Mags
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mags

Mags

Pumping out to AStan in awhile. Looking at getting decent magazines for my M4. Anyone use any good brands? Most of what I can find is Tapco and PMAG; but I'd like some advise from those who have used them in country. Also, is it really worth the extra couple bucks for the windows on them?

H&K mags. The things have never failed me while in a fire fight. Never, and I mean never have I had a malfunction while in combat. Used them both on the range and in combat and has been one of the best mags I have ever used. Still have them in my flak and will continue to use them. Great piece of gear, but rather pricey. I didn't have to pay for mine though. I myself am not too big on the clear mags so take it for what it's worth. Besides those, I still use the metal mags from the early 90's that are just beat to hell. In theater I usually load a full mag of tracers in those for different functions and to mark targets.

I used Pmag's for my last deployment and never had one fail on me. Lightweight and can take some abuse. As far as windows, some guys like some don't notice them. I always switched out if I felt I was low.

The Pmag's are great mags, just never used them in combat and didn't want to say anything related to that. Windows, in my opinion are personal pref. I have never really noticed them when I have used them. To me it's all about feel, but them again it's all about what you are comfortable with. It's your ass in the fight, not anyone else.

They issued us PMAGs and they are pretty good, defiantly better than USGI metal ones. It's up to you if you want to spend $20 per mag times how ever many you're going to buy.

Please do not get TAPCO anything.

I use PMAGs on my personal rifle and picked up a handful for my pending deployment. If you buy a 10 pack they are only 13-15 bucks a piece, which isn't bad. They are also a helluva lot lighter than the HK mags, which is a plus in my book. Friends who used them overseas also recommended them, not to mention they have done incredible in independent testing, and some do have an NSN.

I have the windows on mine, more useful for just playing around at the range but for 10-15 extra bucks for the lot I figured why not. Be careful to count the rounds when loading as they will hold 31.5 rounds, so they can seat on a closed bolt with 30, if you don't overload them.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't know good mags from bad, just know mine pop the bottom plate after sitting with 31. My son-in-law is gonna get me some since they throw them out after a couple o uses. He's Airborne Army type.

I'm going to through another vote down for the PMAG. I have never used the HK mags so I can't comment on whether they're better or worse than the PMAG. The PMAGs are durable, light, and very easy to clean. I purchased the ones with the window on the side, however I rarely actually utilized the window on the side. I have heard rumor however that 2nd MARDIV has put a ban using PMAGs. Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure. Either way, I have never had a malfunction using them and I still use them to this day outside of the Marine Corps. Good luck on your deployment and keep your head down.

I don't see why they would ban them as I have never talked to anyone who has had any issue with them, ever, period. I've had TONS of problems with USGI mags, more than I can count on one hand, and this is all in training, often in clean conditions. With regard to PMAGs I know some units issue them, and we were encouraged to pick them up on the platoon level. I can't speak for 2nd Mardiv but I highly doubt that is anything more than a rumor.

Mike

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    .....CRAGER "SS".....da' best!

Credits
    Savings
    I use pmags with the windows. i like them, though in a firefight i dont ever recal looking at the windows to check rounds lol usually its when im downloading

Actually, the PMAGs at Xtremem outfitters were the cheapest ones I saw. Anyway, I'm in AF and enjoy the ones I purchased. Its pretty wet here now, and having nonmetalic items are nice. I don't think windows are worth it, but whatever, no biggie.

I think the ban is more than a rumor. Saw a sign at the MCX today by the PMags that said "PMags are banned in all government issued weapons".

How stupid....

Wow, where was this? JVille? A lot of guys are using them here in AFG. They are really good gear.

Thread Information