Instructors at TBS?
Create Post

Instructors at TBS?

I'm trying to do research for something I'm writing and am having incredible trouble finding more info about this topic, so I'm hoping someone who went through the TBS experience can help me out.

For a Marine who is a Gunnery Sergeant, in mid 30's, what would their role be if asked to report for duty at TBS as an instructor? Is this even feasible (ie, is that age too old, or the ranking off)? What are their "day to day" activities?

By browsing the USMC website and the TBS website it seems that the candidates graduate in companies, and each company has a Company Gunnery Sergeant. What is the role of that person? Is that person actually stationed at TBS involved in the day to day, or is it more of an overarching "figurehead" position?

Thank you in advance and thank you to all Marines who devote their incredible service.

Quote Originally Posted by skay210 View Post
    I'm trying to do research for something I'm writing and am having incredible trouble finding more info about this topic, so I'm hoping someone who went through the TBS experience can help me out.

For a Marine who is a Gunnery Sergeant, in mid 30's, what would their role be if asked to report for duty at TBS as an instructor? Is this even feasible (ie, is that age too old, or the ranking off)? What are their "day to day" activities?

By browsing the USMC website and the TBS website it seems that the candidates graduate in companies, and each company has a Company Gunnery Sergeant. What is the role of that person? Is that person actually stationed at TBS involved in the day to day, or is it more of an overarching "figurehead" position?

Thank you in advance and thank you to all Marines who devote their incredible service.
    I would suggest to go to the following thread on OCS and then "Private Message" the individual officers who have posted something on that thread with your question.

Here is the thread: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89794

There are more enlisted Marines who frequent Leatherneck.com than officers, so to speed up your research, I would suggest "Private Messaging" the posters on that thread.

I think you might be facing a little confusion here.

First - officer candidates don't go to TBS - second lieutenants do. Officer candidates are at Officer Candidate School (OCS).

Second - a gunnery sergeant's role at OCS would be radically different than at TBS.

TBS - Enlisted Instructor Company -- there is an EI company at TBS. These Marines do handle some of the instruction (mostly hands on instruction - not necessarily classroom instruction) and also serve as aggressors for exercises at TBS. Most of the classroom instruction at TBS is conducted by company grade officers (Captains). So, a Gunnery Sergeant assigned to TBS in an "instructor" role would probably be the company gunny for the EI company.

I have been told to look in going to be a tbs instructor I am a grunt right now and wondering what I would be doing and how the schedule works if its a good duty?

Thread Information