Advice for a wanna be
Create Post

Question Advice for a wanna be

I am 21 years old (22 in January) and decided this spring I wanted to join the Marines, long story short I have always wanted to be a Marine since i was a little boy and now its time to prove i got what it takes to be a Marine! I was 245 pounds at the time and began working out and 7 months later I stand between 220-215 pounds. I have talked to a recruiter and gone to several PT's, But I respect them enough not to want to waste there time with a fat body like myself. I kinda have an idea the diet part but I would like some help with it and my PT. I have been reading allot of things on here ( yes up till now I have been a lurker) and have been googling different workouts i even bought a book called "The United States Marine Corps Workout". Some of the information seems to contradict its self so I would like to hear from someone who has been in my position(fat body) or any Marine who could give some advice.

Pull-ups: Currently I can only do a 1-2 pull ups I know its not a lot. I have about 40 pounds I need to loose still so I do have some dead weight holding me down but I have seen videos of 300+ pound people doing pull- ups. I just need to build muscle. I currently do push ups, negatives, and run when i get a chance or get off early from work. and lately i have not been working out due to it getting cold weather Is there any other exercise that you can recommend that would help?

Running: i have not yet timed myself, but it always seems like my lungs want to explode before my legs want to quit on me. Is there any training program you can recommend? I currently run at max effort 1/2 mile increments but when I try to push one run to 3/4 mile I cant make it, I guess I don't seem to be making any progress is what I am saying.

Also Would it be better if i went to UTI and try and get into the DEP. Get certified for automotive and diesel while i get in better shape or should I just go into the marines first and then UTI because i am debating on which would be the best choice. Also am I too old for the DEP?

My goal is to become a Marine.

Thank you for taking the time to read this Marines!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    First off no you are not too old to DEP in and join, I was 23 when I DEP'd and turned 24 at boot camp.

As for pull ups and running, the only way to really improve either of those is to keep doing them and push yourself past your limit each time.

I would never tell anyone to quit school or not go but if being a Marine is what you really want and you have to do all this work to get into shape to enlist then I would suggest just focusing on losing weight in order to get yourself into a position to become a Marine.

You need to run every day. If it's cold out, wear a few layers. If you can't even run a mile without stopping, they won't let you in. For the pull ups, buy a pull up bar and do pyramids. Start with one pull up, then do 10 push ups. Then do 2 pull ups, and 20 pushups. Etc, etc, and work your way back down. I know you have do be able to do at least 3 pull ups before you can even ship to boot camp, but the recruiters at my office aren't shipping out anyone who can't do 5. You also need to work on your crunches every day. Do at least 100 crunches every day, and do more each day as you progress. I think the biggest thing you have to worry about is your run, but keep working on it.

UTI and MMI is a waste. You will learn more on the job than wasting 20k on a year long school on how to change oil. I have never met a tech who went to school like that. Our master techs just started at a dealer and worked their way up. Studied and passed the ASE exams and completed the factory training. I would recommend a Ford dealer. Great training. As far as PT KEEP doing it. It hurts, it sucks but you feel good after. Running, start week one doing one mile warm up, stretch then 1 mile run and bump it up each week. Pull ups suck donkey balls, the only way to get better is to keep doing them!

Thanks for the advice you have given me I really appreciate it.

Is there any websites or book you can recommend me to?

Thread Information