joining with kids
Create Post

joining with kids

okay my question is i have a son right now and a girlfriend that works. we are expecting our second child soon yeah i no i am young with soon to be two kids, i have been looking on the internet and have found out that i can only have two dependents and my girlfriend works so my question is do i have to put all three or can i just put down my children? i know that having three dependents will make it harder to get in and the Marines is the only branch of service i want to go in. so can i just put my two children down for my dependents? sorry for the long question just confused.

Jacob - first, please fill out your profile.

Second, it's going to be tough to get by with two kids on PFC pay or even lance corporal pay under two years.

Third - when you fill out your tax return, do you list your girlfriend as a dependent?

no i don't list anyone as a dependent, right now she is listing our son as a dependent for her tax return.

Do you intend to have them under your military benefits -- military health care?

yes i plan on having both kids under my benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by h8choo2 View Post
    yes i plan on having both kids under my benefits.
    Your children are your dependents. Your girlfriend is just that (your girlfriend) until you're married, then she becomes your dependent.

thank you MGySgtSki, do you think i will have any problems enlisting?

Stay where you are, get a job and take care of your children.

Yes, you will have problems enlisting. You are going to require a '2 dep' waiver more than likely, and that's not going to make you very competitive. Furthermore, how is your future wife going to handle you being gone, first for 3 months (Recruit Training) then MOS school (who knows how long) then deployed when you get to the FMF? (6 months, not counting workups prior to the deployment).

I predict that a divorce is in your future. Sorry but that's through experience. She'll be miserable, you'll be miserable, and won't be able to concentrate on BEING a Marine, instead you'll be worrying about baby food diapers money car broke down money and she'll be 'I hate this freakin place I wanna go home this isn't what you promised me life sucks here are the divorce papers'.

Hard words but I've seen this little scenario play out countless times.

I agree with Sgt. Leprechaun, life will be extremely rough the for at least the first couple of years. However, for all of the failures I've seen, I've also witnessed things work out ok from time to time. I spotted a buddy an extra $20 for diapers here and there when he was really hurting for cash. Then he picked up Cpl and always took care of me. Sometimes **** just works out. It all comes down to your attitude and how bad you want something.

Agree with the Cpl on this. It's certainly POSSIBLE. But the odds are stacked against you from the 'gitgo'.

All aforementioned true BUT if this is something you truly want, then go for it. Don't let the fear become a regret.

This has already been answered, but you have 2 dependents not 3. Your girlfriend is not your dependent. She would only be your dependent if you two were married.
    Having dependents requires waivers. Generally speaking, waivers make you less competitive for enlistment.
    Your family life will suffer greatly, and you will very likely not be able to provide any real financial care to your family with the pay you will receive in your first few years in the Marine Corps.

Prior to the involvement of children, I would've suggested to you that you do whatever you would like to do with your life. If you want to become a Marine, I would've suggested to you that you become a Marine. However, you have children. You're no longer responsible for just yourself; you're responsible for those two children. Every decision you make from now on should factor the possible effects on your children. If you become a Marine it will affect them and in turn affect your ability to be focused on being a quality Marine. You should probably square away your family situation before you try enlisting in the Marine Corps.

Thread Information