• My Total Knee at the VA is Questionable

0 0%
  • I wish I had gotten my Total Knee somewhere else

0 0%
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Knee Poll

Total Knee Poll

I was retired from the Corps 14 years ago because of an incident that involved having my knee crushed. I've got a couple rugg rats now who are always wanting to go out and play; but have to wait for me to have a "good day." SO I've got a question for those of you who have had a Total Knee done at the VA. Was it successful? Good, bad, PITA, etc. Let me know any and all advise or suggestions. Opinion are always welcome.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    a good post...am waiting to read what is said...VA has been on standby to replace both my knees for bout 12 years...told me that my horse back ridding days would be over..and no breaking colts....so have put it off....dont get around real good these days but still break colts and ride

Credits
    Savings
    If you've got alternate insurance and really need it done go to a real doctor and a real hospital and get it done right. The VA is a bunch of worthless uncaring butchers.

Take their money, maybe get a lu shot there but don't ever let them operate on you, unless you want to wake up on the wrong side of the grass. I used to think that the only thing they could do right was to bury us but the events at Arlington proved that they can't even do that right.,

My knee got busted up bad in 03, a real doctor tried to put it back together. It didn't work. They wanted to do a replacement. I told them only God can make a knee. I lost a bunch of weight, got on a strengthening program, work it every single day, swim hard every day to keep loose and so far, I'm doing OK, some pain sometime but no plastic parts. Your muscles support your frame, if you take care of them, they take care of you.

All depends on which VA hospital you go to. Every hospital is different as are the doctors.

Credits
    Savings
    But how do you know. Civilian hospitals are graded. The VA covers buries their mistakes, covers up the crimes and intimidates the witnesses. My brother,a Chosin vet, was killed at cochran, the VA inspector general's investigators accused the witnesses of being trouble makers. End of investigation! My wifes uncle, a WWII, POW and Chosin vet had the same thing at Long Beach.

If you are having a problem with the VA hospital, there is nothing that says you must use them for an operation. You have a choice brother, go to a graded civilian hospital.

Credits
    Savings
    I do as I did in my response to this vet and I advise every other vet to do the same and to make his or her elected officials of any problems they have with the VA.

If we all do that and demand a fix, the problem will be fixed. The fix is to shut them down and issue every vet a card that allows them to go to the doctor/hospital of their choice for care that is covered under their respective classification.

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    I do as I did in my response to this vet and I advise every other vet to do the same and to make his or her elected officials of any problems they have with the VA.

If we all do that and demand a fix, the problem will be fixed. The fix is to shut them down and issue every vet a card that allows them to go to the doctor/hospital of their choice for care that is covered under their respective classification.
    Since you are so against the VA hospital system, it would be interesting to know how you feel about military hospitals.

The Philadelphia VA Hospital did a great job on my knee. I havent had any problems since the surgery in 95.

I also work in the VA regional Office in Philadelphia (Im in the Pension side, not the hospital side) so PM me if you need help through any of the paperwork process. Ill try to help you any way I can.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Since you are so against the VA hospital system, it would be interesting to know how you feel about military hospitals.
    About the same. Maybe you don't remember the pic's of Walter Reed that were sent to the press a few years ago. Thats the kind of place that the snuffs and their families get sent to when they get hurt. Officers and snco's have a lot different conditions. They did on the Repose and on every base that I've ever been to. The only place where they didn't was on my LZ, there the guys who were hit the worst got out first regardless of rank or the bullsh*t orders that some of them gave me to get them out before lower classes of the Corps.

Thanks for all the replies and opinions!! Thank you spotts; but I'm in like flinn. I have been to the VA in San Diego, Sheridan WY, Seattle WA, Anchorage AK, El Paso TX all of them seem fine on the surface. Though I really can't stand that breed of worker that "knows they can't be fired." I also have TriCare Prime for the family. I still go to the VA for regular stuff; but shy away from any type of real surgery. I really like and completely agree with HST on that the government should close up shop on the VA and issue all those who warrant care separate MED cards to be seen out in town. On the other hand I believe the care may actually be worse because we'd always be put in the back of the line; ever tried to be seen by a regular doc with only Tri Care standard?!

Thank you all and keep the replies coming!!

SF!!

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    About the same. Maybe you don't remember the pic's of Walter Reed that were sent to the press a few years ago. Thats the kind of place that the snuffs and their families get sent to when they get hurt. Officers and snco's have a lot different conditions. They did on the Repose and on every base that I've ever been to. The only place where they didn't was on my LZ, there the guys who were hit the worst got out first regardless of rank or the bullsh*t orders that some of them gave me to get them out before lower classes of the Corps.
    Again, depends on the hospital. I would take a military hospital over a disorganized civilian hospital any day and twice on Sunday. Most civilian hospitals remind me of a Chinese Fire Drill.

I would also take the Reno, Nevada VA Hospital over most civilian hospitals.

Credits
    Savings
    Maybe I ought to visit Reno. I've driven through a few times and I did some cold weather training at Fallon. I've heard that the VA is a lot better in some areas but they arn't worth a sh*t in the major city's and I think you might know why.

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    a good post...am waiting to read what is said...VA has been on standby to replace both my knees for bout 12 years...told me that my horse back ridding days would be over..and no breaking colts....so have put it off....dont get around real good these days but still break colts and ride
    I was freight-trained and stomped in 95 while shoeing an ill mannered nag after dark, packed my lame ass down to the VA hospital in Portland. Admittance asked if i ever received VA treatment in the past? No, never. She grilled persistently as if i just had to be lying, and coarse treatment proceeded with two surly MD's.
    The visit was extended two hours upon completion of medical treatment by a pharmacist who slacked around the cafeteria waiting on his FAX machine to get back online so he could receive 1 prescription for something similar to Tylenol 3, from the ER FAX machine a few paces down the hall.
    Hot and ready to pole-axe the MF'er, but they had my stats and i couldn't gait fast enough to scape security.
    Happy enough afterward to have received a diagnosis and temporary pain relief without charge, because i was living in a pickup cab and took it for what it's worth. But it's impossible to recommend VA customer service and treatment straight up against Providence or Kaiser, the only other outfits dealt with

Thread Information