Switching to active duty.
Create Post

Switching to active duty.

This Friday Im graduating from my 0231 MOS school as a PFC. Im a reservist and dont want to be. They havent even told me what specific unit Im checking into besides its somewhere in New ORleans. I want to go active duty as soon as possible. Whats the fastest way to achieve this. I dont mind volunteering to get deployed. I want to go to Afghanistan. But how do I go about becoming a regular active duty Marine. The fastest manner possible. Not that activated reservist bullshat. Any help would be great.

SEMPER FI.

Thanks Corpral. Thats just what I was looking for.

Lol, you're probably going to Marine Forces Reserve (MFR) HQ.....this will mean the next highest ranking person in your office will be a Lt. Col. or some crap like that. Maybe a slight exaggeration, but the point is you will have an atypical 0231 experience about as balls deep into the flag pole as is possible for a reservist.

There's an infantry unit, 3/25 I think, that you may end up being in the S-2 shop....not sure if they need a body or not.

I'd let the monitor know before you graduate that you want to be AD vice SMCR as it might be easier for them to make the change before the tag you to a specific unit.

Don't lose you're clearance at Peabody's next weekend!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    The link the Cpl. provided is dead on but let me tell you, from experience, it is not as easy as it makes it out to be.

I have been through the process twice now only to be denied from the AD side. Once you get all the paperwork up your COC and then back down to you you'll have a small window of opportunity to get re-contracted to AD.

I don't mean to be negative by any means but the chances of you getting switched over to AD as a PFC or a LCpl are going to be very low, especially with the Corps being full and soon to be looking at downsizing.

Thanks for all the help and advice. LCpl I heard it's pretty hard like you said. Thats why I thought about getting augmented to a deploying unit and trying to stay attached to them while overseas. This is my life and I dont wanna go back to being a nasty civilian lol..

Thread Information