How is this possible?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How is this possible?

Just posting this here because this is the only place I can post anything, and I wanted to see what people thought.

Most of you are probably familiar with the story of the Lone Survivor, in which 4 Navy SEALs were ambushed and only one, Marcus Luttrell, survived and then wrote a book to honor them. Immedately after hearing this, I admired the guy and looked up to him. But recently I saw a video where he was almost bragging about doing some crazy stuff and getting kills etc. But that's not what bothered me..it was when he said "at one point I fell off a mountain" (he already had multiple bullet wounds, shrapnel from an rpg, and a broken back and he was crawling) He went on to say that he fell 1500 feet..Im 99% positive that that is impossible..and it seems as if every time he explains it its a little different..what do you guys think..heres the link, I don't know if it will work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQebS8WUYuA

I don't think he's meaning he fell 1500 feet straight the **** down, with nothing in between. Falling down ridges and slopes etc.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I read Luttrell's book, and he did not fall 1,500 feet straight down. It was as usmcmsf said. But, falling down some rocky steep slopes can make you wish you fell straight down instead.

Luttrell didn't even write the book, it was written by another author while Luttrell was deployed in Iraq, half of it is plagiarizing Dick Couch's "The Warrior Elite", a quarter of it is fact, the other quarter is a fantasy made up by the author, who's known for writing Navy SEAL fiction.

Read Michael Murphy's MoH citation, 30-40 Taliban ambushed them not 100-150. Still not good odds, but not an epic firefight where the Spartans held off a million man army for 3 days or anything, the book says they killed like 50 of them. Nope, there weren't even 50 Taliban to kill. There's a lot of glaring errors in terms of technical terms in the book as well that give it away. A lot of the "AAR" mentioned in the book never happened, Axelson didn't kill 15 Taliban with a pistol after being shot several times and almost directly hit with an RPG. It angers me that Luttrell is authorizing this man to write a book that is an obvious disgrace to the memory of the men who died on the Abas Ghar.

The book also failed to mention that it was supposed to be a Marine scout sniper team that was supposed to be inserted, but the SEALs wanted to be a part of the operation to get Shah, the Marines said "bring a PRC-117" to which the SEALs said, "lol no, we got a sat phone"

I'm not hating on Luttrell either, in my opinion the author took Luttrell's swagger and Texan attitude and ran too far with it. I think his name is Patrick Robinson.

Marcus Luttrell is a warrior. Who are you? That is what I think.

Yeah, I know, but he didn't actually pen the book. He was interviewed by Patrick Robinson, who wrote it while Luttrell was deployed. When Luttrell says "200 Taliban" that's because that's how many of them were in the area, however he says that he saw 30-40 of them right in front of them and they started to descend and flank them. In an area as small as they were fighting in, 200 fighters would've shredded them instantly. Like I said Murphy's citation says 30-40 Taliban, Luttrell said it was 30-40, only the book says otherwise. Sometimes he does say 80-200 in the interview because Shah controlled only about 30-40 fighters but would leech off of the local militias.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Marcus Luttrell is a warrior. Who are you? That is what I think.
    I'm not old enough to be a poolee but im doing JROTC. Of course he is a warrior and as I said I admired him but if he lied about what he did to make himself look like a hero when his buddies died thats pretty screwed up. I don't know though so I asked what you guyd thought. Why do I always get this kind of reaction Im joining the Corps and 3xx as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul4iezos View Post
    I'm not old enough to be a poolee but im doing JROTC. Of course he is a warrior and as I said I admired him but if he lied about what he did to make himself look like a hero when his buddies died thats pretty screwed up. I don't know though so I asked what you guyd thought. Why do I always get this kind of reaction Im joining the Corps and 3xx as well.
    yeah don't fret. you don't have to be anything to question things.

noooooo

goddammit, he didn't lie about anything, he's human and he does suffer from PTSD. He just didn't write the book, on the cover it says it's by Luttrell and Robinson, many books are written this way, he was still active duty at the time it was written. I'm not saying he's a liar at all, I'm saying that Robinson did a disservice to Luttrell and everyone who died on that mountain.

and kid, how old are you? If you aren't like 16 or 17 just don't bother with saying that you're gonna go 03. When you are actually about to sign your life to the Marine Corps you might be changing your mind on infantry.

I am going to do a test with you. I am going to get twenty to thirty of my buddies and shoot at you with AKs. Then after ten minutes somebody else is going to shoot at you with 100 of his friends but I won't tell you who is going first. Bet you can't tell the difference. Now do it after you have been shot, your friends are dying and you are evading. 20-30 dudes is a lot of dudes. It isn't easy determining the size of an enemy force under fire, especially when all you see is brief snapshots of battle as you try to raise your head to look around without getting shot. It is perfectly reasonable for him to be off by a hundred. I don't care how well you are trained.

On the other hand, it is equally likely is that the intel reports were way off as well. How are they getting the reports? There is no magic battle tracking system or battlefield CSI, at the end of the day they are getting that information from mathematically challenged Afghans. From what I am told, you will get reports varying from there were two guys to 500 guys. At the end of the day no one has any idea how many guys were there, and Marcus Luttrell was actually there so I would give him the benefit of the doubt. And what if there were "only" thirty? It doesn't take anything away from his heroism. 30 guys on key terrain will certainly put a hurting on a four man team.

Im 99% positive that that is impossible..
    That statement right there, from a kid in JROTC, is why you got the reaction that you got.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I am going to do a test with you. I am going to get twenty to thirty of my buddies and shoot at you with AKs. Then after ten minutes somebody else is going to shoot at you with 100 of his friends but I won't tell you who is going first. Bet you can't tell the difference. Now do it after you have been shot, your friends are dying and you are evading. 20-30 dudes is a lot of dudes. It isn't easy determining the size of an enemy force under fire, especially when all you see is brief snapshots of battle as you try to raise your head to look around without getting shot. It is perfectly reasonable for him to be off by a hundred. I don't care how well you are trained.

On the other hand, it is equally likely is that the intel reports were way off as well. How are they getting the reports? There is no magic battle tracking system or battlefield CSI, at the end of the day they are getting that information from mathematically challenged Afghans. From what I am told, you will get reports varying from there were two guys to 500 guys. At the end of the day no one has any idea how many guys were there, and Marcus Luttrell was actually there so I would give him the benefit of the doubt. And what if there were "only" thirty? It doesn't take anything away from his heroism. 30 guys on key terrain will certainly put a hurting on a four man team.
    wait, now you're agreeing with me?

i am confuse

Quote Originally Posted by Devil1087 View Post
    i am confuse
    You should be since I was never speaking to you. Or are you confused about which person you are,,,,,,

Thread Information