KA-BAR Question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KA-BAR Question

KA-BAR Question

I have a couple of questions that hopefully spawn some great conversations and colorful views. Do you still have a KA-BAR? If you do what do you use it for; i.e. hunting, fishing, home defense, shadow box, etc? Recently I’ve had a strong urge to have one. Not wear it; just have it in the house. I can’t figure out how to justify it to my wife. We are a very utilitarian family; so the blades and weapons we have are mostly from hunting and self/home defense.
    Semper Fi!

I have two in my house. One was given to me as a gift from some of my Marines years ago after we returned from Afghanistan. Simple jesture on their part for saying thank you since they were all heading out the door to become fine upstanding citizens. The other I bought roughly 20+ yrs ago and used for my entire time in the Corps. They used to tell us that we couldn't sharpen the issued K-Bars so I simply refused to sign for one from the armory and carried my own. Kept that girl sharp as a razor all the time.

Just tell her you're a Marine and you want your K-BAR.

Oh she knows; she was a corpsman when we got married. She also knows I'm probably going to get it...actually I believe she's just watching and waiting. It won't cause any fuss and will be welcomed in our household. I was just wondering what folks actually used them for in the civilian world? I can tell you that the K-Bar would definitely accompany us on all camping trips and would be kept in a safe yet tactical location at home.

I have two K bars, one I carried in Vietnam and one given to me in a shadow box. Fortunately I never had to use the one in Vietnam on anyone but was great for opening cans and cutting things when necessary.

Every Marine should have one, I keep mine in my nightstand along with a 1911 45 ACP, Semper Fidelis.

KA-Bar... ok...

I have a couple of K-Bars that I picked up while I was running around, but I found that I prefer coldsteel brand knives. Better metals, that hold an edge for longer and can actually get a sharper edge. Try the Cold Steel SRK if you're feeling experimental.

Credits
    Savings
    Mine goes on all our camping/hiking trips. When I was driving long haul it rode in the truck with me.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have the K-Bar my father carried in WWII. It is not used by me except to display it to my kids. I lost the K-Bar I carried in Vietnam while out in the field with it after I got back. Never replaced it.

i hace a commerative arlington ridge k-bar being the dummy that i am i use it on camping trips and what not keep it sharp as hell

I still have mine, it's still attached to my 782 gear ( duty belt, suspenders, butt pack, canteens, two magazine pouches / w 6 fully loaded magazines of 5.56 mm hard ball )

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal M View Post
    I have a couple of K-Bars that I picked up while I was running around, but I found that I prefer coldsteel brand knives. Better metals, that hold an edge for longer and can actually get a sharper edge. Try the Cold Steel SRK if you're feeling experimental.
    I absolutely agree! I was actually looking to get the San Mai III® Gurkha Kukri. There is just something about the weight and feel of a K-Bar that I can't put into words. Plus, as Marines, we own it. I mean there is nothing more terrifying than a Marine, with no fear in their eyes, holding the one tool that they were teethed on. Plus I think it would be immensely funny to "just so happen" to be sharpening it when my little girl brings home her first boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhd97 View Post
    Mine goes on all our camping/hiking trips. When I was driving long haul it rode in the truck with me.
    This is exactly how I am. There is always a blade with me on long road trips and camping. Perhaps now more on camping trips; but that's because it's a necessity. I used to like to keep my fixed blade attached to the left side of the driver's side seat. That way if I picked up someone who is questionable, needed a lift to the next exit etc, it was in easy reach.

I have 2 originals and a few knock offs

I have my kabar I carried in the field in the 80's.Then recieved one just this year in a raffle at the Marine Corps Ball.It is a 100th anniversary one.I just recieved a Sportsmansguide catalog and it had a Mossberg version for $24.95 well I had to have one and they are nice enough to use or display but not so expensive as to be afraid to use.I didn't realize that my original which I still had the box for, was $20 at the PX when I bought it.Alot of money for a fresh new PFC but now I wish I had the foresight to buy a dozen at that price .The mossbergs have a nice leather sheath imprinted with the Eagle ,Globe and Anchor but not as deeply imprinted as my true Kabars.You also can't carry them upside down on your 782 because the snap and leather ring which hold the handle are a little big and it would fall out .Good luck and Semper Fi

I sharpened mine up and it's the one I carried in the Gulf. It sits on a shelf decorated with a clear cubicle box containing my fighting scorpion I snuck back in a foil pack from an MRE with baby powder mixture. My step father is into taxidermy and he made it for me. My picture sits next to the knife as well of me and my buddies like a little desert motif. The knife was sharpened so if someone crashes through the front door to hurt my family I can bury it in their eye socket. As for knives in general they are part of my every day wear and I generally have two, both capable of one hand opening on the right front pocket and left front pocket should someone try and take my gun in a ground struggle. I also carry a Ontario Spec Ops eight inch combat knife in my Police bag inside my police unit and have another kbar hanging off a hidden area in my pick up truck. Marines are and should be an edged weapon culture.

Thread Information