Need advice to drop weight so I can enlist
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice to drop weight so I can enlist

Hello all:
    I am a 19 year old female college student from MA. It has been my goal to make the journey to Parris Island, SC to earn the title. However, there are some road blocks, the main one being my weight. I am roughly 5'3" and weigh 175lbs. I am aware that I am over the limit and would just like some advice on how to drop this weight so I can get started with achieving my goal. Any exercise/diet plans you suggest would be much appreciated. Please keep in mind that I do not consume soda, alcohol, or drugs of any kind (unlike most of my family). I am doing this because I want to serve my country. I was an athlete all of my life and just stopped when my parents divorced and essentially lost custody of my sister and I.
    Again any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    MotoinMA

I myself would watch what I eat, drink alot of water go on long walks and then get yourself into alot of running, join a gym, Semper Fidelis.

You need to profile up also, Semper Fidelis.

Drop 200 cals from your daily intake and add 200 cals in exercise per day to start. No cola products in fact no drink product that lists anything similar to high fructose corn syrup. Drop every food item that has unbleached white flour in it. Whole grain breads are good for you but don't over do these. Drink lots of water, NOT diet cola. Stay away from all diet colas. Add into the diet, tree nuts such as raw almonds and pacans, oatmeal, natural raw fruits and vegetables if not already in your diet. Red meat to a minimum and chicken and pork in small amounts. No fast foods - period.

Just my quick 2 cents.

Mistybluelady
    Guest Free Member
    eat 5 or 6 small meals a day... watch your portions... eat clean.... look into a casein powder to take before bed.. its a slow release protein that will keep your sugar spikes in check thru the night. if your walking do sprint intervals

Burn more calories than you consume. It's really that simple. Google works wonders.

You probably already know how to lose weight. It's just a matter of having the discipline to lose it.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Casedizzy2821 View Post
    Burn more calories than you consume. It's really that simple. Google works wonders.

You probably already know how to lose weight. It's just a matter of having the discipline to lose it.
    That's the key. Burn more than you consume. You're 19, you are 5:3 and you weigh 175 lbs. Aside from the family dynamic, how did that happen?

You know what to do. Seeking fitness or dietary help here probably isn't your best bet. Not many are qualified

But you say you want to serve. Well you should be commended for that. Have you talked with a recruiter? That should be your first priority. Don't feel embarrassed about your weight when you do, recruiters have seen it all

I sincerely wish you well

Get into the habit of doing some core training on Mon, Wed and Fri. Start small. Do 4 or 5 different things, i.e. pushups, crunches, left side bends, right side bends and leg lifts. Do 3 sets of ten...if you can't then do 2 sets or one. Just get in the habit of M,W,F. This will get your body used to the routine and it will know it's work out day. When you start getting used to this, move it up a notch every couple of weeks or so. In a month or two through in some weights. Do this faithfully.

Next as was mentioned earlier start walking. Be ridiculous about it. I mean when you go to the store, mall, school, etc., park in the last stall furthest away from the entrance. Walk to the mailbox, if it's far; but walk every day. Walking is our number one exercise as humans and the most effective at cutting weight; but you have to be vigilant.

Running is your next step and may become an addiction; if it does then let it. Let you mind wonder while you are out. If you come to the end of your route ask yourself if you can go just a half a mile more. Also it doesn't matter what you look like when you run if you run funny or your feet flop; running has a childlike sense of freedom that your body will come to crave.

About eating. DO NOT go on a diet; instead change your diet to be more healthy, with smaller portions. Go out and buy new plates, I like the cheap white ones (8.5 inches); but anything that is smaller than the standard plate. This will fool you eyes into thinking you have a lot on your plate.

You stated you don't drink soda, good; but if you slip DO NOT drink diet soda. There is a chemical in diet soda that fools the stomach into thinking that it is empty, this is why we are able to consume entire king size meals, or half a pizza, etc.

It was also said earlier, calories are key, less cals in is best, but don't overdo it. If you are hungry you'll be less inclined to exorcise. Change to Splenda if you need sugar in your coffee or tea. It does take some getting used to; but it will be worth it. When you get hungry before you exercise try a cup of black coffee. It will settle you stomach and will give you a slight boost to get you going. If you need cream and sugar/Splenda then put it in. Do not be afraid to sip water if you get thirsty while exercising. Also drink a lot of water throughout the day; everyday. Drink a full glass of water three times a day if you can.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

SF!!

People in general consume to much liquid. Food can't digest. Between coffee, juice, and even water its to much. you have to cut something out. This is one reason and only one why people can't lose weight.

I think you should enroll in a Palates-Course-This would not only help shape your body-but would make it strong and ready for Boot Camp.I have known some over weight people that swear by Palates.The Weight will melt off you and you wouldn't have to deprive yourself of food.Everything Everyone else said is excellent also.Good Luck....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Get a very physically demanding job. Drink lots of water. Don't eat yellow snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Get a very physically demanding job. Drink lots of water. Don't eat yellow snow.
    .........That's right-Don't eat the yellow snow-Nanuck of the North-TRUGGEN ACROSS THE TUNDRA-where you go-to St Alfonzos-PAN-CAKE-BREAKFEST..........WHERE I STOLE THE MARGARINE...FZ

Sex burns calories.

When I joined the Corps., I only weighed 108lbs, I was 5'3" tall. They weighed me once a week, with all the excercise and drilling I went thru, I left Parris Island weighing 113lbs. Once the Marine Corps gets their hands on you, they'll watch everything you eat. How much do you have to lose?
    I now weigh 129 lbs., and I'm a happy camper. Semper Fi

Hi. I too had to drop some pounds before I joined. It will take a lot of working out. I have learned if you really want to do something you can. If you are drinking soda, stop it. Also, any other sugary drinks like hawaiian punch or those bottled teas and lemonades are terrible. Go with water. Read labels. Drop a lot of heavy foods and start eating lighter. SALADS with no dressing. Use vinegar or fat free cottage cheese as dressing. Do not cook foods in bacon grease.
    Also, start talking with a recruiter. If you find a good one, like mine was, they may just dedicate some time to you to help you work out. You are going to need to do lots of cardio and strength training to get the weight off.
    This will not be easy, but it will be worth it.
    Basically, no fast food. Also, your body will need sleep so no all nighters. That will cause you to retain body fat because your brain needs power. If we can do anything else for you, just ask! I know what it is like to not know anything about weight loss. Some people may think you already know, but knowledge is power!

Thread Information