Bad Grades in High School , Will it stop me from being an officer.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad Grades in High School , Will it stop me from being an officer.

Let me just start out by saying , I never failed any class in High School... but D's and C's are common on my Report card.... I have 1.9 GPA no necessarily because I'm dumb but because I have done many mistake over my High school year.... I'm near graduation and I'm precupied this will hold me back .

My question is , will that stop me from perusing a Marine Officer Career?

No. But it might stop you from "pursuing" a college degree which is the ultimate step you should be focused on right now. No one gives a **** what you did in high school, as long as it isn't illegal.

Frankly, and I know you don't want to hear this, if you can't get a high enough GPA to play high school sports you don't have the mental aptitude or the focus, drive, and determination it takes to become a leader of Marines.

Take it and run with it. Get shut down and quit or improve. Those are your choices.

Thanks for your honesty Aloha , Knew someone say this basically I kind of gave up when I moved to the USA in 7th grade and spoke No English at all and it kind of stuck to me to not care anymore about school.

But whenever I really want to get a High grade in the class , believe me I do.

I was going to flame the heck out of you, until you said that English was your second language. That made me decide to cut you some slack.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    No one should be flaming anyone for any reason, that's our problem nowadays, one of em, we like to criticize too much.
    Rethink this desire to be flaming anyone, for the good of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaMarine View Post
    No. But it might stop you from "pursuing" a college degree which is the ultimate step you should be focused on right now. No one gives a **** what you did in high school, as long as it isn't illegal.
    That pretty much nails it. You cannot become an Officer of Marines without a college degree. Even then, there's a lot more to it than just a degree - officer programs such as NROTC, PLC, OCC -- all are very competitive nowadays, and are only going to get more competitive as the Corps downsizes a bit over the next 4 or 5 years.

If your goal is to become an officer, your first step is to get admitted to a college. With the GPA you stated, you probably will need to start with a community college - no shame in that - you just need to start to prove yourself by getting your grades up.

Credits
    Savings
    Son, and I use that term respectively. If you are Senior in High School I'm old enough to be your GrandFather. I'm 65 and probably don't have any business in this Forum except I like to hear what the younger generation is thinking every now and then. I want to tell you something I learned at PI in 1965. Three of the most important things to have in Life are: Self, Self and Self. That's Self Respect, Self Discipline and Self Control. If you can't Respect Yourself, How do you expect others to respect You? No one can Discipline you if you can't Discipline yourself and most important is that a man that has Control of himself has the opprotunity to Control the situation in which he finds himself. A man who cannot Control himself is of NO benifit to himself nor to The Corps He serves. My best advice is to get a hold of YOURSELF and decide what you want out of life. Being a Marine will require sacrifices and if you aren't willing to make them for the betterment of yourself and My Corps. Then just keep on the track your heading down and forget about ever becoming one of My Brothers..... For your sake I Hope and Pray you starghten things out. Sincerly, Foxman

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Even an ordinary man can be out standing in his own field.

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    Son, and I use that term respectively. If you are Senior in High School I'm old enough to be your GrandFather. I'm 65 and probably don't have any business in this Forum except I like to hear what the younger generation is thinking every now and then. I want to tell you something I learned at PI in 1965. Three of the most important things to have in Life are: Self, Self and Self. That's Self Respect, Self Discipline and Self Control. If you can't Respect Yourself, How do you expect others to respect You? No one can Discipline you if you can't Discipline yourself and most important is that a man that has Control of himself has the opprotunity to Control the situation in which he finds himself. A man who cannot Control himself is of NO benifit to himself nor to The Corps He serves. My best advice is to get a hold of YOURSELF and decide what you want out of life. Being a Marine will require sacrifices and if you aren't willing to make them for the betterment of yourself and My Corps. Then just keep on the track your heading down and forget about ever becoming one of My Brothers..... For your sake I Hope and Pray you starghten things out. Sincerly, Foxman
    That was beautiful - thanks. I hope you don't mind if I use that.

Thank you all for the wise words , Would it be easier to do 4 years Enlisted and then use my GI Bill to go to College .... I'm 17 now would I make it in time if I signed up in 2012?

Rich, I am more interested in seeing what grades you bring back from Community College as you pursue your associates degree there before being accepted to a larger college.

Prove to yourself that you can get good grades accross the board first. At the two year mark, it would be a waste not to finish college, but I would think you would be better prepared for the Corps by then, than now.

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    Rich, I am more interested in seeing what grades you bring back from Community College as you pursue your associates degree there before being accepted to a larger college.

Prove to yourself that you can get good grades accross the board first. At the two year mark, it would be a waste not to finish college, but I would think you would be better prepared for the Corps by then, than now.
    thanks for your reply , Wouldn't a degree from a community college be enough To apply for Officer ?

You have to have a Bachelors Degree for that. As long as the college is accredited and you have outstanding grades, you should be in the running.

Credits
    Savings
    As for being easier, I don't know but it sure sounds like a better choice to enlist and then use your GI Bill. Besides while your serving you can take College Courses and get a head start on your Degree. If Memory serves me correctly Lt. Gen. Lewis Puller "Chesty" was an Enlisted Man prior to becoming an Officer. Not a Bad Model to copy. Just remember that of all the people in The World, YOU have the best shot at Controlling you future. You sound like a pretty level headed young man but even smart people can make dumb decisions if they don't discipline themselves and make smart choices. Good Luck Son.

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    If Memory serves me correctly Lt. Gen. Lewis Puller "Chesty" was an Enlisted Man prior to becoming an Officer. Not a Bad Model to copy.
    Gen Al Gray, 29th Commandant of the Marine Corps, was also enlisted prior to becoming an Officer.

Thread Information