bout to join the DEP
Create Post

bout to join the DEP

Hey hey gentleman I am 26 bout to hit the 27 this year thinking my life needs a change. Ive been speaking with my recruiter and ive taken the AQFT I got a 54 ot 56 ive been out of the schooling game for a bit but apparently that isnt too bad of a score.

Is there anything I should brush up on for the ASVAB's as i should be taking them next week?

Also I am in pretty decent shape i work out and do kickboxing in my free time is there anything else i should prepare myself for before I head to boot?

Lastly im thinking of trying to get an Intel MOS are they tough to get? any intel Marines have any thing to add what i should think about how i would best achieve my goal?

sorry to ask so many questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: I did see the sticky above my post about the intel position, but that seems to be more about the daily life and such. Im just asking how i would best go about acheiving the goal of attaining that MOS

Congratulations on your decision. I would study some of the practice tests available at military dot com and I think that is the only way I can post that without it getting blanked out. There are also books available that are specially written as practice for the ASVAB. The higher your scores, the more jobs available to you.

Look at the Poolees threads and you will see what they post for their scores in pft like tests. Do the test and make damn sure you can blow them out of the water without killing yourself. You want to do your best in everything you do. Most people as they get further away from the 18 yo age...find the running aspect to be the hardest. If you have no issues with the situps and pull ups...focus on the running. Stamina is VERY important.

Intel...sorry will have to let someone else answer that one.

Good luck and let us know how things are going.

I just went through boot camp this past sep.-nov. Be prepared to be a target of your DI's. Me and four other old farts were loved by our kill hat because he was younger than us. Also be prepared to be treated like a little kid for the next year. The kids right out of high school will get your platoon in trouble in boot, mct, and your MOS school. They don't know how to act with out mommy and daddy around. Oh and you say your in pretty good shape, be prepared to be in terrible shape after mct. One full month of no pt and pretty much standing around doing nothing for hours on end with nothing but MRE's to eat, that'll reverse what boot camp does to you for sure. At MOS school you'll be able to go to the gym and pt on your own and get back in shape, that's what I'm in the process of right now. I had a 288 PFT cause I ran the 3 mile in 20 minutes, if I did a PFT right now it would not be good... But good luck and don't let the DI's get to you, it's all a mind game.

Congratulations on your decision and good luck. As for the ASVAB don't know how much you can brush up on in only a week but GOOGLE ASVAB study guides. There are free practice tests out there but you'll have to find them. Your recruiter can also give you a mock test (my niece just took one). There is also an "ASVAB for Dummies" book you can buy.

As for MOS preference; that all depends on your ASVAB score and the needs of the USMC when you ship to bootcamp. You get 3 choices or you can go open-contract. Sometimes, if you're in a hurry to ship, they'll come back and say you can ship right away if you'll agree to change your MOS to whatever it is they need at that time.

Once you join your DEP, you'll be PT'ing with the other poolees and get an idea of what kind of shape you're in compared to the young pups. I agree about the running; for some reason, the USMC is real big on it so start now.

Don't be concerned about your age in bootcamp. Use it to your advantage. The age limit is 29 so there may even be somebody there older than you.

Come back and let us know how you do.

Thank you gentlemen, I was a bit shaky about my decision. Im looking for something non combative at the moment not looking to be on a 2 way firing range yet. But I am getting quite excited about the oppertunity.

Im looking to annhilate boot and MOS training.

If you men can please help me with one last question i just thought of i was told that being an older individual id possibly be able to advance a bit quicker than the younger men is this true..?

Im just doing all the investigation i can to make sure i am not being had for a fool. I mean no disrespect to those of you in the Corps just making sure i cover my six.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Thank you gentlemen, I was a bit shaky about my decision. Im looking for something non combative at the moment not looking to be on a 2 way firing range yet. But I am getting quite excited about the oppertunity.

Im looking to annhilate boot and MOS training.

If you men can please help me with one last question i just thought of i was told that being an older individual id possibly be able to advance a bit quicker than the younger men is this true..?

Im just doing all the investigation i can to make sure i am not being had for a fool. I mean no disrespect to those of you in the Corps just making sure i cover my six.
    Absolutly not. Being good at what you do gets you advanced, not being old at what you do.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcmsf View Post
    Absolutly not. Being good at what you do gets you advanced, not being old at what you do.
    lol....very true but being older and having your NCO's and CoC know it can help quite a bit. As long as you act your age they will put you in leadership billets/roles right away to see how you handle it. I (being 26yr old LCpl.) have been put up for meritorious promotion twice now based on what I just explained. Only reason I didn't get promoted each time was the other Marine had more TIG and had a deployment under their belt (or so I was told anyway).

Thread Information