MSG Update - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSG Update

I don't specifically recall seeing you, but then we have random DoS officials in suits in the building walking around pretty frequently.
    We started getting sprayed at around 1430. I went fairly late in the group, since my partner took it pretty hard.

Yeah it sucked, I can relate!

Rene Briones was an MSG Marine Instructor when I was there in 1997. He is moto!

Where are the board proceedings. I think the place where I did the board is now the current office of the Executive Director, a DoD civilian GS-15.

Yeah, he's still an instructor, and still moto.

We did the board in the CO's conference room next to post 3.

HA, I was in that conference room on Friday, Nov 5th with a DOS TV crew and Rene Briones. He was the DET CMDR in London and came over to Dublin. It was wierd eating chow with him when I was an MSG, having had him as an instructor. Wierd.

I also had a 20 minute meeting with the Executive Director, Mr. Baker.

Good luck. I always wanted to go to the Middle East, but went to Asia instead as my fourth post.

Remember, never have a bad day behind the glass.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Got into a fight with some MSG from Tokyo once. They did not fare well against fleet Marines LOL. One of the guys I went for meritorious CPL with had a black eye from the incident...both of us got promoted but a lot was made out of his "eye" by the board which erupted in argument not over the incident, but that he allowed a non-infantry type Marine to give him a black eye and that personnel who could not fight without getting a black eye were not worthy to be NCOs. Granted this was back in 1984 in another time and another Corps compared to today.

Congrats. I was stationed at MSG Det Brussels, Belgium and Havana, Cuba from Sep96-Apr99. Best duty I have done and rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    They did not fare well against fleet Marines LOL.
    That is funny, to think a fleet Marine is tougher than a "non-fleet" Marine. Or vice versa -- give me a break if your head/ego is that big where you think you are tougher because you are in the fleet then you my friend have some issues. But then again - you are the guy who openly claims air force special operations,, hehe. That is too funny. I'm pretty sure it is the man, not the duty station that makes the fighter. But it's your story so tell it how you want.

Mistybluelady
    Guest Free Member
    Riyad is not so bad.. but Jeddah is better.. my ex was MSG in Jeddah, then Addis Abbaba.... the Marine house has some great parties... good luck and god bless

I think every Marine House had some nice parties

Mistybluelady
    Guest Free Member
    best times of my life in Jeddah were spent inside the Embassay at the Marine House..

How hard was it to get accepted as a LCpl? I heard that they will only consider really squared away LCpls if there aren't enough Corporals. My MOS has been locked out so I won't be seeing a promotion anytime soon.

I went on the program as a L/Cpl. You have been hearing wrong scoop unless the program has changed over the years. I would say 25% of my class was L/Cpl's. As long as you are squared away, have a good PFT, high marks on your Pro's/Con's and no adverse actions you should be good to go to attend school.

Regardless of your rank, the most important asset towards being accepted into the MSG program is the support and confidence of your chain of command. Your pros and cons being good, and your OIC and SgtMaj recommending you with enthusiasm is normally good enough for the Recruiting And Screening Team, RAST.
    The minimum requirements to apply for the program aren't particularly tough, and is pretty much what you'd expect; not being on weight control, having a passing PFT, no NJPs in the recent past, etc.

Ultimately, you simply need to present yourself as the kind of individual who is mature enough, self disciplined enough, reliable enough, and proficient enough to be trusted on a high profile independent duty. That is what is being looked for, and paper qualifications are less important, but should support that presentation of yourself if you expect to succeed.

Most junior Marines who go to the school are corporals simply because they pick up rank before reaching the level where they and their superiors feel they have reached that level and they finish the screening process. One of the requirements for going is meeting a 18 month time on station minimum in your original MOS, which more many MOSs is enough time to pick up Cpl in the natural course of events. Depending on your MOS though, you may still be a LCpl and that isn't held against you.

In my class about 10 or so Marines, including myself, were LCpls, and all of those that remained to graduate either picked up rank while in school, or are senior enough that we will certainly be promoted in january with or without the 100 bonus points unless our MOSs close. 90% of the class consisted of Cpls of varying seniority.

In your case, Im sure you will encounter no obstacle towards being accepted into the program.

I hope I answered your question. If there's any other information I can help you with let me know.

I picked up CPL 2 months after graduation.

Thread Information