Fayettville Mayor to show Fonda film...in honor of 'Vietnam Veterans'. No sheet. - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Dave,
    The short reply by me is: Yes, it is good to find and communicate with some that seem to understand me on here and yes, I know from bitter experience that the internet is the last place to find that which I seek but no, I still refuse to be played as a fool or not worthy of the honor for my fallen brothers that I possess. Jane Fonda dishonored their sacrifice and now their memory. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
    Semper Fi, Scott

Great thread!

I support ALL our rights to say what we think and even feeeel. It's what we either served for, or fought for. HST has always been reliably 'left' of center, at least on here, to a certain extent. And, that's fine. We (the royal 'we') need those folks on here, because otherwise, this just becomes an echo chamber. Political discourse has always, at least in America, been a 'take no prisoners' bloodsport. Those who know their history well know that Washington himself, as well as Jefferson, Adams, Lincoln, etc etc were villified by the "other" side.

That doesn't mean I agree with just about ANYthing most liberals/lefts/progs have to say, I personally think they are just fundamentally wrong about so very much, for whatever reason(s). Still, I do believe they should continue to speak. Besides, arguing with them is fun most of the time.

The interesting thing to me is when many of them start losing the point...it turns personal. Now, I've been guilty of this myself at times, and have regretted typing some things..but it is what it is. Sometimes, I think 'we' (Americans) have gotten far too 'touchy feely' and TOO worried about feeeelings and such, at times. It's everyones right in this country to be offended at every single little thing, and in the last 20 years or so, that 'right' seems to have been taken to the 'nth' degree. Of course, it's darned easy to be a badazz on the internet without fear of getting a little pop in the beater..but still.

Anyway, lecture over

I don't see it as 'harmless' by any means...but I *try* not to take it TOO personal....

*Try*.

Marines being disrespectful to MARINES shows me that these (disrespectful) Marines did not recieve the training that we MARINES did! A TRUE MARINE knows to be respectful to others; especially another MARINE. How can one trust a disrespectful Marine? For if he is disrespectful here, what keeps him from becoming disobedient. Oh well, one that is disobedient isn't a TRUE MARINE.

Vietvet1968@comcast.net

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vietvet1968 View Post
    Marines being disrespectful to MARINES shows me that these (disrespectful) Marines did not recieve the training that we MARINES did! A TRUE MARINE knows to be respectful to others; especially another MARINE. How can one trust a disrespectful Marine? For if he is disrespectful here, what keeps him from becoming disobedient. Oh well, one that is disobedient isn't a TRUE MARINE.

Vietvet1968@comcast.net
    I have to step in here! Disrespect has little to do with training. Its more of a mind set. I disagree with HST on several issues. But that is were it ends. The man is a true Marine by any definition. I would trust him to cover my back any day. We are no longer active duty, so being disobedient is way out of context here. HST is a combat Marine that went through hell in V.N. Just like some of the rest of us. For that he has my respect. What he says on this forum has nothing to do with his service to his Country. Least of all we forget that little detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I have to step in here! Disrespect has little to do with training. Its more of a mind set. I disagree with HST on several issues. But that is were it ends. The man is a true Marine by any definition. I would trust him to cover my back any day. We are no longer active duty, so being disobedient is way out of context here. HST is a combat Marine that went through hell in V.N. Just like some of the rest of us. For that he has my respect. What he says on this forum has nothing to do with his service to his Country. Least of all we forget that little detail.
    I agree with you Billy. As a Marine I will stand up for HST as well, he has proven himself there. Whether he and I agree politically or on any other issue has nothing to do with his being a Marine as well.

Back in the day many Marines did not agree on many things, I've even seen some get into fights over there disagreements. But when the **** hit the fan they stood together, united by our Corps. Sometimes to the death.

A state trooper stopped me once for a traffic violation. Since I did not have the $10 (payoff) he wanted he locked me up. It was a Marine that I had been in a big argument with just days before that bailed me out. Later, he came into my unit in the Nam. I thanked him for bailing me out way back then (we never talked to each other after the argument) and he apologized for his part in the disagreement. We became best friends.

I believe that Marines have strong values and sometimes individual beliefs do become conflicted. Back in the non pc world we used to conflict with each other all the time. I believe even heated interaction can be useful at times. Sometimes in the heat of the moment, many of us (including me) have the tendency to go overboard.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Russ, its called loyalty. You and I may have one hell of a fist fight today. But tomorrow if an outsider jumps on you. He will have to whoop my azz too. Thats why we call each other brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Russ, its called loyalty. You and I may have one hell of a fist fight today. But tomorrow if an outsider jumps on you. He will have to whoop my azz too. Thats why we call each other brothers.
    You've got that bro, I know you know how to stand to - Stand hard, stand firm. S/F

