Saluting - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saluting

Where in this thread did anyone say anything about Vietnam vets? I’m just saying you should probably give respect to get respect. Also, if you served a couple years and got out decades ago, how are you more “salty” or “senior” than Marines that served more years than you did (thus giving you the right, in your mind, to be snotty to anyone who posts here)? AAV Crewchief, I don’t know what to make of you because your profile is ridiculous and you stated in a previous post that you are now with the Chair Force (meaning you should keep out of this conversation). And yes, we should take care to afford respect to the Marines that are still serving. They are the ones dealing with multiple deployment schedules away from loved ones, getting shot at, blown up, and coming back to train and do everything over again.

ROFL this thread is an EPIC FAILURE for going off topic. For the O/P, like another Marine posted here said, "when in doubt, salute anyways"!

Quote Originally Posted by dback13 View Post
    Since ribbons seem to matter and I probably have more than you two put togetherI jump in. You "old" people want us to get down and blow you guys everytime you post. Look at how this started in this thread. Skosh was being a douche with his post being asked by someone looking for an answer minus the BS. Like you guys say all the time, if you want respect, give. So how about you ****ing not be an ass because the lance wasn't a part of the only war America has lost...ever
    dback - I appreciate your attempt to be the peacemaker here, however, even you must admit that you have failed miserably.

You probably do have more ribbons then we do, you see, back in the day they did not include ribbons in our c-rats. When they teach the engagements that you were involved in at the MCRD as part of Marine Corps history, let me know.

I also find it humorous that you find it necessary to compete with us with how much time you have/had in the MC or how many ribbons you have/had. I for instance to not flaunt my time in the MC or how many ribbons I have or do not have - I simply celebrate every day of my life.

How dare you talk about the only war America has ever lost, we haven't lost in Afghanistan yet. If by chance you are referring to Vietnam read up on your history. The communist NVA overran Vietnam in Feb of 1975. All Marine regiments were pulled out of country in 1971, google it. All you are doing is defaming my Marine Corps with false facts while blatantly showing your total ignorance of our history. To break it down for you (slowly); 1975 minus 1971 equals 4 years. Get it.

And your reference to age, I'm proud of my age because I was born at the best time in all of history. I've seen the best of the old and the best of the new. The ignorance of your youth is glaringly apparent once again. I had the luck of the drawl to be there as Marine Corps history was being written and I could have not done that if I were of any other age. Will you ever be able to say that? As Reagan once said, I refuse to take advantage of your youth.

Before I forget - Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year.

I sincerely wish each and everyone of you the very best - Old Corps and New Corps!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dback13 View Post
    Since ribbons seem to matter and I probably have more than you two put togetherI jump in. You "old" people want us to get down and blow you guys everytime you post. Look at how this started in this thread. Skosh was being a douche with his post being asked by someone looking for an answer minus the BS. Like you guys say all the time, if you want respect, give. So how about you ****ing not be an ass because the lance wasn't a part of the only war America has lost...ever
    You got one thing right. If any war was lost in Nam, America lost it. Not the Marines that fought there. Dont even try to compare the war in Iraq with V.N. Most Marines that served in V.N. saw more combat in thier 13 month tour than youve seen in all your time in the Corps. So why dont you climb down off your high horse before the weight of all your medals pull you off.

Ribbons don't mean ****.

A "beanie" is what is properly called a "watch cap". And the only place you can wear one is in a field environment, so no you don't salute while wearing a watch cap as it's only intended to be worn in the field. Marines don't salute while in the field!

put up a pic of a beanie so we old guys know what you are talkin about..

Quote Originally Posted by hrscowboy View Post
    put up a pic of a beanie so we old guys know what you are talkin about..
    Kinda like this only coyote brown and made out of micro fleece (this is the older model).

And here's a more applicable version:

Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.
    Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Respect for everyone who has come before me, and to those who come after me.

Sadly I have seen this thread go from a reasonable question to a sh!t storm. I acknowledge Marines like to harass each other and seemingly it has been that way for as long as there has been a Marine Corps. Harassment is one thing but insults are quite another. I am not old as some nor as young as others but I earned my title and put in my time. Does it really make any difference if you have a chest full of medals or just one.... OR NONE? Are they less of a Marine than any other who has earned the title?

I will not defend my time in Nam nor will I permit anyone to put down ANY vet. The Marines didn't lose in Nam nor Korea. We did not have the support of the American people. We had government officials...civilians.... directing the war. Our leaders had their hands tied and as such.... we couldn't do our jobs. Please remember those same vets are the ones fighting to make sure that our current and FUTURE Marines are never forgotten nor receive the treatment we received. These same Marines are the ones who meet homebound Marines and members of the other military branches at the airports around the country to welcome them home and to let them know we are proud of them.

Anytime you put a group of Marines together.... there is going to be cheap shots and harassment but I have never expected outright insults and demeaning a Marine due to age, time in, which war or even if they served during a war...or how many medals they wear. Chesty would be rolling over in his grave. His belief was simple.... a Marine is a Marine.

Drop all this crap and remember that these men and women are Marines and deserve respect. They have played or are playing the green game and doing their best to live up to America's, The Marine Corps, and their personal expectations of themselves.

NO MORE BS Please!

And don't forget...just because someone says they are a Marine on an anonymous forum doesn't mean they necessarily are. I keep reminding myself of that when I see some of the cr*p posted on here.

Quote Originally Posted by lastcigar View Post
    And don't forget...just because someone says they are a Marine on an anonymous forum doesn't mean they necessarily are. I keep reminding myself of that when I see some of the cr*p posted on here.

Mel,
    What you are saying could very well be true. I had not even taken that into consideration. I don't mind being harassed by other Marines...hell I expect it but I will never accept being or seeing another Marine insulted by ANYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Mel,
    I will never accept being or seeing another Marine insulted by ANYONE.
    Agreed-100%. But with some of these a**holes it's like arguing with a pig. They will continue to be a pig, you'll be frustrated, and you may get mud on yourself.
    But I understand what you are saying and again, I agree 100%.

Thread Information