"All Marines are riflemen" Do you agree? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In boot camp at Parris Island or San Diego, and in the Basic School at Quantico, no one escapes from the Rifleman's Creed. Every Marine is trained, first and foremost, as a rifleman, for it is the rifleman who must close with and destroy the enemy. The rifleman remains the most basic tenet of Marine Corps doctrine. All else revolves around him. Marine Aviation, Marine Armor, Marine Artillery, and all supporting arms and warfighting assets exist to support the rifleman. It is believed that MGen. William H. Rupertus, USMC, authored the creed shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. It is commonly known as the Rifleman's Creed, but it has also been called "My Rifle: The Creed of a United States Marine." Every Marine must memorize this creed. And, every Marine must live by the creed.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.
    My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.
    Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, But Peace!

Enough Said!

Last edited by Rooger; 12-08-10 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Formating

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OOOOOOOOOOO all the testosterone! They even teach us gals how to shoot! I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but, I believe if push came to shove, I could hit well enough. And I was an Ordie!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    ...I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...
    enough said

I'll agree that every Marine is trained as a rifleman and if attacked, every Marine is expected to go on line and repel the enemy. Remember, these are normally defensive positions.

However, the most fearsome understanding our enemy's have in combat against us is when they realize that before them, advancing upon them, is a company of hard core US Marines. Watching a company of grunts as they advance upon an enemy position is a thing of beauty. Every platoon, every squad, every team, every man knowing precisely what to do. No mere rifleman can do this.

Talking My Two Cent!

Every Marine is a Rifleman!

Not every Marine Is an Infantryman!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by martinj View Post
    enough said
    Whatever - get over yourself. It's like everybody says - we are ALL riflemen, all of us are NOT Infantrymen. Face it man - if somebody is coming for your throat, you're going to shoot just like me, you won't have the time to sit there, snap in and take aim. You'll shoot blindly just like anybody else.

Every Marine is still required to qualify with the M-16 annually, yes? As I stated earlier, every Marine is a basic rifleman, regardless of MOS, which is why they are required to qualify annually with their rifle to maintain basic marksmanship qualifications.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My issue was a .45. I guess I was a pistolman. 84, wanna see my pistol?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    84, wanna see my pistol?
    Marine Corps Rod & Gun Club.....

Drink to one and Pis til 2.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wooh,, this is Ask a Marine. I think I'm in deep do-do.

Whatever - get over yourself. It's like everybody says - we are ALL riflemen, all of us are NOT Infantrymen. Face it man - if somebody is coming for your throat, you're going to shoot just like me, you won't have the time to sit there, snap in and take aim. You'll shoot blindly just like anybody else.
    I can guarantee you that I would shoot better than you in that situation. And definitly not blindly...3 well placed shots.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Honey, I would guarantee that you would too - I'm not trying to "take" anything from you or your abilities.

The definition of a rifleman is one that is skilled in the use of a rifle. Since we were all taught how to use one, I think that makes us all riflemen first. Biggest difference between you and I - you got to keep playing with your rifle and I got to go on and play with the big stuff.

OH! And your little 3 shot comment - when you can make it 1, come talk to me.

Credits
    Savings
    Kim, you are jousting with an E-4, with just over a year in service, that graduated bootcamp in Oct 2008, who by his own admission (profile), has never fired a shot in anger.

Get the picture?

OH! And your little 3 shot comment - when you can make it 1, come talk to me.
    Basic CQB techniques - two in the chest, one in the head. It's not a lack of accuracy ("one shot - one kill" nonsense) it's SOP to make sure that they stay down.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureMarine132 View Post
    Now I hear that most pogs will never implement anything they learned from MCT. Do all marines get issued a M16 Rifle? If you wanted to go out there in the field is it a scenario where you would just have to raise your hand? I went AG Contract(Enlisted Aircrew) and because my vision isn't 20/20 I might be placed on the C-130 Gunship. I think the idea of manning the 50cal on the UH-1 is the most exhilarating/badas$ job.C-130 seems kind of squishy and that's not why I enlisted in the Marine Corps.

1) You are a jerkoff.
    2) C-130 gunships as squishy? What the fukk would you know? You haven't done a day on the flight line, flown one mission and the closest you have made it to a gunship is a picture on google images. If your vision isn't 20/20 and you don't have the appropriate color vision, you won't be enlisted aircrew no matter how hard you try. BTW, when did the Marines start flying C-130 gunships? Those are all part of AFSOC.
    3) Join the coasties....you will fit right in.

Thread Information