What does Master Sergeants job?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What does Master Sergeants job?

What do Master Sergeants do, and who do they advise to? (IE: Platoon, Company, battalion, etc)

I was looking online, for about the past hour, and could not find information that I needed.

Thanks a lot!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Ok thanks, added some information to my profile.

Master Sergeants are the higher level 'duty experts' in a work section. While a First Sergeant may be the Commanders head 'admin' guy/gal at the company level, the Master Sergeant is the one 'in the trenches' and who ensures the day to day work actually gets done in the 'shop', be it Comm, Avionics, Intell, Admin or what have you.

Pretty much what Sgt Lep said. In a nutshell, MSgts/MGySgts are senior operational advisors or operations chiefs. They stay within their MOS/OccField for their entire career, where as 1stSgt's/SgtsMaj give up their primary MOS to become an 8999 and can go to any type of unit that has a billet for them.

Not much more to add.

As a MSgt, I remained in my MOS and worked at the battalion level in the Fleet Marine Force and the Directorate level in a joint command (USCENTCOM J2).

A MSgt is an E-8 pay grade same as a 1stSgt. Like explained above, MSgt's remain in their MOS field while 1stSgt's leave their MOS and are normally at the company level as the Company Commander's senior enlisted advisor. 1stSgt's are also assigned to Inspector-Instructor Staffs.

When promoted to pay grade E-9, Master Sergeants become Master Gunnery Sergeants. First Sergeants get promoted to Sergeant Majors. Both move up to the battlion/division/wing levels.

Thread Information