Finally Decided To Follow My Dream
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Finally Decided To Follow My Dream

Greetings to all of you great Marines out there. I finally decided to pursue my goal of 10 years and enlist in the Corps (I have let others talk me out of it before now). I have been working with my recruiter for about a month and just completed my first trip to MEPS yesterday. My recruiter and I were both worried about my ankle due to me having surgery on it in 06 and having two screws inserted. Thankfully I got the all clear on it from the doctor. Unfortunately I failed my hearing test twice. The doctor recommended me for a waiver and the Marine Corps. liason at the MEPS had me fill out a "Why I Want To Be A Marine" statement and got my paperwork filed. I know you Marines on here are not doctors or recruiters, but my recruiter was not much help when I spoke to him about it. (He acted as if he had never heard of a waiver for this and even seemed angry that I did no pass) I was just wanting to see if any of the Marines on here had any advice on if I should wait to see if I get approved for this waiver, or try to get another hearing test. I have never had any problems before this, and honestly I am disappointed in myself for this. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give and also thank every one of you for your service.

Wait it out and see what happens with the waiver. The worst thing you can do is sit there and let everyone deal with your situation without fully understanding what's going on. If you failed a test you need definitive answers as to why and how to remedy the issue.

If I were you, I wouldn't give a crap if about your recruiter being angry, if you truly didn't know you had a problem then he has no reason to be angry. Just continue on doing what you need to do to enlist; persistence pays off.

Well first of all are you a poolee or a Marine friend k9campbell. It sounds to me like your one confused indiviual, and you probably ask why but here is what I get from your post. (I have let others talk me out of it before now). So basically you let other scum of the earth make your decisions in life for you. Thats what i get from it, and maybe I am wrong. If your hearing is that jacked up where you fail a hearing test twice. What are you gonna do if or when you get to Recruit Training and the Drill Instructors just start screaming orders at you? are you gonna say oh excuse me sir, I am pretty much deaf so you might wanna get alittle closer so i can hear you. If you feel that a waiver is necessary to get in then I say go for it. Just remember one thing, once you get to Recruit Training the DI's are not going to whisper in your ears they scream with vengence, and they wil scare the crap out of you. If your recruiter helps you get a waiver or what not then he feels you are probably capable of completeing training, but make sure you ultimately stay on ur recruiters case about doing whatever it is you need. Also you need to change your status to Poolee.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you sir. I appreciate it more than you know.

No problem. PM me if you have any questions regarding training

Campbell,
    If you truthfully want to be a Marine....don't let anything get in your way. Recruiters can act as angry as they want but at the end of the day.... they need and want you. Turn down your stereo/ipod/whatever and rest your ears for a while. Retake the test and see what happens.

Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks so much Marines. I have already turned everything in my life down to half of what it was. I will definitely keep at this until I succeed. As for my recruiter, I'm not worried about him at all. As long as he does his part, he can think whatever he wants. I will keep you posted as soon as I receive any information.

You've almost achieved your dream of becoming on of the world's finest. You will not regret your diligence at reaching your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    You've almost achieved your dream of becoming on of the world's finest. You will not regret your diligence at reaching your goal.
    , Semper Fidelis.

have you had your ears cleaned? If you havent within a year go to an ENT or hearing center and have them flush and pull the wax out. Thats what I did. they pulled out so much wax I would have failed if I didnt get them checked. I used q tips and pushed all that gunk into my ears! Im dead serious on this bro. DO IT

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3521 View Post
    have you had your ears cleaned? If you havent within a year go to an ENT or hearing center and have them flush and pull the wax out. Thats what I did. they pulled out so much wax I would have failed if I didnt get them checked. I used q tips and pushed all that gunk into my ears! Im dead serious on this bro. DO IT
    I will definately look into this. I just cleaned them with q tips and they didnt seem that dirty but plan on making an appointment with an ENT to see if I really have hearing issues, or just a bad day with the tests. Thanks a lot.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry it has taken so long to get back on here, but after several phonecalls and some more waiting, I finally got an answer. I got a no go from BuMed. Now, I'm just looking for any advice if there is anywhere I can go from here, or is this the end of the line? The recruiter I talked to said there was nothing else I could do, but I'm not willing to just give up that easily. Thanks for any advice.

Go see your personal doctor and have them run a hearing test. If you pass get him to recommend a you fit for duty. It helped me. I didnt have a hearing issue but it had to do with my knee. Be prepared for a long process.

If BuMed turned you down that means that they aren't going to entertain the idea that you are waiverable. While Cash's suggestions are not bad ones, BuMed is likely to go with what THEY think, rather than your personal doc.

Not saying the process is over but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the replies. That is what I was afraid of, but I guess there is not much I can do. I already saw an ENT about my hearing and the result was about the same. I have slight hearing loss in the higher frequencies, but other than that I am fine. I guess I'll just hope and pray something changed. Thanks again, for everything you all do.

Thread Information