribed date. Your Recruiter has a Mission as well, he has to juggle the poolee's to ship at the best times for their Programs, all while contracting for next year. Trust your Recruiter on this one.

Nobody is talking down to you here. You posted your question on "Ask A Marine". Some people like the responses they get and some don't (we tend to get to the point). Sorry if you don't.

Our system is not perfect. But, it's the system you volunteered to join and the system you need to adjust to as it's not going to adjust to you. You can trust your recruiter or not; your decision. You can go behind his back if you believe he might screw you up but be prepared to live with the consequences. You may want to believe the recruiting world revolves around you but sadly, it does not. You want to believe recruiters are only there to get your paperwork done...fine. Hope it works out for you.

As has been mentioned above, the Marine Corps moves at it's own pace and has for over 200 years. If you expect it to speed up for you I think you'll be disappointed. We know you expect things to happen fast, don't want to waste your time, and know what you want. You haven't even gotten a taste of life on active duty yet. My question to you is: what happens when you're on active duty, you know what you want (say, maybe a promotion or school assignment), but it just ain't happening fast enough for you and you feel you're wasting all this time cause there's not a thing you can do about it but wait? Who are you going to complain to because they don't have your best interests at heart? Who are you going to try to go around? How will you ever cope not having it your way? I'll tell you what you're going to do...you're going to wait your turn just like everybody else because you're nobody special.

Naturally you want to look out for #1; everybody does. But, you're just going to have to trust the system you're about to join and do the very best you can every day. If not, your life is going to be miserable. You may have to adjust your expectations and timetable some and realign priorities. Flexibility is key to a successful career and right now, you are not sounding very flexible.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't be in an all-fired hurry to ship. When you get to the MCRD things will speed up so fast you will probably not keep up. And you will be wondering why you joined at all and wondering how to get out of this insane asylum.

Believe it or not there is a method to the madness. Your ship date is predicated on several things: First, and most important, the date a seat opens for your butt at the intel schoolhouse, then the start date of an MCT company that will graduate in time for you to make the schoolhouse on time, then the pickup date of a forming platoon that will graduate in time for 10-days leave and getting to MCT on time.

Patience, young Padawan. Remember the story of the old bull and the young bull.

I understand what serving in the military is like. My father was a Major in the Army. So please save me the lectures about it being bigger than one person. I know how it works.

Besides that, thanks for the advice guys. I've decided I'll just go with the flow. I don't want to risk losing my contract.

I say "suck it up buttercup"! You had better get used to waiting for things you want.

Thread Information