Supreme Court 8-1 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The government disallowing someone to speak is quite different than the people. If someone chooses to spread their message by spouting it in the streets, they must be ready for someone to shout over them.

The reason permitting is required for peaceful assembly is because large assemblies in modern urban areas can cause issues that require prior planning. It is my belief that an assembly should never be forbidden, but asking for the authorities to be alerted for planning purposes before hand is not unreasonable.

I understand the difference between disruption and protest. If one chooses to hold a funeral at a cemetery that is in close proximity to a public way, unfortunately, they must be prepared to deal with noises and disturbances that come from that public way.

I also do concede that the SCOTUS is not always correct in their decision. That said, based off my interpretation and understanding of the constitution I believe they came to the correct decision in this case.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Go Dave! We may not be able to stop them but we can sure get on the street in front of them and show them what parts of us they can kiss.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    The Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Westboro Baptist Church. PGR will need to stand up more now. Ruling based on Free Speech.
    Thats just a shame. It is people like them that give America a bad image. Funerals are for giving last respects, not an opportunity to catch some publicity and protest.

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    Go Dave! We may not be able to stop them but we can sure get on the street in front of them and show them what parts of us they can kiss.
    I agree !

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    The government disallowing someone to speak is quite different than the people. If someone chooses to spread their message by spouting it in the streets, they must be ready for someone to shout over them.

The reason permitting is required for peaceful assembly is because large assemblies in modern urban areas can cause issues that require prior planning. It is my belief that an assembly should never be forbidden, but asking for the authorities to be alerted for planning purposes before hand is not unreasonable.

I understand the difference between disruption and protest. If one chooses to hold a funeral at a cemetery that is in close proximity to a public way, unfortunately, they must be prepared to deal with noises and disturbances that come from that public way.

I also do concede that the SCOTUS is not always correct in their decision. That said, based off my interpretation and understanding of the constitution I believe they came to the correct decision in this case.

Mike
    How much flexibility do you have in choosing a funeral location? I don't think it's a fair statement to say that if you choose to hold a funeral at a cemetery that is in close proximity to a public way, you have to be prepared to deal with disturbances that come from that public way when those disturbances are intentionally created.

Credits
    Savings
    Agreed. It is essentially up to social pressures to drown them out. If it is frowned upon by enough people, their message will carry no weight.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Tough to put pressure on people like that, who are just glorying in their victory today.
    I don't think they'll stop unless and until some legal action actually goes thru, which will carry sanctions if they don't stop doing what they're doing. But these folks don't know the meaning of stopping on their own, no matter what pressure.
    If the courts end up getting involved, Westboro will stop, but I don't think they will until then, they have to have an outlet for all that hatred.
    Unfortunately, your right. All we can do until then is plug our ears and turn the other cheek ( If we don't feel like giving them a piece of our own minds that is)

It's just a matter of time before they cross paths with someone crazier and more violent than they are.

Credits
    Savings
    Just like the saying, "live by the sword, die by the sword". Karma will get them sooner or later.

All I know is this ruling has started a sh*t storm around here and people want justice anyway they can get it. I have prayed it would never come to this but the feelings are getting strong and some may just take it to the next step. And yes there are some around here that are just that crazy.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by hbharrison View Post
    All I know is this ruling has started a sh*t storm around here and people want justice anyway they can get it. I have prayed it would never come to this but the feelings are getting strong and some may just take it to the next step. And yes there are some around here that are just that crazy.
    Butch you live fairly close to these inbreds. Do they have a compound like the Branch Dividians?

Credits
    Savings
    I get your drift, Commander Dan.
    Or is it "catch your drift"? or both?

LOL counselor. You remember the Davidians Dave, splinter group of the 7th Day Adventists? They did not have a happy ending

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, I do, that's why I said I get your drift, i.e. I understand the reference, to the Branch Davidians in Waco, Texas and the FBI involvement-----

So what's your take on this? Different scenarios obviously but they may come to a bad end as well. I think Butch mentioned awhile back they do have a compound

I hear you, Butch, but it would be too bad to allow those folks to win by drawing regular people into the situation of getting arrested. But that is the way it often happens.
    Having been raised in the same town and surrounding towns to the one Butch lives in I know the people there, and their attitudes. I have aunts, uncles, cousins, and one brother who live in Topeka, and the surrounding towns. The small town boys are the rowdy, lets get drunk and whoop on one another types. WBC has a Church in Topeka, just 30 miles from Butch. I've seen it. They stand out at the curb with banners, and signs. Bunch of certifiable nutcases. The locals claim they are inbreds of the Jim Jones variety. I tend to think that also. WBC gets all their legal chit done by a member of the family they sent to law school, so bankrupting them with legal fees for lawyers wont work. Might cost the governement Millions to fight them, but their bill would be in the thousands.

Have been riding motorcycles all my life and been on many funeral details with the PG. None are enjoyable but normally well received with respect and thanks. The PG is on a mission to give honor to our warriors and not degrade their service by opposition as much as they would like to at times. It would not break my heart to see some 1% clubs intervene as they have in the past. Hate to throw this into the mix but has anyone thought about charging these folks with discrimination. Last i heard was there are a number of states that honor same sex marriages, therefore they cannot be calling our fallen gay or lesbian in there protests. If I were to protest and mention race I would be shut down on the spot. Maybe we would make better headway looking to the law to put a stop to this crap than to the constitution.

Last edited by willom; 03-03-11 at 02:08 AM. Reason: even though the press refers to everyone as soldiers it is not correct guess i have been gone to long, appologize all aroung

Thread Information