Naval Observer wings to return
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Naval Observer wings to return

This may apply to some of you. Be nice if they gave you extra money

Corps brings back wings for airborne Marines

The Marine Corps is resurrecting Naval Aviation Observer Wings after a 15-year-hiatus. Hundreds of Marines will now be eligible to wear them, according to a recent Marine administrative message.
    <form id="hidden"> <input id="headline" value="Corps brings back wings for airborne Marines" type="hidden"> <input id="url" value="http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/marine-corps-brings-back-wings-for-airborne-marines-030511w/" type="hidden"> </form> Although the device doesn’t rate extra pay or perks, it is a rare distinction for non-pilots working aboard aircraft in close-air support operations, according to the Feb. 8 MARADMIN.

Many of these Marines have contributed significantly to the Corps’ efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, said Capt. Brian Block, a Marine spokesman at the Pentagon, although combat experience is not a prerequisite for the device.
    What’s old is now new

Naval Aviation Observer Wings have been around for decades, but the last Marines authorized to wear them flew on OV-10 Bronco reconnaissance planes in the mid-1990s. Some fast facts about the device:

• The wings were created in 1921 and discontinued for six months between December 1968 and May 1969.
    • The original device was similar to pilots’ wings, but the right wing was clipped and it featured a fouled anchor in place of a shield.
    • Variations of the device have been worn over the years by Marine flight meteorologists, navigators, radar operators and others.

“We decided to award this device as the right thing to do,” Block said.

The last Marines to wear observer wings worked as aerial observers aboard OV-10 Bronco reconnaissance planes, which were phased out in 1995. Today, those authorized to wear them fly in a variety of aircraft, including the KC-130 Hercules, MV-22 Osprey, F/A-18 Hornet and many of the Corps’ helicopters.

To qualify for the device,
    he must serve in one of the following four military occupational specialties:

• 7202, Air Command and Control Officer

• 7208, Air Support Control Officer
    • 7242, Air Support Operations Operator
    • 5339, Aviation Communications System Technician.

The ABDASC gets to wear wings now?

Holy crap, the lifers are going to shanking each other to get flight time to wear some gold around the pilots who run the wing.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyius View Post
    The ABDASC gets to wear wings now?

Holy crap, the lifers are going to shanking each other to get flight time to wear some gold around the pilots who run the wing.

LOL......

They were talking about bringing back the OV10 as the OV10X Super Bronco. Boeing bought out Rockwell years ago and has an airframe design for it. She could tear up a target and do low level and high level insertions with 7 Force Recon Marines crammed in the back. Last person had their feet dangling out the back and a seatbelt to hold him in.

Every Non pilot AIRCREW I ever seen wore the Aircrew Wings, I dont see any difference except for the anchor without AC next to it.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My Combat Aircrew Wings that I used to wear had a ribbon type affair for the gold stars denoting combat just above the center piece. I got mine in Vietnam when I served as a door gunner and aircrew dropping thousands of flares out of the back end of a C130 out of Danang.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Forgot to add that my last 5 1/2 years was spent in VMO-1 at New River, NC when I came back from In-Country with HML-167 in 1971. No place for an Ordnanceman in HML although I did make a cruise with them in 1976 to the Med on the USS Guadacanal a rust bucket LPH. I retired the end of October, 1976 with 22 years. Actually I think we had four Hueys, four CH-53s and the rest were CH-46s, the old "Crowd Killers". In Vietnam we used to say" See the '46. See the '46 try to fly over the mountain. See the 46 become two 23s. They were for the most part, a great aircraft but I wouldn't want to fly in the old ones. Once saw one take an RPG up the ass when the ramp was open over in the Charlie Ridge area, Indian Country. Took out a lot of good Marines.

Thread Information