Overweight at MEPs - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Destiny,
    Just keep working out but don't follow any of the foolish weight loss plans. It is important to be in the height/weight specifications but to be healthy and strong as well.

Talk to your recruiter and tell him/her that you are working on getting under the maximum weight requirements and you would rather not weigh in until you are 10 or so pounds under your max weight. Tell him/her that you will do what you need to do to accomplish your goal of becoming a US Marine. Recruiters are human...well most are anyway...and they will work with you if they know you are serious about becoming a Marine.

Good luck to you. Stay in touch as you continue your path to enlistment.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Destiny,
    Just keep working out but don't follow any of the foolish weight loss plans. It is important to be in the height/weight specifications but to be healthy and strong as well.

Talk to your recruiter and tell him/her that you are working on getting under the maximum weight requirements and you would rather not weigh in until you are 10 or so pounds under your max weight. Tell him/her that you will do what you need to do to accomplish your goal of becoming a US Marine. Recruiters are human...well most are anyway...and they will work with you if they know you are serious about becoming a Marine.

Good luck to you. Stay in touch as you continue your path to enlistment.

Thank You Sir. I will definitely keep doing what I have to do and I WILL beccome a Marine. I have spoke with my recruiter and he has seen my motivation and dedication, however has no idea how to get me to lose weight as it is muscle mass. So I will turn to a personal trainer and hope for the best.

Once again thanks to all Marines that have helped me

PM sent.

A couple of thoughts:

1 - stop lifting weights if you haven't already.
    2 - shoot for 3 intense but short cardio workouts per day. 20 to 30 minutes each. Your first workout should be first thing in the morning, prior to breakfast. The goal is to get your metabolism up and running at a fairly high rate throughout the day. Going out and doing a marathon workout session isn't going to do you any good at this point. Getting a workout in before each meal is ideal - but regardless, three solid 20 to 30 minute workouts spread throughout the day is what is going to get it done.
    3 - Big breakfast is okay - make that your protein meal - then focus on eating light throughout the day. Multiple small meals are ideal, with lots of fruits and veggies. Avoid processed food.
    4 - Avoid energy drinks and sodas - Red Bull, sodas, Starbucks - all gotta go. Water, water, water.
    5 - Sleep - lots of folks get this wrong, but the hours of sleep that you get prior to midnight are important because you still need to get up early and get in that first PT session before you do anything else. Staying up late and sleeping in will hurt your effort - hit the rack early and get up early.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    PM sent.

A couple of thoughts:

1 - stop lifting weights if you haven't already.
    2 - shoot for 3 intense but short cardio workouts per day. 20 to 30 minutes each. Your first workout should be first thing in the morning, prior to breakfast. The goal is to get your metabolism up and running at a fairly high rate throughout the day. Going out and doing a marathon workout session isn't going to do you any good at this point. Getting a workout in before each meal is ideal - but regardless, three solid 20 to 30 minute workouts spread throughout the day is what is going to get it done.
    3 - Big breakfast is okay - make that your protein meal - then focus on eating light throughout the day. Multiple small meals are ideal, with lots of fruits and veggies. Avoid processed food.
    4 - Avoid energy drinks and sodas - Red Bull, sodas, Starbucks - all gotta go. Water, water, water.
    5 - Sleep - lots of folks get this wrong, but the hours of sleep that you get prior to midnight are important because you still need to get up early and get in that first PT session before you do anything else. Staying up late and sleeping in will hurt your effort - hit the rack early and get up early.

Good luck.
    Good advice 03mike

So I weighed in at my rs today and was 167 max is 169. So my recruiter wants to send me to MEPs on Wednesday 20100105, I know I'll be 165 by then, but is that enough?
    Should I go or tell my recruiter that I would rather wait until Im farther under my max weight?

I am just worried that four pounds under is not enough, what is your opinion? I dont want to risk my enlistment!

It would be better if you are close to 10 pounds under weight. You should know giving your wrestling background that your weight can shift giving on what ya ate and how much water you drank during the day an the night before.

An since your a female you weight might shift a little give or take how close you are to your cycle.

So there is several things to consider and you know your body the best.

My suggestion is 10 pounds under should be a goal an that would handle any weight gain or loss depending on the above factors.

Yea I understand that however, my recruiter seemed very content on me being 4-5lbs under and he suggested no eating or drinking 24hrs before weighing in. Just as we do for wrestling.

I'll keep working on my weight and see were I am on Monday, and then decide with my recruiter. Because for wrestling I have lost 5-10 lbs for weigh ins but thats all water weight. So I can lose water weight and be at about 160ish.

Opinions?!?!

I would go for 10 pounds under and loos the weight over time.

It would be a bad idea not to eat for 24 hours considering you should have a blood test done at Meps so there is a good chance you would pass out when they take your blood, not to mention the fatgue ect from not eating all day.

I'll talk to my recruiter on Tuesday once we see where I'm at as far as my weight goes. I am just weighing in I had my physical 20101104 and was over, so its just for my weight. But I do agree that I need to be under by ten pounds.

Thanks again

Hello Marines,
    I just wanted to inform you guys that I made weight, and will be having my consult in 2 weeks and then taking my oath of enlistment.

Thank You all so much for helping me and I plan on continuing to lose weight until I ship to boot camp!!!!

From my experiences of working at MEPS over the past year the weight is not entirely an issue to stress out over too much. When you got DQ'd at MEPS they more than likely gave you a "RBJ" date. This is that date that the doctors deemed a safe time frame for you to lose the weight that you need to. Also depending on your weight at MEPS, and how much over the 169 you were, it would have required a Commanding General Waiver no matter your body fat % or BMI.

I would just suggest to do what you need to in order to lose the few pounds that you need to in order to enlist. Once you have enlisted you will be able to relax a little, but not much, because there is a different standard for you to ship to Parris Island.

Best of luck to you.

Hello Marines,
    So I received word today that I will be going back to MEP's 20100120 for my consult. Then will be swearing in on the 1st on February. My recruiter says I will be a quick shipper so I should be shipping to Parris Island by the middle of April if not sooner.

Thank You so much to all of the Marines that helped me.

Current Weight: 162
    F.A.H-86
    Crunches- 87
    1.5 Mi - 11:16

Congrats Destiny - good luck! Be sure to come back to these boards as a Marine once you graduate boot camp.

Thank You so much Sir. I will make sure to do so, I still have a few more steps before its all official, but I'm almost there.

Good luck to you and let us know how your journey goes.

Thread Information