Old Corps /New Corps/ what corps? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote Originally Posted by Otter5 View Post
    The service number is still in my brain today , as it was screamed at me the day it was given me; SSN I look in my billfold to remember
    I'm the same way , as my beloved DIs hammer that through my head and I can still say those numbers , as I('ll need them to report in when I die here , they will be the last things going through my mind !

Credits
    Savings
    You can see a difference every year your in the Corps, You get a boot drop at your shop and it seems every year since the time you came in the get nastier and more hanus*spelling. I think its all just a mindset as your mind matures over the years in the Corps.. and the fact they Marines age like dogs, every 1 year in the Corps takes 7 off the end.. it just happens.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Exactly, the fact that im a Squad Leader and I have been for quite some time, gets me excempt from duties like cleaning and doing drills with crew served weapons ect.. eventually it gets in your head like ya im ****ing salty and them the Sgt Major Comes around and starts talking about how he came in in 1977 and your like holy **** im a boot. But i will tell you nothing makes you feel better then putting a pfc/lcpl on blast his first week in the fleet, something satisfying about it. If yo can get a boot to cry the first day then the rest of his career he will remember you and the errors of his way.. instil discipline through fear.. just saying lol

Credits
    Savings
    In the old Corps, the grunts anyway, getting drunk or laid or both and showing up late or getting arrested for fighting was a pretty good excuse, it didn't get you off but it usually didn't get on your record. In the old Corps stealing gear, equipment or booze from another outfit or branch was only a problem if you got caught and the good CO's told you so.

The bottom line is that there will always be some Marine in the Corps who can call you a boot.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    In the old Corps, the grunts anyway, getting drunk or laid or both and showing up late or getting arrested for fighting was a pretty good excuse, it didn't get you off but it usually didn't get on your record. In the old Corps stealing gear, equipment or booze from another outfit or branch was only a problem if you got caught and the good CO's told you so.
    Tony is 100% correct. My unit and Marines I know from other grunt units. All tell the same story. It was almost expected of you.

If you actually wore the leather neck collar you might be Old Corps.
    If you served before 'The Halls of Montezuma" was added to the list you might be Old Corps.
    If you had a cover with a quatrefoil on it that served a function other than decoration you might be Old Corps.
    If you used a sword in combat you are Old Corps I don't care if it was yesterday.

So, are those of us that were Nam Marines back in the 60's old or new Corps?

Credits
    Savings
    Old, we still had a lot of mustang officers and nco's that didn't believe that the book was always right and you didn't have to be lilly white, pure of heart and fully educated to enlist or reenlist

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    Old, we still had a lot of mustang officers and nco's that didn't believe that the book was always right and you didn't have to be lilly white, pure of heart and fully educated to enlist or reenlist
    You've got that right Tony. Now, that's the Marine Corps I was in.

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    So, are those of us that were Nam Marines back in the 60's old or new Corps?
    Look in the mirror , and then decide as that guy I see maybe think he's still young inside , but the weather has taken it's toll on the outside !

We were young Marines in Nam !

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Compared to 2011 Marines, Russ, 1960s guys like you and me and HST and others, Mongoose---we're all Old Corps.

But when we were in, we were boots, pure and simple-----we did not become Old Corps til 20 or 30 or 40 years went by........

When you and I were in, the guys with the real low serial numbers, 19xxxxx, etc, were the Old Corps, the Gunny's and MSgts who were already there when we went in.

So it's all relative------Maybe there is an Old and New Corps, but to most of us it is just as simple as a lot on here have said.

When you went in, you were a boot.
    When you got out, and years went by, of course you had been in the Old Corps.

It's all according to how many years roll by between eras, is all
    Dave, your talking about a mind-set. Your always a boot to the ones before you. And always those after you, are a boot. But what Tony , Russ, and I are talking about, is a definite change in training, attitude, and priorities. Including the pay.

Credits
    Savings
    Old Corps: Fox 2/27 We were at Pulgas, living in quansets, no indoor plumbing, 3 of of us were walking to the showers buck azzed naked except for shower shoes. the gunny walks out to the office door and yells at us to get covers on our heads. We asked him which heads. He started laughing and told us to get the f*ck to the showers and the next time get a cover for both heads The CO was just inside laughing just as hard. Today someone would want to court marshall us, the gunny and the CO.

Haha, that definitely wouldn't fly in Pulgas anymore. That's hilarious though.

In the old corps, DIs carried swagger sticks and would beat you to half dead. In the new corps, they kissed your butt to finish boot.

Somewhere in between is the dividing line.

In the old corps, they kicked your azz if you didnt score well at the range, in the new corps, they send you to school.

In the old corps , you respected your next and upward rank, in the new corps, that holds no water.

In the old corps we always had the ten percenters, in the new corps they still have the ten percenters.

Thread Information