Boot Camp Then and These Days? - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    I went to MCRD San Diego for boot camp in 2000. It was a ball breaker for me. 2nd week in, a DI smashed a kid in the head with his hygiene bag, busted his head open had to get stitches. Everyone called him scarface after that. The DI got in big trouble, but was back drilling us a week later.

Then....another DI, while practicing rifle drill, roughly grabbed a kids rifle, and in doing so, accidently hit the kid on top of the eye with the front sight post, sending another kid to medical with a busted head and more stitches.

They made us drink so much water that it was not uncommon to see recruits **** themselves or even better, **** into their laundry bags when the DI's weren't looking. The reason for this was often, if you requested to make a head call, they would make you down a canteen before you did--causing you to need to **** again in about 10 minutes.

The best was when ever we did rifle drill a few of the DI's loved to knuckle punch us right in the ribs---hurt like hell. Whenever the DI's would walk the line during rilfe drill, you could see the recruits tighten up their bodies in case one of the DI decided to jab a knuckle in the side of their ribs.

I agree, for physically fit people who played lots of sports in High School, boot camp wasn't that tough, but for many, like myself, who spent highschool playing video games, the PT was intense.

I don't know about now, but I remember having to do a million push ups, flutter kicks, and running my ass off every morning.

Would I do it again --- Hell YA!

Last edited by vets rep; 10-05-11 at 11:13 AM. Reason: fixed a typo

Quote Originally Posted by vets rep View Post
    I went to MCRD San Diego for boot camp in 2000. It was a ball breaker for me. 2nd week in, a DI smashed a kid in the head with his hygiene bag, busted his head open had to get stitches. Everyone called him scarface after that. The DI got in big trouble, but was back drilling us a week later.

Then....another DI, while practicing rifle drill, roughly grabbed a kids rifle, and in doing so, accidently hit the kid on top of the eye with the front sight post, sending another kid to medical with a busted head and more stitches.

They made us drink so much water that it was not uncommon to see recruits **** themselves or even better, **** into their laundry bags when the DI's weren't looking. The reason for this was often, if you requested to make a head call, they would make you down a canteen before you did--causing you to need to **** again in about 10 minutes.

The best was when ever we did rifle drill a few of the DI's loved to knuckle punch us right in the ribs---hurt like hell. Whenever the DI's would walk the line during rilfe drill, you could see the recruits tighten up their bodies in case one of the DI decided to jab a knuckle in the side of their ribs.

I agree, for physically fit people who played lots of sports in High School, boot camp wasn't that tough, but for many, like myself, who spent highschool playing video games, the PT was intense.

I don't know about now, but I remember having to do a million push ups, flutter kicks, and running my ass off every morning.

Would I do it again --- Hell YA!
    If your Drill Instructors actually did what you are saying they did, all who participated should be ran up with the morning colors. (Not only is it against regs, but they must not have been very smart and put their careers on the line.) Sounds to me like all they did was have beat downs and didn't teach, which is what they should have been doing.

Good thing I was not the series GySgt. (if they still have those) because they would have been standing tall in front of the man if I had seen any of it. There will always be a few Drill Instructors who think they become God when they put on that Smokey. Some do not have since enouth to realize that they are only bringing rain down on all their brother Drill Instructors and the Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    If your Drill Instructors actually did what you are saying they did, all who participated should be ran up with the morning colors. (Not only is it against regs, but they must not have been very smart and put their careers on the line.)
    Aye, my story is true -- I swear on chesty's grave. The occasional jab in the ribs wasn't so bad. It was the water torture that killed all of us. Anytime we messed up the DI's would say "You guys must be suffering from Dehydration, get out your canteens and drink" --

As a result of my boot camp training, I can hold my pee for an ungodly amount of time....

But...honestly, all though boot camp was tough, it did prepare us for what came afterward. Most of the recruits (at least the 03's) from platoon 3113 were part of RCT-5, one of the first units to cross the border into Iraq...and most of us ended up doing multiple tours in Iraq.

It might be wrong, but I think a lot of marines look back fondly at all the crazy hazing we had to endure in boot camp.

Hazing is one thing (Also against regs), Maltreatment is something else again. I'm not saying it does not go on, but when it is premedatiated, there are no excuses. All Drill Instructors lose it at one time or another, otherwise they would not be human, but a Drill Instructor who plans before drill that he is going to beat down recruits/recruit, deserves whatever punishment he receives if he is guilty of the infraction.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    hazing, maltreatment, its all necessary to produce fighting Marines

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Since I was tha Platoon HOUSEMOUSE,makes Me glad I ain't in now 'cause don't know how I'd Handle The New Corps. Drill Instructors giving Each other a Reach Around

LOL Old Marine, in my days in boot camp, what he described is hourly teachings. Good thing these younguns dont have to worry about the swagger sticks anymore.

Tripledog: Yea, those swagger sticks were really great. Its also a good thing they don't have to worry about haversacks and knapsacks with "M" BUCKLES that hurt like the devil when they bounced off the side of your head. But it did get everyones attention.

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    Since I was tha Platoon HOUSEMOUSE,makes Me glad I ain't in now 'cause don't know how I'd Handle The New Corps. Drill Instructors giving Each other a Reach Around
    The pussification of my beloved Corps is almost complete. Just need to un-capitalize "Marine". Sad sad times indeed.

Thread Information