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    It's not about disagreeing or agreeing, or fighting or even disrespect.
    It's the insulting words, the verbal attacks. If you folks thing THAT is okay because it comes from or to a combat veteran, I must respectfully disagree.
    We are not talking about differing points of view, we're talking about insulting and verbally attacking fellow Marines.
    advanced, when someone attacks you, I know you don't go for it at all, and if it was okay to do that, you would just accept it, but you don't, and Billy doesn't put up with that nonsense either.
    So we would like to think it is okay to insult one another, not tease or joke or bust balls, but insult, but actually, it is not okay, and none of us ever feels it is okay when it happens, no matter what we say now. When it happens to us, and it does, then we react to it in a very strong manner. If it was okay for them to attack like that, then why is it that none of us just laugh it off when it happens?
    Being a combat veteran does not confer the right to attack fellow Marines----not talking about disagreements, not talking about verbal banter, not talking even about respect as such, we are talking about one thing, insulting other Marines, not kidding around, but in a serious way.
    It's not okay.
    Dave, my post wasnt at all about respect or insults shone on this forum. It was about one Marine saying another Marine is not a true Marine. If one feels a need to be disrespectful or insulting. Then he is showing bad judgment on his part. That doesnt make him any less a Marine.

Mongoose,the reply you made concerning my post on disrespect is appreciated.Apparently it's contents was misunderstood/worded wrong.I do deeply and seriously apologize.More thought will be given to future post before doing so.
    No disrespect was meant to anyone posting here.I'd never attempt to take away from any Military Personnel what they have done in service for their Country.They all(esp. MARINES)have my utmost admiration.
    It's felt I could cont on any MARINE to always cover my back.
    HST,I feel,for whatever reason you're due a Personal Apology from me:If you've seen anything in the afore mentioned post that you feel is directed toward you in a negative way(it's not meant to be);I sincerely & personally apologize to you.

LET ME EXPRESS THE INTENSE ADMIRATION,WHICH I SHARE WITH ALL OTHER AMERICANS,OF THE RECORD MADE BY THE MARINES.
    Theodore Roosevelt 17 Oct. 1918

Vietvet1968@comcast.net

Credits
    Savings
    Hey guy's I don't get insulted or mean to insult by any of this stuff. I guess it's all in how you define humor.

I remember everyone was a MFer, we used to talk about who was going to get who's boots and gear if he got hit, who was screwing who's wife, sister ect. We had a joke about the western union guy and the hillbilly family that demanded a singing telegram...da.da da, your son is dead.

I think that a lot of people today that things way to seriously that's why we have so much hate in the world but that's just my opinion.

Anyway thanks for the nice things that were said about me and you can all kiss the southbound side of a northbound skunk...that's a joke by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    I remember everyone was a MFer, we used to talk about who was going to get who's boots and gear if he got hit, who was screwing who's wife, sister ect. We had a joke about the western union guy and the hillbilly family that demanded a singing telegram...da.da da, your son is dead.
    I told some friends about the singing telegram joke just last week, none of them had ever heard it. For some reason they didn't think it was as funny as I did, I said "I guess you had to have been there." ahhhh..... the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Let me just throw something in here. I take this stuff way too seriously sometimes. When it comes to the insults. Not the other stuff, just the insults that are not in jest..... I don't know what it is. Maybe it's my issue.
    Maybe everything's as it should be and insults don't matter.
    Whatever.....Maybe it's just me.
    Dave as you said when someone attacks me I hit back, but not with full force. As a cop I learned to use just enough force to control the encounter, rather than the devastating force I learned in the MC.

On this thread the problem I had with HST was much the same as you have had, his disrespecting other Marines. When I brought it up to him he began to direct his fire at me. Yes, it got a little heated but within my choices of action there was never a choice to attack him with force. I have also learned to let things go in life, especially when HST chose to apologize to me;

"HST -Yep you got it all right there dude, you won, you're a hero and a genius. I'm ignorant and F*cked up. I'm real proud to have a warrior like you protecting me against the enemies of our Country just like you did in Vietnam. I'll sleep well tonight Knowing that you're out there. Have a great day, I'm sure Chesty is proud of you."

Dosen't sound like an apology, sounds like sarcasm, but with someone like HST I heard him say let's put the mantle down. Since I choose to avoid confrontations I was agreeable to that idea.

We are all on the same page, I also wish we could simply debate and or offer logical persuasion to advance our causes - But, let's face it, we're all Marines here and that's not always the way we do things. If you will recall many of us were "Born Again Hard" which doesn't always lend itself to polite dialog. S/F

8 pages long.....geeez Fonda sure can stir us up!

Credits
    Savings
    Hey Russ, remember when someone would say F*ck you, you'd say you do MFer and you'll divorce your wife and your fruit buddies, now its a federal crime and the ACLU is knocking on your door. Let me throw this out, we've become to self centered, in our day you really sh*t showered and shaved together, Marines were Marines, we lived together not in litle rooms, in squadbays, there were no partitions in the ****ters in the world, you'd **** and fart and talk to the Marine sitting next to you, we lived together and we died together, we shared our dreams and our heartbreaks and we didn't get insulted. We were Marines

Thread Information