Marine stabbed at Toys for Tots event...
Create Post

Marine stabbed at Toys for Tots event...

from CNN:

Marine at 'Toys for Tots' drive stabbed by theft suspect

By the CNN Wire Staff
    November 26, 2010 10:10 p.m. EST

The suspect attempted to conceal property and was confronted by Best Buy employees, authorities said.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • Marine reservist stabbed while trying to stop suspect, authorities say
    • Cpl. Phillip Duggan released from hospital
    • Marines were conducting "Toys for Tots" drive

(CNN) -- A Marine Corps reservist helping in a "Toys for Tots" drive was stabbed Friday when he grappled with a fleeing shoplifting suspect, authorities in Augusta, Georgia, said.
    Cpl. Phillip Duggan, 24, suffered a single stab wound. He was treated and released from the hospital later Friday, Sgt. Dan Carrier of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office said. "He's doing fine."
    The suspect attempted to conceal property and was confronted by Best Buy employees, authorities said. An employee struggled with the suspect, who brandished a knife. The employees backed away from the armed man to prevent any injury to themselves or customers, Carrier told CNN.
    Duggan and several other Marines wearing their dress blues were conducting the annual toy drive in the breezeway of the Best Buy when they heard the commotion and saw the suspect flee through the store entrance, Carrier said.
    Duggan tackled the suspect and other Marines also moved to stop the suspect, who stabbed Duggan once in the middle of his back, close to his spine, Carrier said.
    "They jumped on top of him, and they pulled him down," said "Toys for Tots" volunteer Larry Frelin.
    "It took about five different people on top of him, but unfortunately he had a knife. He brought the knife around and managed to get it in the back of the Marine," Frelin told CNN affiliate WRDW.
    Tracey Attaway, 39, was in custody Friday night and was charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime, authorities said.
    CNN was unable to reach Duggan or the Attaway residence late Friday.
    "Most people who shoplift don't take it to this extreme," Carrier said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/26/...ex.html?hpt=T2

Not good the young Marine got stabed, but it just shows one that you do not want to get stupid around a group of Marines, you just may in up in jail. Need to fry that scum b*tt.
    Prayers out to the Marine.....

Upholding the tradition of America's 911 force!

S/F

That Marine is an idiot. Damn near paralyzed over some crap from best buy that insurance would cover. Good on him I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hbharrison View Post
    Not good the young Marine got stabed, but it just shows one that you do not want to get stupid around a group of Marines, you just may in up in jail. Need to fry that scum b*tt.
    Prayers out to the Marine.....

Hope Best Buy ponies up for a new Blues blouse for the Cpl. May not have been the smartest move by him, but that was a "heat of the moment" type thing and I'm sure he just reacted.

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgtSki View Post
    Hope Best Buy ponies up for a new Blues blouse for the Cpl. May not have been the smartest move by him, but that was a "heat of the moment" type thing and I'm sure he just reacted.
    Yes, you're probably right. Plus it would have looked bad if the Marines just let him get away.

It just makes me think back to when I worked retail as a teenager. When I was professing my fantasies of chasing down a shoplifter. I had an older, wiser gentleman tell me "there is nothing in this store worth your life". It always stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Casedizzy2821 View Post
    Yes, you're probably right. Plus it would have looked bad if the Marines just let him get away.

It just makes me think back to when I worked retail as a teenager. When I was professing my fantasies of chasing down a shoplifter. I had an older, wiser gentleman tell me "there is nothing in this store worth your life". It always stuck with me.
    As much as I want to think his actions were awesome and good for the Corps public image, I know deep down that it's not rational or the smartest course of action. I'm akin to think that the gentlemen you speak of is wise in that subject.

I commend him, i would do the same thing.

Saying ignorant things like he shouldnt have gotten stabbed over a thing insurance is covering is like saying, lets not go to war over somthing another country can handle.

Thread Information