My chances as 6199
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

My chances as 6199

I want to be a door gunner. I know I could only go 61xx. Are my chances high that I will be assigned to 6199? Do I get a preference? My dream is just to be on the choppers period is 6199 the only mos that allows me to do that?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    no I know a handful of Marine that aren't even in the aviation field that have had the opportunity to man the gun on a helo. I am sure if you are a winger you'd have a better chance but it isn't guaranteed.

Credits
    Savings
    Hmm makes me feel better then. Would I be able to get a MOS change in the same field say if I were just a mechanic or would I have to wait till reenlistment.

Gotta go for air crew, then from their it depends on a lot of stuff. After that you have more school after going through air crew candidate school in Pensacola. Once your finally out of school and on your assigned bird your at the mercy of all the senior guys on who does what on the flights. The higher the chance to shoot at **** the smaller the chance you'll be manning the gun. Also it's more commonly known as Aerial Observer.

Yeah Air Crew is the way to go, poor kids spend half there enlistment waiting for there 2 week schools they have to go to, to pick up...

It's true, at my last school there was a crew chief that wass in for over 2 years because of waiting on class and stuff. They aren't the best at getting people through, especially if you have the smallest thing wrong with you. Flight physicals are ridiculous, then you have to be able to swim and if you don't have perfect eyesight your going to C-130's, or that's the trend at least

Credits
    Savings
    i'm confused though. nothing is guaranteed in the Corps. If I were to go in a as a 6114 would I be able to apply for the flightcrew school or am I stuck being a simple mechanic? also wanted to know my chances going 6199 from the day I graduate recruit training. I know the 02 intelligence field has a majority of their Marines in 0231 is there a majority in this field? Also do I get a preference?

You sign the AG contract I believe, that should be air crew the air crew one, then you go from there. Once you get into Pensacola that is where you will be determined where and what you will be on. Crew Chiefs and such are mechs, they just get to fly. I see ours out working all the time.

Yeah there is a guy here who has been in for 2 years who got hurt during the first 2 weeks here and is just getting held by medical.. must really blow

Flight physicals are no joke man, then getting passed over for classes. Whose the guys thats been there for 2 years. I probably remember seeing him around.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thezero View Post
    You sign the AG contract I believe, that should be air crew the air crew one, then you go from there. Once you get into Pensacola that is where you will be determined where and what you will be on. Crew Chiefs and such are mechs, they just get to fly. I see ours out working all the time.
    So instead of my contract being 61xx it would be called AG which is guaranteed aircrew?

itsy it's something like that. Talk to your recruiter about a specific air crew contract, not a general aviation one.

Credits
    Savings
    itsy it's something like that. Talk to your recruiter about a specific air crew contract, not a general aviation one.
    Alright thanks alot zero appretiate all the feedback.

Credits
    Savings
    Alright thanks alot zero appreciate all the feedback.

Anytime, I may not be a crew chief but I work closely with them on a daily basis. There are also secondary MOS's that will allow you to be a flyer, I just haven't got a lot of detail on that but I will probably ask once theres some time to talk to someone about it

Thread Information