Few questions about promotions... (curiousity and understanding purposes)
Create Post

Few questions about promotions... (curiousity and understanding purposes)

So Ive been told so many different things and from Marines who served at different times... this is aimed more towards Marines currently serving or recently left active duty....

How does promotion work in the Marine Corps and what factors play in how and when you get promoted? also ditto that to the officer's side(how officers get selected for promotion)

How can you get Meritorious promotions? Is there a program that allows you to gain promotion such as studying text about like history etc and going up to a review board?(I ask this question because I was told there was a program that allowed you to read books and basically take classes etc on military/Marine Corps related things and you go to a Merit Review board and they question you blah blah blah and you can gain rank up to like Staff Sergeant... and that they had known people who were in for only a few years and already a SNCO...)

How do you move from being enlisted to being an officer? Is it the same as going in straight as an officer? What are some of the differences in being a Mustang and a regular Officer? I know years of service make a difference but that's only in pay correct?

Those are currently the only questions I thought of so far... Thanks Marines.

Oh and in addition to the Meritorious promotion question.... what decides you get a meritorious promotion and how can some one obtain them?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Meritorious promotions are for Marines that basically out perform their current rank. Promotions are meant to challenge a Marine to a new level/rank not to reward them for performing at the current. A lot can factor into a meritorious promotion especially when running against numerous other Marines. MCI's, rifle score, PFT, CFT, other education, billets held are just a few of the main factors that play into a meritorious promotion.

You usually get nominated by your squad leader, Plt. Sgt., or Plt. Commander for such a promotion and review all the things I mentioned above to determine your eligibility.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    As far as officers go, 2nd Lt. to 1st. Lt is a basic TIS/TIG promotion that is automatic like from Pvt. to PFC and LCpl. After 1st Lt. it gets a bit more complicated to Captain. And then you have to be selected for Major and above.

Mustang officers are prior enlisted Marines that have been in the fleet.

If you want to go from being enlisted to being an officer there is a few commissioning programs that are VERY selective. Easiest way would probably to get out after your first tour of duty, go to college and then put in a package to go to OCS.

E-1, E-2 and E-3 are given to you after a certain amount of time. As long as you don't mess up. As for E-4 and E-5, you get a composite cutting score based on time in service, time in grade, PFT, rifle score etc. You can google Marine Cutting score for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    E-1, E-2 and E-3 are given to you after a certain amount of time. As long as you don't mess up. As for E-4 and E-5, you get a composite cutting score based on time in service, time in grade, PFT, rifle score etc. You can google Marine Cutting score for more info.

The times for the ranks are:

E-1 - 0
    E-2 - 6 months
    E-3 - 9 months

Here's a helpful link:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marin...marineprom.htm

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post

Ill check it out thanks Marine.

You CAN get to a meritorous board if you are squared away enough. Does that mean you have to butt kiss? Honestly, that's going to depend...on the unit, the command, the individual Marine. If you really ARE outstanding in your job (as well as the 'whole Marine' concept) then you stand a chance.

Otherwise, time in grade, time in service, all add up. Most Marines get out after 4 years with the rank of Corporal. Note that I said "Most", not "all". It's a crapshoot truth be told, sometimes based on MOS.

And don't let the bitter, "FTS" types disillusion you. Their experience, while valid for THEM, may not be your experience.

Thanks Sergeant. Im not seeking to get promoted or get as far as I can in some short time like some hot ass but, it would behoove me to know some of the opportunities at hand... especially since I currently do not intent to leave the Marine Corps after my 5 years. I do want to be the best Marine I can... scratch that I will be the best and keep improving.... Thanks for all the advice on the subject Marines... if there is any further information its always appreciated...

Thread Information