29 Palms
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 29 Palms

29 Palms

Good Morning Marines,
    Not sure if this is the right spot for this topic, but here goes. I just graduated from San Diego. I have Mct in a couple weeks, and after that i'm going to 29 Palms for my school. My mos is 0651 Data Networking. I was told 29 palms is not the best place to be at. What can i expect from my school, and what are the average day like? Does the weather/ Sand really kill your car?

Credits
    Savings
    Ponder the Nickname.......29 STUMPS.

NOW , the good news.
    Some folks have survived the duty station.
    Some have even liked it.
    and Rumor has it , you get a good head start to the gambeling joints up the road.

29 Stumps says it all,lol, Semper Fidelis.

29 not that bad you are about 2 hrs from anything
    hot in the summer spring and fall cold in the winter come to think of it it did suck

Its not that bad. The Single Marine Program does a lot of activities and trips to places like Vegas, Hollywood, disneyland, etc. and its very cheap for you. The base and town have everything you need, bowling alley, golf course, building a new huge PX right now, movie theater for $1, restaraunts, clubs, and so on. You will be here for less than 6 months so your car will be fine.

Average day is like anyother day in the Corps, only better. PT in the morning, go to work (class), get off at 1630, chow X 3, no deployments or time in the field. You will be with Bravo Co. and the 0651 course is one of the harder ones out there. You will earn alot of certifications for the course that will help you if you decide to get out after your time is up.

If you get anything from this, remember these words: No matter what you do, dont be stupid! Go out, have fun, but if you breaking a rule dont be stupid enough to get caught. The biggest problem is underage drinking. I would say 90% of the Marines here do it, the stupid ones get busted.

You have to have a decent GT score to get that MOS so your are intelligent, use your brain to stay out of trouble, and dont smoke spice.

Semper Fi

It's gonna suck more because you're in the Marine Corps then its gonna suck because you're in 29 palms.

Credits
    Savings
    The two times I was there, I liked it better than Lejeune. It comes down to what you make of it. Stay away from the sh!tbirds that sit around b!tching and moaning all the time about how much it sucks and drink all the time.

I couldnt agree more with jrhd97. My first unit was Marine Barracks Guantanamo Bay. Wanna talk about a sh!tty place to be? That was it, but the other Marines in that unit made it a great place. Made some of the best friends ever and had a wonderful tour of duty. Since we couldnt leave base we all hung out together every night and partied every weekend. It was the best duty station I ever had, and everyone told me it was gonna be terrible. Just surround yourself with good people and make the most of your time here.

Thank you Marines. I really appreciate it.

I was in 1/7 both Weapons Platoon A CO and before that Heavy Gunns Patoon WPNS Company, It was way better than nasty Camp Lejunne. It's the dessert. Awesome weight room, awesome base swimming pool, base bowling alley good PX..Drive in movie theatre right off base Riverside an awesome party town only like one hour and half away and the best city in the United States San Diego three hours. You also get to blow up more stuff there than on any other base. I ended up loving the place, you just have to give it time. The first two weeks it'll blow your mind and you will be in shock..also the chow hall and the food was the best i ever had through out my entire time in the Corps and I was stationed on Navy bases a plenty. chin up you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Boot2010 View Post
    Good Morning Marines,
    Not sure if this is the right spot for this topic, but here goes. I just graduated from San Diego. I have Mct in a couple weeks, and after that i'm going to 29 Palms for my school. My mos is 0651 Data Networking. I was told 29 palms is not the best place to be at. What can i expect from my school, and what are the average day like? Does the weather/ Sand really kill your car?
    You can't bring your car or dependents to 29 palms as an 06 MOS. You can if you have a 28xx MOS because the school is longer. You have an 06xx MOS and will be put in Bravo Company, and don't rate a vehicle, nor can you ride with other Marines who do rate a vehicle. Welcome to walking and taxi cabs.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Boot2010 View Post
    Good Morning Marines,
    Buy a crotch rocket and ride it as fast as you can.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Casedizzy2821 View Post
    You can't bring your car or dependents to 29 palms as an 06 MOS. You can if you have a 28xx MOS because the school is longer. You have an 06xx MOS and will be put in Bravo Company, and don't rate a vehicle, nor can you ride with other Marines who do rate a vehicle. Welcome to walking and taxi cabs.
    Is the commander taking kick backs from taxi companies or what?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was 18 at the stumps in 2800 school. Never even went off base. Brought my run time way down cause that was all there was to do.
    We did have the scorpion thing going. You could own one, but you had to dig it up bare handed in front of witnesses. Then you were in the fight club.

Marines always find things to do.

Smile Focus on your studies

I have attended the schools there for 3 summers and played many war games out there as well. My advice to you is:

If you're a good student, focus on your studies. I finished 1/22 and the rewards are great!

Try not to over-indulge in:

1. Drinking

2. Eating

3. Drugs

4. Women looking for husbands...

Find a hobby, befriend guys who share the same values as you. Try bowling, horse shoes, PT, etc. to be the sharpest you can before you report into your first duty station.

Save money!!!

Plan your college career if possible.

Semper Fi!~

Thread Information