Vetting Process - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vetting Process

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    .....My DD214, and my DD215, are displayed in my photo album. Have a look and tell me if I've done the wrong thing.....PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    I'll be gone.
    I'm sure the site will be okay if you go.

I'm not expecting it to happen, like I said, I've been asking for it for years.

The only sensitive information on a DD214 is your SSN. Not too difficult to black that out.

Wookie-glad to see you're still alive and kicking!

Quote Originally Posted by Covey_Rider View Post
    The only sensitive information on a DD214 is your SSN. Not too difficult to black that out.

Wookie-glad to see you're still alive and kicking!
    You don't even need a scanner. A few years ago when I sent mine in, I used a crummy old cellphone, not a smart phone, to take a picture of my dd214 and sent it off. I did black out some other info, next of kin, and such. But you are right there isn't too much personal info that can't be easily blackened out.

I've been down in Florida catching some spring games.

Life is tough.

Good to see you, too -- stay safe, Bro.

Hmmmm....the vetting process....
    I haven't posted in a while so I'll chime in.

I'm a member of another USMC site that many here may patronize also and did a one year paid subscription which is now just expired.
    I filled out my profile and voluntarily sent them a scan of my DD214 because I did not want to leave any doubt about my service.
    I see BS on both sites and that is to be expected...it's the internet and people can hide behind ghost identities for reasons of self exaltation and boasting.
    Yes..lots of extra work for the volunteer mods so that is a site hosting decision that requires some thought and dedication to the process.
    And no...I don't have any better ideas than what has already been discussed here.

I lurk here and the other site daily in case I see someone I've served with, was on Ops with during my era or can actually contribute to a given thread.
    We all come here to interact for different reasons.
    Honestly, I don't post much on either site for a few very specific reasons.

Carry on...

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    How? How do we accomplish it? Plus, we also have wannabees/friends etc...so how do we do the vetting while still allowing them to come in and do this as well?

I'm open to suggestions and not shooting down the idea...but this has to be 'workable' for everyone as well as 'user friendly'.
    The only other suggestion I have is that if you want to view or post in the Marine Only section, you should prove you're a Marine

I was granted the privilege to post in there for which I am grateful but I'd be willing to forgo that privilege because I'm not a Marine

So if you make the Marine Only section just that, it will leave the other public areas open. And if you're a Marine and want to log on as one and don't wish to participate in the private section, you can forgo the vetting process

Just my 2 cents

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    The only other suggestion I have is that if you want to view or post in the Marine Only section, you should prove you're a Marine

I was granted the privilege to post in there for which I am grateful but I'd be willing to forgo that privilege because I'm not a Marine

So if you make the Marine Only section just that, it will leave the other public areas open. And if you're a Marine and want to log on as one and don't wish to participate in the private section, you can forgo the vetting process

Just my 2 cents

Diverse and educated opinions from people like you help others see some of the faults with their thought processes. I don't believe that gentlemen such as yourself should ever be excluded from participation here regardless of you being a swabbie at heart.

Credits
    Savings
    Diverse and educated opinions from people like you help others see some of the faults with their thought processes. I don't believe that gentlemen such as yourself should ever be excluded from participation here regardless of you being a swabbie at heart.
    Thank you for the kind words

Oh yeah, throwing around scanned DD214s into cyberspace is real good especially with all the sensitive data on them that can be used for identity theft. No thanks! Won't get mine I promise.

DD214 or records or military service can be obtained via FOIA anyway. Just black out your SSN. The people doing the vetting will be Mods and delete that right after anyway.

Just my 2 cents
    Very good suggestions.

By the way, we're still watching you so do not become too complacent.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Very good suggestions.

By the way, we're still watching you so do not become too complacent.
    LOL..never going to happen Russ. Some one has to speak up for the Squids

Just my 2 cents
    I completely agree with this post. However I think that service members who decide to go through a vetting process should have access to the Marines Only section, especially if they have served alongside the Marine Corps.

As stated before this would be a lot of extra work for mods. I know I would be more than willing to help where I can, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    DD214 or records or military service can be obtained via FOIA anyway. Just black out your SSN. The people doing the vetting will be Mods and delete that right after anyway.

If that is the case, then the powers that be only need my name and can go get it themselves.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I'm sure the site will be okay if you go.

Back at ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    .....My DD214, and my DD215, are displayed in my photo album. Have a look and tell me if I've done the wrong thing.....PLEASE!
    Come on Doc. The Navy didn't have DD214's when you got out, did they?

Thread Information