First time mother...active duty Marine - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

Samantha Swann

First time mother...active duty Marine

Rate this Entry
I was wondering if there were any female Marines out there that could give me some advice on being a first time mother while also serving on active duty. My husband and I are expecting our first child in July of this year and I'm alittle nervous with how much the Marine Corps is willing to work with new parents. My husband is also a Marine and we're stationed overseas so things are alittle less leniant than in the states. If any Marine mothers have any advice on babies or on being an active duty mother, please speak freely. It will be greatly appreciated.

Updated 01-19-10 at 10:35 PM by Samantha Swann

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What do you mean by "willing to work with?" Be prepared to split the duties with your husband and don't expect to be treated any differently than other Marines in your grade. Don't expect to be spared from deployment or duty because you have a child and be fully prepared to leave your child with someone when you and your husband are deployed at the same time. Your Family Care Plan should reflect who that person is. Most daycares on base are open from 6 to 6 and be prepared to be on a waiting list for a while- start looking for places out in town or home care providers. You might also want to find a place that takes "over-nighters"- you're going to need one and always at the last minute. Be prepared to pay more- base daycare is based on your income, and overnighters can be expensive- but what other choice do you have. You can only use "good graces" so many times. You have a lot to work out, but it is possible. Understand that other Marines are doing the same thing everyday- so don't expect much sympathy. Ever wonder why your SDI told you not to have a baby in your first four years?? It isn't easy by far.