College after Boot Camp for active?
Create Post

College after Boot Camp for active?

What is the best way to bet a bachlors degree while im on active duty after Boot camp? Is it possible and around how long will it take and what all will i have to do to pick school? I think it depends on where im stationed for my job, which will be either logistics, atrillery cannoneer, fire support man, or ammunition tech. My mom is just really pushing me to get my degree and i agree becuase I really do want one, Im just not getting the info i need to find and really need some help. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated, I am kind of lost right now

It isn't impossible as long as you devote yourself to your education instead of getting drunk at local strip clubs.

You have the options of either going to a local B&M college or enrolling in online classes. The latter is most likely the easier route. TA (tuition assistance) will pay up to 4500 dollars per year toward your courses.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Successfully getting a bachelors degree within a four-year enlistment is very unlikely, particularly with today's op tempo. However, that shouldn't stop you from trying to get as many credits as possible.

Ok i understand now. Any advice on what the best path would be to get an education but not be totally in reserves? I dont even know if thats possible

I would suggest that you CLEP as many classes as you can and you can take 1-2 per semester, depending on your MOS/Unit. Getting a degree shouldnt be too hard, most MOS schools give college credit too.

To be realistic...

1. You can earn a bachelor's degree while on active duty - very achievable.

2. Don't bet on doing it all during your first enlistment - you will be working full time (or more than full time) and going to school part time. You will not get a four year degree in four years of active duty. Sorry, but that's the fact.

3. Boot camp, SOI, and MOS school - then at least a year in the fleet to truly "learn" your primary MOS. Then and only then would I recommend even consider going to college.

4. Much of your military training may draw some college credit - plus, as mentioned above CLEP tests and DANTES DSST tests are ways to earn college credit - the tests demonstrate your mastery of a subject and a certain score will qualify you for credit.

There are a variety of schools present at the base education center at each base. Personally, I am a fan of American Military University (AMU) - an accredited online school that really "fits" with going to school on active duty -- but there are many other choices.

As to your Mom's questions and concerns - yes, it is possible to earn your bachelor's degree on active duty. To be realistic, don't plan on getting it done before your second enlistment

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    To be realistic...

2. Don't bet on doing it all during your first enlistment - you will be working full time (or more than full time) and going to school part time. You will not get a four year degree in four years of active duty. Sorry, but that's the fact.

3. Boot camp, SOI, and MOS school - then at least a year in the fleet to truly "learn" your primary MOS. Then and only then would I recommend even consider going to college.

4. Much of your military training may draw some college credit - plus, as mentioned above CLEP tests and DANTES DSST tests are ways to earn college credit - the tests demonstrate your mastery of a subject and a certain score will qualify you for credit.

There are a variety of schools present at the base education center at each base. Personally, I am a fan of American Military University (AMU) - an accredited online school that really "fits" with going to school on active duty -- but there are many other choices.

As to your Mom's questions and concerns - yes, it is possible to earn your bachelor's degree on active duty. To be realistic, don't plan on getting it done before your second enlistment
    Thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks everyone

If your MOS is going to be infantry. Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    To be realistic...

This is the second or third post I've seen mentioning AMU. I've done a little research on this school resulting in mixed reviews; some think it's great, others think it's a prototypical online college that doesn't hold a candle to traditional universities.

Could you please elaborate on your experiences and opinion of AMU? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by indygti View Post
    This is the second or third post I've seen mentioning AMU. I've done a little research on this school resulting in mixed reviews; some think it's great, others think it's a prototypical online college that doesn't hold a candle to traditional universities.

Could you please elaborate on your experiences and opinion of AMU? Thanks.
    I don’t really want to hijack this thread, so I’ll be brief and if you have specific questions, please PM me – or we could start a separate thread in a more appropriate forum.

Based upon my personal experience (I just finished by 10th course), here is why I like AMU:

1. The coursework is valid – it isn’t a check in the box. You’ll have to work, but you’ll learn good and relevant stuff.

2. They understand the military, and in my experience, respect their students.

3. I’ve had experience with some of the schools that you’ll run into at the base ed center – some are better than others, and some are a waste of time. In my experience, AMU is the best option.

I’ve known a lot of young servicemembers who have gone to school with AMU and it’s made a difference for them.

Like I said, I don’t want to hijack the thread, so I’ll send a PM with some more detail – respond that way if you want to continue the conversation.

Mike

ALWrestler- All have given some great advice but I will throw in my two sense for what is worth. Getting your Bachlors degree is a great goal to have it will benefit you in many ways when if you decide to leave the Corps. With that said, you are a young dude, take a break from the academics for a few short years, enjoy yourself, learn your MOS, learn your place as a Marine and work towards bettering yourself in other ways. Time will fly by so fast you'll look back and wonder where it went. If you decide to get out after your first enlistment I can promise you that you will have a totally different outlook on life and may have new perspective on why you want to pursue your bachelors. Bottom line don't be in such a hurry with everthing, I know Mom wants her son to get his degree but this is your life...college's and University's will still be there when you get out.

Thread Information