Trying to get into Recon. - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

bchobbbes

Trying to get into Recon.

Rate this Entry
I am a LCPL currently serving in the Marine Reserves. I am trying to go active duty with a lat move to 0321 Recon. While talking to a recruiter, he told me I could not choose my MOS if I were to go active duty, it would be based on the needs of the Marine Corps. However, he did say that I could tryout for recon from any MOS when a slot becomes available. My question is, is this true? And if so, how often do these slots open for tryouts? I don't feel this recruiter is lying to me, but I do get the sense that he is filling in the gaps of what he doesn't know with guesses. My research has turned up nothing and most sources of info are several years old. A couple other questions if anyone knows: Does Force Recon still exist? If so, how does one go about getting into it as opposed to regular recon? Is there still an Indoc or screening for recon? Any help is encouraged and appreciated.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hey bchobbes,

Well you've come to the right place for answers. First off to answer your last question does Force Recon still exist? Yes and No. Currently there are three (3) Active Reconnaissance Battalions - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Special Operations Command - Formerly Marine Detachment (MarDet Force). Now Marine Special Operations Battalion (MSOB) - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd MSOB Commands. To answer your first question about if the Recruiter is telling you the truth? He may not know all of the requirements. I would go and see your Career Counselor. Or better yet get in contact with the 0321 Monitor at Enlisted Assignments Branch (MMEA) HQMC and talk to him directly. You have to be PROACTIVE! Express your sincere desire to go RECON! Also go to Marines.mil to check all of the Recon Bn and MSOB units in the Marine Corps. Just a little background on myself I retired from the Marine Corps after serving close to 22 years in the "Recon Community". To let know also there are screenings at the command level and if you get a chance, visit the Basic Reconnaissance Course(BRC), Advance Infantry Training Battalion (AITB) of the School of Infantry (SOI West), Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California website for more details. The only Recon school right now is located at the School of Infantry, Camp Pendleton, CA.

Here's their link:

http://www.pendleton.usmc.mil/school...ew/ait/rtc.htm

Here's a link that gives a brief description about the course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...aining_Company

Also you might want to visit this website:

http://www.forcerecon.com

Get familiar with the SitRep link and get all of the current Ops.

Some Known Requirements, but not limited to:
    (Maybe a little outdated)

0321 MOS Open to All MOSs

-1st Class PFT
    -A good swimmer (CWS-2 min. swim qual?)
    -U.S. Citizen
    -No recent NJPs
    -Able to obtain a "S" Clearance.
    -ASVAB GCT Score 105.
    -No medical conditions that would preclude you from training.

Hope this helps?

Semper Fidelis,

alexanderrw